Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It was their wedding, not their son or daughter's. Seems they've been living together for eight years and have at least one child together. I am at a loss to explain how they can adopt 4 children without being married.

From the photos, it looks like quite a few family and friends joined in the celebration of their nuptials. He was not using a wheelchair.

Hotel throws wedding for cancer-stricken groom

The bucket list of a dying man is a touching tale. Whether it is true or not, remains to be seen.

What does appear true is that they they have found strategies for others to pay for trips and so forth which makes the son's sudden allergic reaction to dogs seem suspicious.

Yes, I saw that. Twelve children without being married? Around here, that's how you scam the system. Can't get married if you want those free benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:33 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Clearly I'm not as cynical as some of you are. And thank God for that. I would hate to go through life assuming the worst in people the way some of you appear to do. There is no evidence, none, that supports the theory that this was all a scam to get a free trip or 15 minutes of fame. I think that's just terrible to write these things about these people without knowing. Now I don't pretend to know the truth but from what we know I think these accusations are totally unfair.

What's next? Going to call the Make A Wish kids scam artists too?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It was their wedding, not their son or daughter's. Seems they've been living together for eight years and have at least one child together. I am at a loss to explain how they can adopt 4 children without being married.

From the photos, it looks like quite a few family and friends joined in the celebration of their nuptials. He was not using a wheelchair.

Hotel throws wedding for cancer-stricken groom

The bucket list of a dying man is a touching tale. Whether it is true or not, remains to be seen.

What does appear true is that they they have found strategies for others to pay for trips and so forth which makes the son's sudden allergic reaction to dogs seem suspicious.
According to the story, they have 8 kids together. I can't figure out how they could adopt 4 kids while not being married, either. Of course, maybe they aren't actually adopted, but are long-term foster children.

I would also think that the family would be more worried about current and future medical bills, likely funeral expenses, and future living expenses than about some "bucket list" of traveling around the US. When a person faces a diagnosis of a terminal condition, they tend to try to get their affairs in order, especially when they have a family.

At first I thought that they had gone to Washington, DC, but no, just Bellingham, Washington. What, exactly, puts Bellingham on anybody's "bucket list" unless he or she was born there and wants to go back there to see it one last time? Moreover, why take just one of their kids?

This story, especially with the kid's sudden allergic episode when the family claims not to have known he was allergic at all, raises all kinds of red flags, especially as other details come to light. This reminds me of that family in Kentucky last year that claimed that they were being persecuted for living off-grid when, in fact, they temporarily lost custody of their numerous children because they were living in a shed with canvas walls without safe water and toilet facilities ... among other issues. When the real story comes out, it's not anything like the original.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
So there ya have it... trapped in a metal tube in the sky with yapping fur babies is now "normal"...
I give up.
You seem to be wanting to make dogs on a plane a bigger issue than it actually is. I've been on plenty of planes with dogs, and not once have any of them made noises. If I didn't see their crates, I wouldn't have even known there was a dog on the flight.

When I flew with my dog, she didn't make a sound the entire flight. The guy sitting next to me was surprised when I pulled her crate out from under the seat in front of me when we landed as he didn't realize there was a dog just a few inches from his feet.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:58 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You seem to be wanting to make dogs on a plane a bigger issue than it actually is. I've been on plenty of planes with dogs, and not once have any of them made noises. If I didn't see their crates, I wouldn't have even known there was a dog on the flight.

When I flew with my dog, she didn't make a sound the entire flight. The guy sitting next to me was surprised when I pulled her crate out from under the seat in front of me when we landed as he didn't realize there was a dog just a few inches from his feet.
In the grand scheme of things, this whole doggy thing classifies as a first world problem. Not up there with ISIS, starving children etc. certainly. Nevertheless, there are certain obnoxious cultural trends that point to societal narcissism... you know, like dogs everywhere to the point of literallly thinking they're children, heads buried in phones, posting one's every move on Facebook... oh, and of course spending too much time posting on anonymous message boards... ... just to name a few.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:04 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post

I would also think that the family would be more worried about current and future medical bills, likely funeral expenses, and future living expenses than about some "bucket list" of traveling around the US. When a person faces a diagnosis of a terminal condition, they tend to try to get their affairs in order, especially when they have a family.

When the real story comes out, it's not anything like the original.
My thoughts exactly.

I can understand getting married, as there may be custody issues with minor children. And if the hotel offered to foot the bill, why not?

But why a trip to Bellingham with only one child?

And what's with the GoFundMe accounts for things like her prayer trip to Washington DC last summer?

More here than meets the eye.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I've seen a few threads on other forums where people have found the parents on Facebook. Guess who has 2 dogs at home according to their Facebook...

Old 02-29-2016, 03:20 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've seen a few threads on other forums where people have found the parents on Facebook. Guess who has 2 dogs at home according to their Facebook...
Tell me it isn't so.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:50 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am the owner of a service dog. I once was asked, "but what about the people with allergies to a dog? Do they have to leave the store because you come in?" I had no answer for that woman. And I do still think about it. It's a dilemma. On the one hand is a person whose life/safety depends on the dog's presence and on the other hand is a person whose health is negatively impacted by that presence.

I have no solution. I need my dog. I also care about others and do not wish those with allergies to suffer as I have and still do when hit with a trigger.
You shouldn't. Your disability isn't your fault - why should THEIR disability be your fault either? At least all they have to do is walk away. You can't walk away from your situation.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:50 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, to be fair, this was a service dog according to the article.

Obviously, it was best for the boy to leave the plane, but why should passengers clap when he left - apparently the airline thinks that they could have just been clapping because they were glad the plane would finally get off the ground, not because of the boy's distress.

We cannot really know since we were not there.
I don't understand why Allegiant Air couldn't have seated the family on a revenue flight on another airline. They shouldn't have had to wait for two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events