Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 01:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Guess you've never lived in a situation where your buffoon neighbor sets up a basketball net in the most obtrusive, public area possible then lets his kids and 10 of their little friends "play" out there unsupervised for hours on end. By "play" I mean screaming at the top of their lungs over and over and over and over for no reason, blocking traffic/refusing to move out of the street, breaking the odd mailbox here and there, leaving their crap all over the place when they finally go inside, etc etc. Who would complain?

Folks have a right to live in their homes without this kind of nonsense and you get to the end of your rope with it, like these neighbors obviously did. I wouldn't have called the cops though, rather not get into that. Meh.
There are several basketball hoops on the alley behind our house. Yes, kids play *gasp* unsupervised *gasp* for hours on end *gasp*. Sounds like the kids in your neighborhood are rowdy, loud and a little crazy. LIKE NORMAL KIDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 01:04 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post

Folks have a right to live in their homes without this kind of nonsense and you get to the end of your rope with it, like these neighbors obviously did. I wouldn't have called the cops though, rather not get into that. Meh.
Don't live in a town or city then. Move somewhere with more space between homes.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:12 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Shaq made a house call with the cop today back to the neighborhood! I suspect the 911 caller was too embarrassed to come outside.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:39 AM

388 posts, read 535,982 times
The cop ended up being true to his word and brought backup for a rematch:

Shaq Surprises Florida Cop for Pickup Game With Kids After Viral Hoops Video - NBC News

Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
Awesome example of community policing.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:58 AM

388 posts, read 535,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
The cop ended up being true to his word and brought backup for a rematch:

Shaq Surprises Florida Cop for Pickup Game With Kids After Viral Hoops Video - NBC News

Direct link to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbam3YYNQxk

Old 01-24-2016, 11:11 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
That is so fregin awesome!!! I love it!!!

Old 01-24-2016, 12:33 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Awesome example of community policing.
Amen! There is a Cumberland Farms by a middle school near me and they get flooded every afternoon and kids shoplift, waste cups etc... so now there are 2 cops there each day and it's actually made a positive difference. The cops are friendly they got to know the kids.

We need more of this kind of police presence/response. Start teaching kids at a young age that cops are good people.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:10 PM

402 posts, read 976,458 times
Can't get better than this! Great!

Old 01-24-2016, 03:59 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
There's an old episode of the show 'Cops', that had the exact same thing. The cop ended up telling the complaining neighbor that the kids weren't breaking the law, and he couldn't stop them from playing basketball. He shot a few hoops with the kids before he left. This sort of thing probably happens a lot, but we just don't hear about it.
I just caught that episode of "Cops" too with the old lady worried about rocks being kicked into her yard by these kids playing basketball.
By the way you want to know about noise? My backyard abuts the backyard of a nursery/daycare school and after a while it becomes background noise to me with so many kids screaming & laughing at the top of their lungs!
I just call it the sound of life.
Anyways kudos to that cop!
Talk about positive Community relations too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events