Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is jail time excessive for saggin your pants?
Yes 124 75.15%
No 41 24.85%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 05:57 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Town has a law.

You don't like the law.

You obey the law.

You work on getting the law changed.

Law gets changed, you are happy and get to do the formerly illegal thing.

OR

Law doesn't get changed, and you are disappointed but continue to obey the law and either get over your disappointment or try again to get it changed.

^^^ This is what mature people do. It's not as exciting. It won't win a suit, or get you on TV. But, it works.
It was not a law, it was a school dress code.

You don't put kids in jail for violating a school dress code.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

Notice its not 99% of the school kids getting in trouble for sagging their pants, its the few rebellious ones that know the school rules, yet IGNORE them and do as they please. There are consequences for breaking rules, even if they are extreme and stupid as sending a kid to jail for saggin pants. I dont believe people should be locked up for weed vs getting treatment, but the law is the law and if it is not followed, you will end up in jail.
Yes but the punishment for saggy pants is a fine, not jail time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good grief! Is this still a thing? It's 2015. But maybe not, in Tennessee.
Seriously Ruth, there are saggy pants laws/bans in many states, yeah even northern states, so obviously its still a thing in 2015 all over the country. Why you be hating on Tennessee.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:58 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
what get me is all the people here that are for sagg pants but nobody will say why they like saggy pants, it has nothing to do with right, its all common sense and why even think that way. My generation has let america down.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
what get me is all the people here that are for sagg pants but nobody will say why they like saggy pants, it has nothing to do with right, its all common sense and why even think that way. My generation has let america down.
I dont like saggy pants but I dont believe the government should have the right to jail people for wearing them, or fine them for that matter.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:22 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Who said they liked saggy pants? I don't think anyone has said that in this thread.

They just don't engage in binary thought, that "If I don't like it, there ought to be a law against it."

Old 12-16-2015, 06:26 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
All this is just to criminalize being black in America. I think dressing like that is tacky and low class, but hardly something to throw people in jail for. I mean, where did the term plumbers crack come from? But because plumber are usually white middle class, no laws for them to pull their pants up. This country will leave no stone unturned to criminalize blacks with the hopes of taking away their voting rights among other things. Many times you can't even see these young men's butts, just their underwear.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:32 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
All this is just to criminalize being black in America. I think dressing like that is tacky and low class, but hardly something to throw people in jail for. I mean, where did the term plumbers crack come from? But because plumber are usually white middle class, no laws for them to pull their pants up. This country will leave no stone unturned to criminalize blacks with the hopes of taking away their voting rights among other things. Many times you can't even see these young men's butts, just their underwear.
Good analogy. It is no different than how fighting is accepted in the NHL and the players are considered normal. Yet, when players engage in a rare altercation in the NBA or NFL, the racists start screaming "thugs."

Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Interesting. They aren't showing any skin... but people are still offended.

What are their laws against cleavage?

I think I know what this odd law is really all about.
If you're going to make it fair and equal bringing in cleavage then we'd have to compare the two.

The pants were not even on the kids butt, they were belted onto his Thighs

This is equating to a woman basically not wearing a shirt, but wearing only a bra.

These are sex crimes. These are people breaking the law to appease their exhibitionism side.

It will probably escalate into truly sexually abusing someone if not addressed. The kid is still young so Jail is not necessarily the best way imho. Maybe wearing an ankle bracelet and community service will do the trick so this doesn't escalate into flashing, or rape.

As someone pointed out, putting a person in jail criminalizes them. When you could've maybe prevent this person from turning into a serious full blown criminal. And they just go about being a normal person in society, getting over this weird exhibitionist phase in the teen years

Old 12-16-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
This makes no sense. No one is criminalizing a specific race with writing those laws, the law is the law.

And plumbers pants fall down partially due to their working, bending over in the line of duty. So we'd expect that kind of exposure, TEMPORARILY. As with any Construction workers who must bend over and be so physical as part of the job.

They don't just walk around exposing their butt crack all day long, walking around town if that is what you are implying.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont like saggy pants but I dont believe the government should have the right to jail people for wearing them, or fine them for that matter.
I wear saggy pants. This isn't about that. It's about kids not even covering up their behind but strappng their pants to their THIGHS. There are no pants, essentially.

This thread title is A LIE. No one was arrested for baggy pants, gimmie a break
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.