Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 07:45 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skennedy25 View Post
This is whats wrong with America today. Everybody trying to push their beliefs off on everybody else. If you don't like it, don't shop in those stores on christmas eve, but stop trying to tell other people they shouldn't be supporting these stores because it is against your views.

People need to also stop blaming these companies and these people for not having values becuase they need or want to shop on xmas eve. There is nothing out there that states that if you shop on a day before a holiday or on a holiday or work on them, that you don't have values
Right. I am what's wrong with America today. Having the audacity to have an opinion and wanting to preserve the one day (now) that stores are closed.

It must be a real struggle to keep away from Walmart for 1 or 2 days a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 07:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
I can't believe this thread is still alive considering the title of OP's thread is totally misleading. Christmas Eve is neither Christmas nor a holiday. Clickbait much?

Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The couple I've known, none of that is true.

And, isn't it true they work some workers more than 40 hours a week until a certain point, and then slash their hours to almost nothing to avoid some kind of monthly or quarterly overtime?

Maybe it depends on a particular store, I don't know. I don't know anyone who works over 40 hours a week, unless it's managers who have to work a little longer during inventory, etc.. It's true that my hours will be maybe be cut a little bit in January but I'm more than ready for a break by then anyway and it's not that much.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 AM

1,009 posts, read 708,471 times
[quote=SoCalCpl2;42334077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post

Well let's see..In the 70's I worked for 3 different companies and at all 3 I worked Thanksgiving AND Xmas... So YES they HAVE been doing this for years....

I also had friends that worked for groceries and retail stores and they worked on these days as well..
I worked retail in the 70s too never worked Thanksgiving and Christmas .

Old 12-20-2015, 09:02 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A lot of stores are open late on Christmas Eve, what's the problem?

Walmart is big in the grocery business. My local Kroger, Whole Foods, Central Markets all will also be open pretty late.
The local mall will probably be open till at least 9 or 10.

Don't see the issue.
The issue is that it's just one more reason for a Wal-Mart hate to rant.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:06 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The issue is that it's just one more reason for a Wal-Mart hate to rant.
What's funny is I'd never go near a Walmart around the holidays. You take your life in your own hands.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:07 AM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
What's funny is I'd never go near a Walmart around the holidays. You take your life in your own hands.

Or most other stores. Groceries are the worst.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:31 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Right. I am what's wrong with America today. Having the audacity to have an opinion and wanting to preserve the one day (now) that stores are closed.

your opinion/prediction is not a current event.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:48 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post

And it must be a struggle for you to celebrate Christmas the way you want to. Other people having the freedom to do as they wish somehow restricts your celebration. Hmmmmm.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:39 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
I suppose one could....same thing at Target, Kohl's, JCP, Macy's....etc., etc.

One of our malls is so crowded this time of year that it can take 1/2 hour to just be able to drive into the parking lot. . .then another 1/2 hour circling the wagon. Don't even want to think about the crowds and long lines. . . but it's the Christmas season and people want to shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events