Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:52 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Interesting. None of the Sikhs that I know personally grew up in India, nor do they align themselves with India.

In fact, a Sikh woman I know very well came to work positively ecstatic the day after Indira Gandhi was assassinated by two of her Sikh bodyguards. With evil glee in her eyes my co-worker said "she got what was coming to her!".

Another woman in our office was Hindhi and was sobbing with sorrow.

Following the assassination, there were anti-Sikh riots.
Learn some history.
That assassination happened as a retaliation.
But the politics were Indian through and through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 05:58 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,989,280 times
Nothing against these people. Last time I checked, they don't have terrorist organizations and believe in barbaric laws.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Nothing against these people. Last time I checked, they don't have terrorist organizations and believe in barbaric laws.
You may want to check into the Air India bombing in Canada in 1985. The fact that Sikhs also have terrorists organizations has no bearing on the Minister's appointment or his being a good appointment. The are or have been in the very recent history terrorists groups that are Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Hindu etc. The fact that you might only be aware of terrorism from one religion doesn't negate what or her religious groups or groups that are totally not associated with a religion does or have done nor should an entire population be held responsible for what a small percentage does.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,837,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You may want to check into the Air India bombing in Canada in 1985. The fact that Sikhs also have terrorists organizations has no bearing on the Minister's appointment or his being a good appointment. The are or have been in the very recent history terrorists groups that are Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Hindu etc. The fact that you might only be aware of terrorism from one religion doesn't negate what or her religious groups or groups that are totally not associated with a religion does or have done nor should an entire population be held responsible for what a small percentage does.
Indeed.

Individuals should be judged by their individual behavior, not by the behavior of those who happen to be of the same religion.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,700,025 times
Not every Sikh wear a Turban or sport a beard.
Congressman Dalip Singh Saund seen in Center in the Pic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalip_Singh_Saund

Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,340,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Last time I checked, they don't have terrorist organizations and believe in barbaric laws.
It would be easier to count the number of ethnic groups or nationalities that haven't resorted to terrorism than list all that have.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,766,557 times
Very true wise wino. Very true

Old 02-26-2016, 10:49 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,475,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Learn some history.
That assassination happened as a retaliation.
But the politics were Indian through and through.
Look, I simply reported to you what I observed and heard exactly as they transpired in my office immediately following the assassination of Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984. It has nothing to do with my knowledge or lack thereof of Hindu or Sikh history. I had no specific knowledge of Indian history, though I was very friendly with the Sikh woman and her husband and had actually gone out for a lovely day with them and a nice Indian couple who were their friends before this incident. Until the day of the bloodthirsty gleeful evilness seen in the eye of my Sikh colleague, I had not been focused at all on Indian sectarian history, then-current or otherwise. (I have other parts of the world about which I have a lot of knowledge, but the Indian subcontinent is not my focus).

From what I have read, including reports by Sikhs, the massive retaliations (against Sikhs) came about after the assassination of Indira Gandhi by two Sikh bodyguards of hers.

What bothered me so much was to see and hear the bloodthirsty glee coming from a Sikh woman who had previously not shown what was obviously her true and spiteful nature. (And this occurred before the subsequent massive Sikh massacres.)

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 02-26-2016 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 11:14 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,614,919 times
If the terrorists are hinding then I suppose this is appropriate.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:21 AM

7,580 posts, read 5,340,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
What bothered me so much was to see and hear the bloodthirsty glee coming from a Sikh woman who had previously not shown what was obviously her true and spiteful nature. (And this occurred before the subsequent massive Sikh massacres.)
But After 10,000 Indian soldiers and members of the British Special Air Service violently removed a Sikh militant group from the Harmandir Sahib or as it is known the "Golden Temple" in Amritsar in the state of Punjab. The Temple is the holiest site for Sikhs and depending on whose numbers you like over 400 Sikh dead and wounded. The attack resulted in massive Sikh resignations from the Army and civilian government ministries and sparked assaults agains Sikhs across the country before the assassination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Blue_Star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events