Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:02 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,203,652 times

Advertisements

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/ed...icle-1.2467351
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:18 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,177,836 times
Thanks for posting. Good story.

Quote:
The achievement gap faced by black and Hispanic students has also narrowed a s those students made bigger graduation rate gains than white students since 2010.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Better - but not good enough. On to 83%! (I don't say this disparagingly - it's just that there's more work to be done)

Education is a tremendous resource. Dollars invested in educating the future adults of society are dollars that provide a many-fold return on that investment. Kudos to those working to this end! (and a bane on those who work tirelessly to hinder education in this country - you know who you are)

Old 12-16-2015, 09:49 AM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
The public school system in Kansas City only graduates around 2/3rds....but since the private schools are good, the city is a democratic bastion and the affected kids are poor and mostly minority.....the purveying attitude is to ignore the problem.

They keep getting "provisional accreditation" based on "improvement" but around the country we've seen similar school districts generate improvement by actually letting the worst students just drop out and not be counted...or telling them to be sick on test day etc.

It's pretty much a disgrace.

Please note I don't blame the teachers, they can't force anybody to do homework, show up to class etc.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
I think parents are mostly the issue when kids don't graduate/graduate on time/do well in school/care about school. I'm not sure how to fix issues at home but even in my nice wealthy largely white town where like 99% graduate high school, that small 1% came from worse off families, maybe with an alcoholic or single parent, parents you just know from going to school with the kid for 13 years don't care and aren't that great, etc. This was the case for the few in my year that did not graduate.

There will never be a 100% graduation rate. Even if we fix every issue, some kids just don't care enough about education. There will always be dropouts IMO, at the least.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
I don't think the Department of Education should be patting themselves on the back for an earth shattering 0.9% improvement year-over-year. Also, the improvement can also be attributable solely to a slight smarter class of seniors compared to the previous year. However, I am glad that the improvement seems to be a trend. Go NYC public schools!

Mick

Old 12-16-2015, 09:58 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Credit to the "dumbing down" of our educational system.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:08 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think parents are mostly the issue when kids don't graduate/graduate on time/do well in school/care about school. I'm not sure how to fix issues at home but even in my nice wealthy largely white town where like 99% graduate high school, that small 1% came from worse off families, maybe with an alcoholic or single parent, parents you just know from going to school with the kid for 13 years don't care and aren't that great, etc. This was the case for the few in my year that did not graduate.

There will never be a 100% graduation rate. Even if we fix every issue, some kids just don't care enough about education. There will always be dropouts IMO, at the least.
I agree. Most people don't understand that in horrible public schools, students cannot learn. Why? Because the other students are so damn unruly that teachers spend 1/2 of the class time to settle down the wild animals masquerading as humans, losers proactively impede the learning of serious students, and good students are subjected to verbal and physical harassment for being just that. The parents of those kids might simply don't know any better to rear and discipline them properly, they condone such activities, or they are busting their butt working multiple jobs and don't have time to watch over the kids as carefully. But it's a huge problem. Ask me how I know.

My point is that, when we talk about "privilege," it's not always about daddy buying you a new BMW, boat or Seadoo, or paying an exorbitant private school tuition, hiring a tutor or paying for all the extracurricular activities. It's also about having an environment where you can actually learn in peace (if you want to). Some kids really don't have it, and we are asking them to compete with normal kids? For many, that's a mission impossible. In that kind of school, you'd be lucky to get 2 kids going to decent 4-year college from a class of 30. Seriously.

Mick

Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
glad they absorbed all that useless information.

My god, what would we do if less than 82% of kids could identify all the layers of an onion skin under a microscope?

high school is probably as big a waste of time as anything in our modern world.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:16 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
glad they absorbed all that useless information.

My god, what would we do if less than 82% of kids could identify all the layers of an onion skin under a microscope?

high school is probably as big a waste of time as anything in our modern world.
They can use the onion skill after they factor a polynomial (Another skill that is worthless for all but a few).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events