Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:27 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,150,511 times

Advertisements

Some Police in KY are racist and profile. They harass people. Brutalize people. And kill people.

I don't think we should censor artistic expression especially that which is accurate.

Not all Police are racist and there may not be a direct connection between the Police and KKK, but our criminal justice system has failed certain populations and many Americans are tired of being oppressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,747,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Some Police in KY are racist and profile. They harass people. Brutalize people. And kill people.

I don't think we should censor artistic expression especially that which is accurate.

Not all Police are racist and there may not be a direct connection between the Police and KKK, but our criminal justice system has failed certain populations and many Americans are tired of being oppressed.
Another failed point on free expression. Kids are routinely suspended for wearing a shirt with a gun on it or drawing a picture of a gun. It's zero tolerance.

So, either zero tolerance needs to be equally applied across all spectrums or completely removed from policy.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:41 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,572,291 times
Can all cops please stop arresting black people. Do not go into black areas and if you ever see a black person please apologize even if you did nothing wrong. This will not be enough but it is a start.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:42 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,265,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

By the way, I wonder if the cop would have expressed the same level of outrage if it portrayed a U.S. citizen having a knife at their throat by some Islamic type.
Schools today would not allow a picture of an Islamic terrorist with a knife to the throat of someone. But they do want to keep the BLM movement happy.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I live right down the street from the school in question. This is barely hitting the local news.

However, the OP post should distinguish WHAT the message is of the picture that is still hanging, at least as of yesterday.
That cops will shoot Black people.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times
Let's see. This was in a North Carolina High School.

Here is what black males have to deal with - here is a young man who had a car accident, went looking for help and was shot by a police officer. The woman who called 911 assumed he was a burgler (probably because he was black) and the officer who shot him had turned off his dash cam to keep people from seeing what really happened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/us...-shooting.html

Quote:
Mr. Ferrell was driving his fiancée’s car home when he ran off the road. The airbag deployed and he lost his cellphone. He walked barefoot to a nearby home and knocked on the door. But the homeowner, Sarah McCartney, who is white, feared he was a robber, set off her burglar alarm and called 911.

On encountering Mr. Ferrell, one of the three police officers who responded to the scene immediately aimed his Taser, a dashboard camera video showed. Mr. Ferrell began to run as the Taser fired.

Officer Kerrick, who turned off his own dashboard camera upon arriving at the scene, cannot be seen in the video. He testified that he had had no choice and had shot in self-defense, believing that Mr. Ferrell wanted to take his gun.

The defense characterized Mr. Ferrell, who had no criminal record, as a would-be burglar who had tried to break down Ms. McCartney’s door and was looking for another house to rob when the police arrived. Mr. Ferrell’s family members were furious over that portrayal and are frustrated with prosecutors who, they said, did not do an adequate job.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 AM

51,006 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Schools don't seem to have a problem censoring student expression when using pop tarts or your fingers to make a gun.
1. The pop tart situation -- as I remember it way back when (I find it odd that you are obsessing about that after a year and a half) -- was a poor decision by a school.

2. Can you really not see the difference between artistic expression and a boy saying, "Look, I made a gun"? If not, you need to start going to a few art galleries. I know they have some very fine art galleries in Texas.

3. There are nearly 99,000 public schools in the United States. Don't expect over a quarter million school officials to all react the same to every incident.

4. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that I remember posts by you hating political correctness, but now when you see art that is politically incorrect you're upset. You can't have it both ways.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
What does this have to do with BLM? I believe the picture was painted by a students / from his perspective.
Very much agree. I think Todd ought to go take a look at this part weeks' episode of "Blackish". Not so much of a funny episode -- it looked at the general topic of how different Black people, including children, might look at the issue.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
His main point is kids get suspended for wearing a shirt with a gun on it and/or making a 'gun/shooting' simulation with a hand... zero tolerance. This is clearly not zero tolerance.

But, I can see that, once again, another issue won't be looked 'equally applied' to all situations and will be argued from an emotional, and extremely political, viewpoint.

If one wants consistency, enforce the regulation when it is FOR OR AGAINST a persons politics. If not, then open oneself up to the obvious call to .... I'll let others make that contention.
Very few situations in live are actually "equal".

Old 02-27-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Anyone else notice the police officer appears to be black and wearing a white mask and gloves rather than just white like the article asserts?
I think it is going much deeper than just a commentary on police and instead is a commentary specifically on black police officers.
No, the officer is clearly white with a white face and white hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events