Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is jail time excessive for saggin your pants?
Yes 124 75.15%
No 41 24.85%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:34 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've worn a uniform most of my life. Easy as pie. Uniforms are not a "special set of clothes," they are merely additional items of clothes. If a kid is going to have five sets of pants, two of them are uniform pants. "Express themselves" is not even an issue. They can write a poem if they want to express themselves.
Same here..I wore a uniform for 24 years, never considered it to be interfering with my 'self expression'. I always wished that when my boys were in junior high that they had uniforms, I was a single mom and struggling at the time, it was tough to justify buying them levis when wrangler jeans were half the price, but if they didn't wear what the other kids considered 'fashionable' they would get teased about it. Uniforms would have put a stop to all of that nonsense.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:11 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
This is racism. People need to respect other cultures and customs.

Pants Down. Don't Hate.
Your statement is tying race to indecency. Are you saying it is a races right to be indecent in public? You are insinuating that if a race adopts a custom that other races find distasteful then said races should look the other way simply because that race now upholds that custom as its own. You are saying one cultures views must adapt to another cultures views. Your statement is actually racist.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:14 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Small segment of a culture adopts the practice of displaying underwear.
Authorities uphold indecency laws.
Segment at large takes note and calls it racism.

Yep, sounds like modern day America.

The sad fact is some of these youth defied authorities to make a point, and have in turn thrown away their futures. Pick your battles. Free speech, voting rights, rights to go to the same school, those were issues that spawned Civil rights legends.....the right to wear your pants on the ground? No.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Saggy pants are obnoxious for sure, and I think the style is ridiculous. Everytime I see some knucklehead walking around with them I want to say "pull your damn pants up, you moron!" Having said that, do we really need more nanny state BS telling folks how to dress? I mean it's clear that most of these people who sag more than likely have a low I.Q. anyway, but there is no law against being unintelligent!
This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
How many white dudes have been arrested for showing their butt cracks while working on a roof or doing some other outdoor work? At least the kids with the saggy pants aren't wearing under-sized and/or saggy underwear!
LOL! Good point.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
I've worn a uniform most of my life. Easy as pie. Uniforms are not a "special set of clothes," they are merely additional items of clothes. If a kid is going to have five sets of pants, two of them are uniform pants.

"Express themselves" is not even an issue. They can write a poem if they want to express themselves.
And that is you but likely the majority of public school students dont feel the same. Its not that two of them are uniform pants its that they look just like the other 1000 students. And yes a uniform is a special set of clothes. It is a special set of clothes you wear that identifies you as, in this example, a student at XYZ high school, or a police officer, or a McDonalds employee.
As I said some people like uniforms, but the majority do not so why require something that the majority does not want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Same here..I wore a uniform for 24 years, never considered it to be interfering with my 'self expression'. I always wished that when my boys were in junior high that they had uniforms, I was a single mom and struggling at the time, it was tough to justify buying them levis when wrangler jeans were half the price, but if they didn't wear what the other kids considered 'fashionable' they would get teased about it. Uniforms would have put a stop to all of that nonsense.
I found, raising kids, that other kids will find something else to tease them about. I tell my gkids to be proud of who they are and that its not what brand clothing you wear or if you have the latest electronic gadget or what house you live in that makes you, it is the content of your character. And this holds true for wearing uniforms and looking just like everyone else too, but looking like everyone else wont stop the teasing.

Again, some people like uniforms, some people dont but apparently the majority of students and parents do not.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And that is you but likely the majority of public school students dont feel the same. .
The majority of public school students would just as soon be at home playing video games. It's not an issue that necessarily needs to be left to them.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
The majority of public school students would just as soon be at home playing video games. It's not an issue that necessarily needs to be left to them.
Why not? Why should the students not have a say. They are generally at school 8 hours or more a day. Why should they not have input into minor policy. Did you wear a uniform in school or was it for a job?

What about the teachers, administrators and staff. Should they also be required to wear uniforms identifying them as such.

And you know even if they were required to wear a uniform yo dont think some of those students might wear the pants down about their thighs with their boxers showing?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:59 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Why not? Why should the students not have a say. They are generally at school 8 hours or more a day. Why should they not have input into minor policy. Did you wear a uniform in school or was it for a job?

What about the teachers, administrators and staff. Should they also be required to wear uniforms identifying them as such.

And you know even if they were required to wear a uniform yo dont think some of those students might wear the pants down about their thighs with their boxers showing?
If the rationale for no uniforms is "free expression," then there is zero rationale for not letting them wear their pants around their thighs.

At some point we say "screw self expression," and adults set that point...wherever we want.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
If the rationale for no uniforms is "free expression," then there is zero rationale for not letting them wear their pants around their thighs.

At some point we say "screw self expression," and adults set that point...wherever we want.
Im not understanding what the rationale for requiring uniforms is. I think there is a big middle ground. Most schools have a reasonable dress code that is followed by the students. There may be an occasional slip up that is addressed by a warning, sending the student home to change and if continued a meeting with the parents. Freedom of expression doesn't have to mean anything goes.

I'm glad our school board is open to input from parents, students and the community and not a dictatorship of "adults" who are most often very distanced from the school atmosphere and student needs. Probably the same "adults" who thought it was a good idea to have students arrested for wearing baggy pants to school.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:16 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
I dont understand your question?
No question for you. I agreed with your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
What if they have shorts on under their pants and not boxers? Seems to me that many boxers now are pretty much just like shorts. I don't know about you but I wouldn't be looking that close to tell.

What's with the resource officer staring at the kids butt?

Seriously it looks like crap but no skin is exposed so I'm going to have to agree with

Your statement so I quoted you here
I went on to state

So are we going to start measuring the thickness of all clothes? The rear is covered.
What I meant of the part of the quote you copied was (it was a question to those that thought it was great they were arrested.)

Boxer vs shorts? The butt is still covered. Does it matter what we call the undergarment? The thickness in the material of both are pretty similar and it doesn't expose bare skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.