Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
"Springtime for Hitler" has already been done.
See post #14 (I think)

Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Sorry, if you can't wear Nazi insignia or fly the Nazi flag, you don't have freedom of speech.
'Nazi' is the other 'N' word in various places here in the US too..
think eBay.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're a despicable individual. And I'll gladly take the infraction for saying so.
I agree. Brave people speak truth to ignorance.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:39 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Germany has A LOT of freedom of speech. Actually publishing a book like that is only one more evidence of it. Germans believe in freedom to read and to think. They don't believe in freedom to be idiots though.
Modern Germany is a wonderful place, on many levels. I agree that it should be published and I agree with how the Germans are doing it.

I also agree about the idiots.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The only difference is that the Quran can actually be interesting. Mein Kampf is just BS. I haven't read 50 Shades of Grey, but I expect even that to be a real thriller compared to the little moustache man's ramblings.
I've read the Bible and the Quran. Neither was remotely comparable to Mein Kampf which I couldn't even bear to finish reading. Hell, I couldn't bear it after about the first chapter. Then I skimmed through it and every random place I opened up sounded as bad as the first few pages. VERY boring and stilted.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
I've actually done what some would consider extensive research on the subject and have made my own opinion. Regardless there will always be individuals who even after the tour of a camp like Dachau will still argue it happened just the way its still sold to the public. Opinions..everyone's got a few

While I never visited Dachau I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once
I've visited Dachau, Bergen Belsen, and also lived in Germany for several years. I believe that the Holocaust happened pretty much as we've been told and my opinion was bolstered by my experiences living in Germany. I love studying history and am a natural born skeptic, but I believe the Holocaust happened and I believe that Hitler and his upper echelon planned the extermination of the Jews and other "less perfect" groups of people - and were intently carrying out their plans pretty much till the end of the war.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Sorry, if you can't wear Nazi insignia or fly the Nazi flag, you don't have freedom of speech.
There are some restrictions on selling Nazi memorabilia in Germany. I once bought a really cool box of WW1 and WW2 letters from the front, along with lots of photos, from a little antique store deep in the heart of Bavaria, way off the beaten tourist trap. Many of the letters were in the original envelopes with the Nazi swastika and eagle stamp on them. The store proprietor was pretty nervous about selling those, even though I wasn't buying the envelopes - I was buying the letters from the front and the photographs. (Oh, and ration cards.) He kept saying, "The envelopes - those are free. I'm not selling those. Frei, frei."

Old 01-04-2016, 06:10 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
I'll wait for the musical.
Here it is:

https://youtu.be/kHmYIo7bcUw

Old 01-04-2016, 06:20 PM

Well, it's an historical book. So it can and should be studied. It probably is here in the U.S.

Not sure about the implications of it in Germany. That may be a different situation. But any Germans who wanted to read it could have, I guess, since it's available online. Unless that's against the law in Germany.

If the U.S. had had a dictator who had killed millions of Americans based on his dictum, as well as imprisoned millions of others, including professors and other educated people, and other evil things....I can see where the country might want to restrict dissemination of that dictator's signature book. OTOH, the U.S. probably wouldn't do that, because of freedom of speech and the general view by the majority that things like that are worth study. You can learn from the past.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I'm just wonder if Uncle Adolph would have been a good Rapper?
Apparently so.

https://youtu.be/4zpYQJkBQp0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events