Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times

Advertisements

My thing is this. Why is alcohol allowed to be served outside the home? Go to a restaurant enjoying yourself with a couple of drinks. Then that one last sip does it. It's kind of like entrapment. There's no one set limit that's up to the individual. My limit is two beers when out but with the lower limits I may have to change to one or milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 12:13 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Not the FEDERAL government, no. State roads and state highways are regulated by state law, the feds don't have the authority or legal pervue to do this.
The federal government can impose any regulation it wants to on any road that receives federal funding. Most state roads and state highways do receive federal funding. They're state roads and highways because they are officially owned and maintained by the state. Still, if there is a dime of federal money attached, states are at the mercy of the federal government.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:39 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
We tried Prohibition once before and created a nation of outlaws. Prohibition is generally though to have increased the usage of alcohol. People are going to drink whether you like it or not.

.08 is a very small alcohol percentage. The drunk killers generally are multitudes higher in alcohol concentration.

If we wanted a common sense approach to drunk diving, we would make beverages available that are very, very low in alcohol percentage. Of course, the alcoholics scream bloody murder at this suggestion.

On one hand, the alcoholics are screaming bloody murder at the suggestion of ultra low alcohol beverages.
On the other hand, teetotalers are screaming bloody murder at the suggestion of a little social drinking to soothe away the inhibitions and make people stupid and friendly.

Nobody is willing to compromise. Nothing gets done.

We already have the worlds highest incarceration rate by a very large amount. We already incarcerate at five times the global average. We already employ a government with hundreds of thousands that are hunting humans via spying, eavesdropping, baiting, lying, surveilling, cheating and many other means of hunting their prey....the American public. EvilTown helps with this endeavor by conjuring up ~300 new pages of laws every day. You do read the Register right? Otherwise you are at risk of getting caught in this weeks newly developed snare.

A change to .05 will mostly act to wreck tens of thousands of young lives and records while having almost no impact on driving safety.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Arizona already has an "impaired to the slightest degree" clause, in which you can technically be arrested for DUI with a BAC as low as .02. I don't know why lushes and alchies think they should be allowed any leeway at all after drinking. Many people are not nearly as skilled as they think they are behind the wheel. That only gets worse when alcohol is added into the mix. Lower the BAC limit to .01.
People like you are scary.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
We tried Prohibition once before and created a nation of outlaws. Prohibition is generally though to have increased the usage of alcohol. People are going to drink whether you like it or not.

.08 is a very small alcohol percentage. The drunk killers generally are multitudes higher in alcohol concentration.

If we wanted a common sense approach to drunk diving, we would make beverages available that are very, very low in alcohol percentage. Of course, the alcoholics scream bloody murder at this suggestion.

On one hand, the alcoholics are screaming bloody murder at the suggestion of ultra low alcohol beverages.
On the other hand, teetotalers are screaming bloody murder at the suggestion of a little social drinking to soothe away the inhibitions and make people stupid and friendly.

Nobody is willing to compromise. Nothing gets done.

We already have the worlds highest incarceration rate by a very large amount. We already incarcerate at five times the global average. We already employ a government with hundreds of thousands that are hunting humans via spying, eavesdropping, baiting, lying, surveilling, cheating and many other means of hunting their prey....the American public. EvilTown helps with this endeavor by conjuring up ~300 new pages of laws every day. You do read the Register right? Otherwise you are at risk of getting caught in this weeks newly developed snare.

A change to .05 will mostly act to wreck tens of thousands of young lives and records while having almost no impact on driving safety.
These holy rollers don't give one bit of care about the actual benefits, which are zero.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:50 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:

That's because it isn't about driving safety.

It's about revenue.

Huge tax cuts in recent years have left governments at all levels scrambling for income. This is just one more way to get it. Traffic fines for minor violations that used to be pocket change are now hundreds of dollars.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
But the Fed's can (and Do) blackmail the states into passing such laws.,

Don't pass a .05 BAC law, we cut off all Federal HiWay Trust Fund money to your state till you do..
It's like the 21 and over for drinking age. If you didn't comply, you didn't get the full amount of funds.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That's because it isn't about driving safety.

It's about revenue.

Huge tax cuts in recent years have left governments at all levels scrambling for income. This is just one more way to get it. Traffic fines for minor violations that used to be pocket change are now hundreds of dollars.
My wife did a rolling stop in our neighborhood that is still very new(meaning almost no traffic), and received a couple hundred dollar ticket. Truly shocking at the government overreach that so many are willing to bend over for.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:53 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Yep. DUI is a felony. Pretty much any employer these days does a LexisNexis background check. I own a breathalyzer. I live in a resort town with very frequent DUI roadblocks and I use the damned thing all the time since the risk of a roadblock is so high. I have a very good sense for where I stand at various blood-alcohol levels. I'm not particularly functional at 0.1 but I'm not impaired at all at 0.05. If I have a felony DUI conviction, forget about getting my next job. Canada won't let me in the country. I'm in the high risk insurance pool at enormous expense and can only get the absolute bare minimum insurance coverage. In my opinion, I'd be fine with a misdemeanor DUI for 0.05 to 0.08 but it would be nuts to make it a felony. I already think anything below 0.1 as a felony is bizarre. 0.08 is still quite functional.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
I am glad I don't drink much and don't have to worry about this issue much.

I always tell my friends that won't stop if you get the choice and are caught sleeping in car by cop....

take 100 cab/Uber ride over 5-10k in fines and no job prospects for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events