Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 01:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Having to constantly check your phone for messages, texts, alerts, and social media is an addiction. I wish just one of these addicted people could travel back in time to the 1980s or earlier when people had to actually speak to each other and be social face to face just to see how they would cope.
What happened to him is not all that unusual other than he fell off a cliff. Others fall into pools, fountains, walk into walls, fall down stairs, get hit by cars....the list is endless.

Exactly. There was the woman who fell into the fountain in a mall, it was on You Tube and it was funny. She was annoyed that people laughed at her, too bad.

I'm amazed when I see people crossing the street without looking and they're staring down at a phone. The car is going to win, don't assume the driver sees you or cares.

I saw a guy yesterday on a skateboard going down a hill by a freeway ramp(in CA) while he was texting.

Pay attention. What I want to know is what is the need to constantly be "connected"? I like my quiet time, or going for a walk, looking at scenery. The phone can wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 01:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
I guess it's the logical sequel to that video a year or so ago of a woman in a mall who was so absorbed in her cell that she tripped and fell into a pool.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 PM

79 posts, read 53,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Have you ever been to a mall or college campus where young women walk together? Almost all of them are holding on to their phones even if they are not using them. Both sexes are equally guilty of being glued to their phones or stupidly texting into poles or a car, or off a cliff. Men seem to be able to keep them in their pocket from time to time.
Part of the reason you see them in women's hands is that fashion designers are loathe to put functional pockets in women's clothes. An iphone with a case is huge and really only fits in jean back pockets, but then it can be dropped or stolen. When we got our new phones I was really surprised at how bulky it was and I do carry it around a lot just because it doesn't fit in any of my clothes pockets securely.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Rose View Post
Part of the reason you see them in women's hands is that fashion designers are loathe to put functional pockets in women's clothes. An iphone with a case is huge and really only fits in jean back pockets, but then it can be dropped or stolen. When we got our new phones I was really surprised at how bulky it was and I do carry it around a lot just because it doesn't fit in any of my clothes pockets securely.
This is so true. And today tiny cross body bags are also really popular and trendy, so sometimes the phones won't fit in the bag, especially alongside everything else in the bag. It's often easier to just hold the phone, especially if you're in the middle of a text conversation or waiting for a phone call or email.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:45 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. There was the woman who fell into the fountain in a mall, it was on You Tube and it was funny. She was annoyed that people laughed at her, too bad.

I'm amazed when I see people crossing the street without looking and they're staring down at a phone. The car is going to win, don't assume the driver sees you or cares.

I saw a guy yesterday on a skateboard going down a hill by a freeway ramp(in CA) while he was texting.

Pay attention. What I want to know is what is the need to constantly be "connected"? I like my quiet time, or going for a walk, looking at scenery. The phone can wait.
I can go one better. I live next to a very busy railroad crossing about 40 yards from my front porch. There is occasional pedestrian traffic on my street, and summer before last I watched a young woman walk past my house towards the crossing completely engrossed her cell phone. I heard the air horns on a train coming out of the rail yard, and the crossing arm came down when she was maybe ten yards away from it. Maybe she had ear buds in, IDK, but despite the bells clanging & horns she actually walked right into the crossing arm.... only a few seconds before the train reached the crossing. Had it not been for the gate being there, she would walked right into that train.
She just stood there, still staring at her phone while the train went by, like nothing had happened. I wondered if she even had a clue as to how close she came to dying, and if she learned anything. Something tells me, probably not.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:55 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
We live up from a Park, and you would be shocked at the people who go there..on the fitness trails, walking or hiking with their face stuck in their cell phone. My husband saw a girl walk into a park bench doing this one day. (Think all of the beauty of the trees and nature that they are missing...not mention the safety of it all, when your attention is that immersed in something....we will have a generation of people so immersed into their phones, they don't actually really live life at all (apart from breathing,eating, texting)....sad stuff.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:03 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I guess it's the logical sequel to that video a year or so ago of a woman in a mall who was so absorbed in her cell that she tripped and fell into a pool.

I was just at that very mall and saw that fountain over Thanksgiving vacation, when I was visiting my mother (who lives near there). It wouldn't have been that easy to fall in...you'd have to be VERY obsessed with your cell phone It is the Berkshire Mall, in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania, by the way.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I can go one better. I live next to a very busy railroad crossing about 40 yards from my front porch. There is occasional pedestrian traffic on my street, and summer before last I watched a young woman walk past my house towards the crossing completely engrossed her cell phone. I heard the air horns on a train coming out of the rail yard, and the crossing arm came down when she was maybe ten yards away from it. Maybe she had ear buds in, IDK, but despite the bells clanging & horns she actually walked right into the crossing arm.... only a few seconds before the train reached the crossing. Had it not been for the gate being there, she would walked right into that train.
She just stood there, still staring at her phone while the train went by, like nothing had happened. I wondered if she even had a clue as to how close she came to dying, and if she learned anything. Something tells me, probably not.

That is very scary.

I live in Los Angeles, the day we had the terror threat and all the schools were closed city wide, a 17 year old boy was killed walking to school. He went to a private school not too far from where I live, his school decided to close as well, but he had left already.

He walked right in front of truck apparently while texting and wearing ear buds, very sad.

I just don't get it, we were taught "look both ways before you cross the street". Now these kids just can't walk down the street, they have to entranced in a phone so they're not looking where they're going, and ear buds is so they can't hear either.

Now parents have to bury a child and the man who hit him was reported as very distraught and has to live with this the rest of his life.

With all the craziness going on in the world today, it behooves everyone to pay attention of your surroundings.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:13 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is so true. And today tiny cross body bags are also really popular and trendy, so sometimes the phones won't fit in the bag, especially alongside everything else in the bag. It's often easier to just hold the phone, especially if you're in the middle of a text conversation or waiting for a phone call or email.

It's a pain in the butt when there are no pockets in my t-shirt or jogging shorts...while running, I stuffed it in my bra strap a few times only to have it fall out and have to go back and search for it, or have it fly onto the road (and once it smashed). I hate the stupid thing. I only take it with me as a safety precaution, because I'm fond of jogging very early in the morning and taking out-of-the way back roads.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
It's a pain in the butt when there are no pockets in my t-shirt or jogging shorts...while running, I stuffed it in my bra strap a few times only to have it fall out and have to go back and search for it, or have it fly onto the road (and once it smashed). I hate the stupid thing. I only take it with me as a safety precaution, because I'm fond of jogging very early in the morning and taking out-of-the way back roads.
I agree. I bring my phone with me to play music and track my workout while I walk/jog, but depending on where I am I turn the music off to be more aware of my surroundings. I like to have my phone on me, on, and easily accessible because as a female, you never know what can happen to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events