Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I bet no one told them it was cold and snowed in Finland. An idea, go home, defend your country.
No one told them they wouldn't get lavish subsidies either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:18 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, I understand their troubles, the situation is not ideal. You have to remember that we are getting 10 times the refugees that we do in a normal year. Finnish facilities have not been ready for this influx. The refugees are practically confined to the reception centres, have nothing to do but sleep and eat. I understand well that they are frustrated. As their movement is very restricted and have very few possibilities to get in touch with the locals or go out for coffee or something. Also many of the centres are in very rural areas, so not having a car restricts movement even further. The situation isn't much better than being in a POW camp.
In a normal situation they would have Finnish language courses, would go out with an adviser to open a bank account, and get prepared for normal life. Like teaching how to use a laundry machine, or that men and women are equal. Now when there is so many of the refugees, we simply don't have the resources.

And of course it's a culture shock for them. Why wouldn't it? Different climate. Temps in the low 40's F, maybe some snow later in the week, and it's the darkest time of the year. Different culture. Social norms and culture very different from the Arabic peninsula. No money, nothing to do. Different cuisine. They get what we eat: salmon, meatballs, potatos, pasta, chicken, minced meat, eggs, rye bread, yoghurt, apples, blackberries, strawberries, cucumber, salads... Normal Northern European food.

All this shows, and we have seen the same development in our Northern neighbours too. The genuine refugees have for many parts already arrived, and these late arrivals are often economic immigrants who have been lied to. No, Finland is not an Arabic state where you get hummus, women are veiled, you can immediately start to work on a construction site and get paid in cash every Thursday. Maybe these outbursts will help the authorities too to define if the refugees are genuine or just golddiggers.

However, a new legislation is being brought forth that refugees will be forced into work parties to pay for their upkeep. As harsh as it sounds, it's mostly to battle these problems I mentioned earlier, to activate these people. Like simple education and light work like cleaning up in parks or working in the kitchens.
Wow, a reply from someone who is from Finland! Yes, most of the migrants are economic migrants. They don't want to be in Finland - they want to be in Germany, or the UK. I think Finland is right to assist them in getting back home. After all, if they were truly refugees, and the situation at home improved enough for them to go home, isn't that the goal?

Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So-o......what are they serving for food in Finland these days?
Finnish food is heavenly.

But yeah, it doesn't really resemble any type of Middle Eastern food at all.

And food matters more than one might think. I don't like Italian or Greek food myself, so those would not be ideal places for me to live. Even traveling there, I got weary of the food quickly (I'm stubborn about not eating anything but actual local food when I travel).

Old 12-15-2015, 11:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What made it our business? Well you may be the magical person on the Internet that does not use oil or plastics and other goods made from petrochemicals but the majority of people do use them, even those that opposed the war/supported Saddam.
We can use petrochemicals and still not think that we are entitled to them.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:35 AM

215 posts, read 185,438 times
My kind of place lol (in response to the original post)

Lots of smart techy people over there too it seems
Like a place for intelligence
Must be something in the water
I just might go there

Old 12-15-2015, 12:55 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Why did something have to be done about Saddam? Who made it OUR business?
Oil.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:02 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, I understand their troubles, the situation is not ideal. You have to remember that we are getting 10 times the refugees that we do in a normal year. Finnish facilities have not been ready for this influx. The refugees are practically confined to the reception centres, have nothing to do but sleep and eat. I understand well that they are frustrated. As their movement is very restricted and have very few possibilities to get in touch with the locals or go out for coffee or something. Also many of the centres are in very rural areas, so not having a car restricts movement even further. The situation isn't much better than being in a POW camp.
In a normal situation they would have Finnish language courses, would go out with an adviser to open a bank account, and get prepared for normal life. Like teaching how to use a laundry machine, or that men and women are equal. Now when there is so many of the refugees, we simply don't have the resources.

And of course it's a culture shock for them. Why wouldn't it? Different climate. Temps in the low 40's F, maybe some snow later in the week, and it's the darkest time of the year. Different culture. Social norms and culture very different from the Arabic peninsula. No money, nothing to do. Different cuisine. They get what we eat: salmon, meatballs, potatos, pasta, chicken, minced meat, eggs, rye bread, yoghurt, apples, blackberries, strawberries, cucumber, salads... Normal Northern European food.

All this shows, and we have seen the same development in our Northern neighbours too. The genuine refugees have for many parts already arrived, and these late arrivals are often economic immigrants who have been lied to. No, Finland is not an Arabic state where you get hummus, women are veiled, you can immediately start to work on a construction site and get paid in cash every Thursday. Maybe these outbursts will help the authorities too to define if the refugees are genuine or just golddiggers.

However, a new legislation is being brought forth that refugees will be forced into work parties to pay for their upkeep. As harsh as it sounds, it's mostly to battle these problems I mentioned earlier, to activate these people. Like simple education and light work like cleaning up in parks or working in the kitchens.
Can I apply for a temporary refugee status ? Say two weeks

Old 12-15-2015, 03:51 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

Most refugee's want to go back...that is well known..but for some reason those facilitating their escape from bombings and family getting abducted and killed..THEY had no other choice....

However..if you believe some of the political rhetoric going on..THEY are all Terrorists at worst..and IF not that..Looking for a FREE RIDE!!! Pertinently ridiculous!! But Media drumbeats that notion by Politicians minute by minute!!

Somehow.. "SOME" folks that have always lived in whatever area in a free world..is unable to believe those seeking help and refuge really want that...

Instead..THEY ARE ALL TAKERS..and BTW have terrorists embedded!! Then of course same folks forget..there are American's who also identify with those radical ideations..have full access to guns plus freedom of speech additional fuel..who actually are the real THREAT....Hatred perpetuates an equal and often opposite response in equal measure in America due to access to "Weaponry Accesses"...

For some unknown reason many American's just cannot accept that fellow American's radicalized thru Social Media / plus MSM so it has to be them "Other's" who are the threat...Just maybe..showing more respect, allowing those Citizens to live their own lives ( like you want for yourselves)...instead work daily to try to marginalize/demonize and declare unwanted...and yes I mean even American Citizens....Sad but true!!

Not the easiest post to understand, but yes. And many Canadians have the same problem.

(BTW, what's with the overuse of ellipses?)

Old 12-15-2015, 03:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Looks like some are targeting the wrong people.

All of this mess, including ISIS/ISIL, would never have happened if Bush never foolishly invaded Iraq AND messed up reconstruction efforts post invasion.

Something the chicken hawk hypocrites will never acknowledge.

At least Saddam kept.things in check.

Mission accomplished my rear end.

Couldn't agree more. It took a while for this mess to unfold, but we all knew it was going to...didn't we?

Old 12-15-2015, 04:18 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
We all know the name of the road that is paved with good intentions; and few people are more filled with good intentions and detachment from reality than Scandinavian academics -- after all, they were the people who gave our divisive President a Nobel Peace Prize a few years ago.

Non compos mentis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events