Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ye of little faith:

Trump in the center. Look, medals and everything!

I think we just inadvertently struck on the perfect example of what separates substance from form.
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump#Early_life

The family had a two-story mock Tudor Revival home on Wareham Place in Jamaica Estates where Trump lived while attending The Kew-Forest School. At Kew-Forest, Fred Trump served as a member of the Board of Trustees. In 1983, Fred told an interviewer that Donald "was a pretty rough fellow when he was small", prompting him to enroll Donald in the New York Military Academy (NYMA). Trump finished eighth grade and high school at NYMA.[22] During his senior year, Trump participated in marching drills and wore a uniform, attaining the rank of captain.[23] In 2015, he told a biographer that NYMA gave him "more training militarily than a lot of the guys that go into the military".

Trump attended Fordham University in the Bronx for two years. He entered the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania, as Wharton then offered one of the few real estate studies departments in U.S. academia. While there, he worked at his father's company, Elizabeth Trump & Son.Trump graduated from Wharton in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics.

Trump was eligible for the draft lottery during the Vietnam War. "I actually got lucky because I had a very high draft number" he told WNYW in 2011. Selective Service records retrieved by The Smoking Gun website from the National Archives show that, although Trump did eventually receive a high selective service lottery number in 1969, he was not drafted earlier secondary to four student deferments (2-S) while attending college, as well as a medical deferment (1-Y, later converted to 4-F) obtained in 1968 after his college graduation, prior to the lottery being initiated. Trump was deemed fit for service after a military medical examination in 1966 and was briefly classified as 1-A by a local draft board shortly before his 1968 medical disqualification. Trump attributed his medical deferment to "heel spurs" in both feet, according to a 2015 biographer, but told an Iowa campaign audience he suffered from a spur in one foot, although he could not remember which one.

I'm not so sure a glorified marching band is quite the same thing as actual combat service.

As for Trump's deferments... Not so sure it separates substance from form, but it does give a great example of what separates cowardice from bravery. No wonder Trump hates real combat veterans so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:46 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Sikhs have a very long history in the British military. They have always been considered fierce fighters, and as a small minority, they battled both Muslims and Hindus often to hold their territory, both before and after the English empire's occupation of India.

It's no surprise on became the Minister of Defense. A military career is common among them.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:41 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Lot of black men in the military. So that makes them pariots and brave !!! Just like the Sikhs!!! Yay

Old 02-26-2016, 12:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He was bestowed with the Meritorious Service Medal in 2012[7] for diluting the Taliban’s influence in Kandahar Province.[5] He has also been awarded the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal.[5] He also received the Order of Military Merit award. He was recognized as "the best single Canadian intelligence asset" in the Kandahar theatre by Brigadier-General David Fraser.[5][8] He also served as an Aide-de-Camp to the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia.[9] His intelligence gathering skills were sought after. The Commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan’s southern provinces requested that Sajjan join the U.S. Command Team for a third deployment 2010, where he served as Special Assistant to then Major-General James L. Terry.[10] He consulted for US policy analyst Barnett Rubin.[11]

His religiously required facial hair prevents the use of regular military gas masks.[4] Sajjan invented his own gas mask that worked with his beard, and patented it in 1996.[12]

Based on the article, he seems well-qualified.

Not mentioned is that he was also a police officer for a time.

He is probably the most qualified of ANY Defense Minister/Secretary in the developed world, bar none.

He is also the only person who I can support in that flippin' Liberal government we Canadians made the mistake of electing. A strong, capable leader.

And for those of you who think terrorists wear turbans, you just have no idea clue.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:10 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I'm not so sure a glorified marching band is quite the same thing as actual combat service.
Marching bands are expected to keep in step, something those 3 clowns are incapable of. The uniforms are so bad they're awesome, though. Right out an overproduced Gilbert & Sullivan performance. Those shakos...

Old 02-26-2016, 01:38 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Sikhs make up 2% of the population in India but constitute a much larger proportion than 2% in the Indian military because they are, culturally and sometimes physically, better suited for the job.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:16 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Looks qualified to me.
Considering the long and meritorious role that Sikhs have played in Commonwealth armies I'm not surprised in the least bit.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Actually, in Canada it's the Defence, not Defense, Minister!

Hawaii's Congressional delegation - a Hindu, a Buddhist, a Jew and a Christian. Now there's some religious diversity!

There don't appear to be any Sikhs in Congress.

A Look At The Religious Make-Up Of The 114th Congress

Not too surprising, I guess, especially considering that they represent just a small fraction of 1% the population (less than half a million nationwide).

But there was one elected way back in the 1950s!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalip_Singh_Saund

I see the population in Canada is about half a million, or 2% of the population. Interesting - I didn't know there were so disproportionately more numerous north of the border.
Canada has a very large Asian and Indian population, especially on the west coast so a few more Sikhs makes sense.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:13 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sikhs have a very long history in the British military. They have always been considered fierce fighters, and as a small minority, they battled both Muslims and Hindus often to hold their territory, both before and after the English empire's occupation of India.

It's no surprise on became the Minister of Defense. A military career is common among them.
Battle against Hindus? Are you sure?

Sikhism was created to fight against the atrocities of Islamic invaders and Mughals in India.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:35 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
That is a good list of achievements of Indian Americans, many of them Sikhs.
Interesting. None of the Sikhs that I know personally grew up in India, nor do they align themselves with India.

In fact, a Sikh woman I know very well came to work positively ecstatic the day after Indira Gandhi was assassinated by two of her Sikh bodyguards. With evil glee in her eyes my co-worker said "she got what was coming to her!".

Another woman in our office was Hindhi and was sobbing with sorrow.

Following the assassination, there were anti-Sikh riots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events