Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 05:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

I think trouble runs in the Bundy family:

Cliven Lance Bundy, 35, was ordered to serve between two and eight years in prison on felony burglary and firearms charges, which he pleaded guilty to in February 2013.Cliven Bundy's Son Sent To Prison On Burglary And Gun Charges - FreakOutNation FreakOutNation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Anderson, one of those still inside, has warrants out in Ohio.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Anderson, one of those still inside, has warrants out in Ohio.
It's a good thing i was sitting down when I read that. Absolutely shocking.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Seems the four holed up at the bird sanctuary have now been charged.

You gotta feel for these poor suckers.

First, their leaders tell them to stand their ground and they are noble patriots.

Now, they tell them to stand down and they are disloyal idiots.

Charges brought against four protesters still occupying Oregon wildlife refuge | Reuters

Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Personally, I don't think it's particularly helpful or useful to compare the 2 groups.

It's strange (& somewhat confusing) that federal Bureau of Land Management & Black Lives Matter share the same acronym.
There's an understatement.

One group is protesting the the regular - and often demonstrably unjust - extrajudicial killing of citizens by those sworn to protect the citizenry.

The other group is protesting the fact that their heavily-subsidized, way-below-market-value grazing fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's really naive to think that if federal land was ceded to the states that they would allow the likes of Bundy to graze on it for 1/10 the market value. Land management is an expensive business, it would require states hiring hundreds if not thousands of people and developing the infrastructure to manage the land. A more likely scenario is that States would sell the property to the highest bidders leaving ranchers at the mercy of corporations like the Koch's and General Mills and whatever oil companies are interested in expanding their fracking or oil drilling operations
Precisely.

The next time the state coffers started to run low, the usual privateers who love to sell off state assets for a one-time payday would do just that.

And then the Bundy bunch would sit around scratching their heads and wondering how they managed to screw up the sweetheart deal they'd been getting from the feds for so long.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 AM

New video just posted.

Remaining Oregon occupiers release videos mocking FBI - CBS News

Looks like the patriots/constitutionalists are hunkered down.

Looks like it will be a while before anyone's bailed out and going home to the families they been recently yearning for.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
The trucks filled the parking lot of a Mormon church where a viewing ceremony preceded the funeral for Robert "LaVoy" Finicum. One vehicle had a flyer with a picture of Finicum and the words, "Murdered by the FBI,"
Before LaVoy committed suicide by cop, he made his living cashing checks the government paid him to raise foster children. Of course, those checks are supposed to go to the costs of raising those children - but given the mentality of someone who thinks heavily-subsidized, below-market-value grazing fees are 'tyranny', it's no surprise.

Quote:
Finicum said a social worker removed the last of his foster children from the ranch beginning Jan. 4, with the last child transferred out of his home on Jan. 9.
Quote:
That was my main source of income,” Finicum said. “My ranch, well, the cows just cover the costs of the ranch. If this means rice and beans for the next few years, so be it. We’re going to stay the course.”
Militant LaVoy Finicum Says Foster Children Were Pulled From His Home . News | OPB

Children = income?

And don't tell me that the state of Arizona, of all places, did this just because of the occupation (though, to be honest, armed anti-government insurrection should be an immediate disqualifier for foster parent-hood, no?).

Quote:
while another was scrawled with one of the rancher's favorite sayings: "By dang, I'm mad."
I guess Ned Flanders is one of the occupiers.

Is Neil Wampler still holed up?

Quote:
Neil Sigurd Wampler drove to Oregon from his home on the California coast earlier this month to join those protesting the arson convictions of father and son ranchers outside Burns.

In August 1977, Wampler, who was 29, was convicted of second-degree murder in the killing of his father, Forey Edward Wampler, in Lake County, California, according to the district attorney's office there and police reports.
Quote:
"We are peaceful people, I certainly am," he says. "And the only circumstance, the last extremity, I think that any gunshots would be fired is if the federalists tried to root us out of here. They would find out then, that we are not playing. We're not gonna give an inch. And I say that very seriously."
Oregon standoff: One of protesters has murder conviction | OregonLive.com

See? Very peaceful. They wouldn't kill anyone. Except Dad. And anyone trying to arrest them for the crimes they're obviously committing.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:27 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Fry posted a video over the weekend of him driving a stolen truck with federal tags.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Fry posted a video over the weekend of him driving a stolen truck with federal tags.

Commit federal felony crimes on video, broadcast the evidence worldwide for all to see and then whine for weeks that you just want to go home and not be arrested. These guys are not exactly candidates for Mensa membership are they?

And to think that these guys were supposed to be the tip of the spear, the best and brightest the sovereign citizen/Oathkeeper movement had to offer. I have seen better tactics, preparation and courage from groups of toddlers playing make believe at the park. It just goes to show that overweight, unemployed losers living on government handouts are losers no matter whether they are camping for free on government property or in their mama's basement.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Commit federal felony crimes on video, broadcast the evidence worldwide for all to see and then whine for weeks that you just want to go home and not be arrested. These guys are not exactly candidates for Mensa membership are they?

And to think that these guys were supposed to be the tip of the spear, the best and brightest the sovereign citizen/Oathkeeper movement had to offer. I have seen better tactics, preparation and courage from groups of toddlers playing make believe at the park. It just goes to show that overweight, unemployed losers living on government handouts are losers no matter whether they are camping for free on government property or in their mama's basement.
Their original plan to go down in a blaze of glory fighting off the Feds did not pan out.

New plan seems to be building a "fortification" out of govt. vehicles and defend their ground. Wonder if that will turn out any better.

My guess is law will just wait them out.

Meanwhile Bundy and the the brain trust will sit in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events