Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 03:18 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times

Advertisements

My feeling is that if you are offended by saying the Pledge of Allegiance then you should leave this country and go somewhere else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 03:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I never heard that, but regardless of what the government says, Christmas is a religious holiday celebrated by Christians. Anyone's free to celebrate it just as I'm free to buy a Menorah and open one present a night for 8 nights, but it doesn't make me a Jewish person celebrating my religion. It makes me someone who wants to celebrate Hannukah - which is exactly why many people celebrate Christmas. Just because. But for Christians, it's the second most important holiday. The first is Easter, another holiday a lot of non-Christians celebrate.

Today, Christmas is celebrated December 25, and has been for hundreds if not thousands of years, and it is a religious holiday for Christians.
Unless you know the history of your religion. And they don't go too much into the history of the Roman Catholic Church after Christ died, do they ?
Because the Roman Catholic Church was completely corrupt and driven by greed and power.

That you have to find out all on your own.

Men altered dates for their own personal agendas.
Constantine changed the sabbath day from Saturday to the pagan sabbath day of Sunday.
Julius I created Jesus birth date of 12/25 to the pagan celebrations of winter solstice and pagan gods.

Prior to Juiius I changing the date, Easter Sunday was the major holy day for Christians.
Jesus' birth was never celebrated because no one knew exactly when he was born..it was estimated September or so based on the circumstances and locale written down.

http://www.history.com/topics/christ...y-of-christmas

Old 12-16-2015, 04:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Unless you know the history of your religion. And they don't go too much into the history of the Roman Catholic Church after Christ died, do they ?
Because the Roman Catholic Church was completely corrupt and driven by greed and power.

That you have to find out all on your own.

Men altered dates for their own personal agendas.
Constantine changed the sabbath day from Saturday to the pagan sabbath day of Sunday.
Julius I created Jesus birth date of 12/25 to the pagan celebrations of winter solstice and pagan gods.

Prior to Juiius I changing the date, Easter Sunday was the major holy day for Christians.
Jesus' birth was never celebrated because no one knew exactly when he was born..it was estimated September or so based on the circumstances and locale written down.

History of Christmas - Christmas - HISTORY.com
I never heard THIS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I was under the impression governments could not observe religious holidays without somehow declaring a secular reason.
Not sure how everything you just said has to do with the government observing holidays.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I never heard THIS:

Not sure how everything you just said has to do with the government observing holidays.
Did you think the Catholic schools would teach this ?
Are you waiting for the Catholic Church to tell you its corrupt history ?

Go read up. You are missing so much history about the Roman Catholic Church.

Constantine and changing the sabbath day.
"Donation of Constantine" forgery done by the Church.
Land grabbing by the church.
Buying and selling of Church influence by the wealthy.

The list goes on and on.

This is the stuff they don't teach you in Catholic school nor Sunday school.

Something to ponder....

How much do you know about the history of the Catholic Church post Jesus' death ?

Old 12-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I was under the impression governments could not observe religious holidays without somehow declaring a secular reason. I could be wrong.
You're right. Good Friday, for example, is just called a Spring Holiday day off.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:32 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Maybe, it didn't make the news, but there was/is a similar ban at many of the elementary and early childhood schools in District 2 Manhattan. No Thanksgiving, certainly no Christmas, no Columbus Day, no Halloween, no Veteran's Day, no holidays at all. Not sure about Groundhog's Day.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:41 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:

It's relevant because a government can't justify closing schools or offices by stating it wants to commemorate a special day for Christianity or to give Christians more time to go to church. They have to give a secular reason, like it doesn't pay to stay open because so many students don't show up.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It's relevant because a government can't justify closing schools or offices by stating it wants to commemorate a special day for Christianity or to give Christians more time to go to church. They have to give a secular reason, like it doesn't pay to stay open because so many students don't show up.
And Good Friday is one of those religious days that the school has to make up a name for.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did you think the Catholic schools would teach this ?
Are you waiting for the Catholic Church to tell you its corrupt history ?

Go read up. You are missing so much history about the Roman Catholic Church.

Constantine and changing the sabbath day.
"Donation of Constantine" forgery done by the Church.
Land grabbing by the church.
Buying and selling of Church influence by the wealthy.

The list goes on and on.

This is the stuff they don't teach you in Catholic school nor Sunday school.

Something to ponder....

How much do you know about the history of the Catholic Church post Jesus' death ?
Seriously what are you going on about?

Again, when I said "I have never heard that" I was referring to another poster's claim that he thought the government cannot observe a holiday unless it is considered a secular one. Christmas is not a secular holiday. The US has Judeo-Christian values and basis, which is probably why Christmas is "celebrated" in the sense that no government employees work on Christmas Day. When the US's history and values change to reflect some other religion and religious majority, perhaps other religious holidays will also be considered national holidays in which the government closes for the day.

Here, again, is the string of quotes:

2mares: I was under the impression governments could not observe religious holidays without somehow declaring a secular reason. Me: I never heard that.

I don't need you to lecture me on church corruption and history. That doesn't have to do with anything, especially not the topic of my thread.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It's relevant to a tangent about corruption and history of the church? History of the holiday itself and its "pagan" beginnings? I don't think so.

Relevant to the THREAD maybe, about the school district, but not all the other stuff HappyTexan said.

Do people read posts? Sometimes I think the comprehension lacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events