Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 04:41 PM

743 posts, read 768,616 times

Advertisements

Great idea! I love Chick-fil-A's food and customer service. That they're Christian is just a bonus. First class operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 08:48 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,245,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Chick-fil-A operator in Georgia wants to stop families from being distracted by their phones while sharing a meal together. So he came up with the "Cell Phone Coop," a box in which family members place their (silenced) phones while they're eating in a Chick-fil-A restaurant, and he came up with a pretty good incentive to convince them to do so: free ice cream.

Chick-fil-A Giving Away Food If You Can Detach From Your Phone
Giving away food? Where will they get it?

Old 03-04-2016, 08:54 PM

273 posts, read 140,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Cell phone jammer. Simple.

Mine drops all calls in the 30 feet around me. It's just like eating in the olden days, you know, the 80's.

Only it blocks MY phone too. sigh.
I bring mine with me all the time....there is always at least one loud mouth, chatting away, obliviousthat they are disturbing others....so funny watching them looking at their phone, then finally leaving to go outside to try and get a signal....problem solved

Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,991,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Is it that they close on Sunday for religious reasons or that they took a stand on other religious issues important to them?
Clearly their give-away had no religious reasons stated, or did you see one everyone else missed?

I think it's an interesting marketing plan that might just get some families to realize how little they actually speak to each other.
If that's the outcome, good on 'em!
Actually I love that they are closed on Sundays but this is not the place to discuss that.

I believe it's self-righteous. Sure some people use their phones excessively but plenty of people don't. Again if people are glued to their phones to the point they are not interacting with their company, I think they have bigger issues than a fast food chain playing psychologist can fix.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 PM

19,873 posts, read 12,164,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
BS. Plenty of people are making it their business. CFA is making it their business. Literally. Sure, it's an option, but it's literally calling out anyone who chooses to be on their phone in their restaurant.
No, it's really not. No one is calling out people on their phone usage. Have you experienced it on one of your visits to CFA?

Old 03-04-2016, 09:34 PM

19,873 posts, read 12,164,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Hahaha did someone really say "phone shaming"? Now I think I can say I've heard/seen that word used with everything - fat,skinny,short,age and now phone. You can't make this stuff up.
People are perpetual victims.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:39 PM

22,918 posts, read 6,457,565 times
I have a basic Tracfone that I rarely use. Even with a free ice cream offer I don't
care for their pickle chicken sandwiches...if others like it, fine.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:58 PM

483 posts, read 693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I can't believe all the people are bashing this idea. Oh wait, I can. I'm betting the people bashing it are the same ones who have their eyes glued to their phones the entire time they are supposedly eating out with their "family." There have been countless times I've seen a group of friends go out, a dating couple, or family eat out together, and you wouldn't even know they're together except for the fact that they're sitting at the same table. They're so addicted to those stupid phones they can't take their eyes off them. The saddest situations I've seen are the times many moms are out with their toddlers. The toddlers want their mom's attention, and reach for her or talk to her, and she's so busy looking at her phone she ignores him/her the majority of the time they're at the restaurant. As for the challenge, my wife and I don't need it, because we detach from our phones when we're out together already. We don't need a dangling carrot offered by a restaurant, because we already have the most precious incentive in the world: keeping our marriage strong and happy by focusing our attention on each other.
Amen, brother. I've seen 'em both, those sad toddlers and the alleged friends. Once grabbed a quick pre-theater meal at a Times Square Applebee's and three teen girl "friends", probably tourists, sat next to me and I swear did not speak for minimum 5 minutes. Might have been longer. Plunked themselves right down and went straight for the two-thumb salute, heads bowed individually and diligently over the shiny, shiny screen. I swear I was starting to think they had had a huge fight, until 12 (? maybe exaggeration, but if so, slight) minutes later, they had tap-a-tapped every single thing they wanted to communicate about to all their friends and family members, and could finally unzip their lips. Quite sad choice, a window view of Times Square and two live alleged friends, whose company you allegedly, one assumes, enjoy.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:46 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,252,197 times
Quote:

Mine drops all calls in the 30 feet around me. It's just like eating in the olden days, you know, the 80's.

But the idea is to encourage self control and the conscious decision to put the phone away rather than forcing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Frankly, I'm tired of the phone shaming. I'm an adult and pay my own phone bill. I'll decide when I will and won't use it, and it's no one else's business whether or not it's appropriate (as long as it's not causing anyone else physical harm, or has the potential to).
You're welcome to not partake in their promotion and continue on using your phone, no one is stopping you. However, you better believe it's my business when you're so busy on your dumbphone that you walk into me on the sidewalk (which happens nearly once a day where I live). People need a reality check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
The best is the idiot talking on the phone while the waiter or waitress is trying to take their order. It must make someone feel very important to act like such a doosh.
If a customer were to talk on their phone when I came to take their order, I'd walk away and not come back for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Oh for frig sake... if you want to stick your nose in your phone, go for it. If you want free ice cream, put it away. It's not that darn difficult. And if you don't like Chick-Fil-A for whatever reason, don't go there.

Simple. I swear, people have to get offended over everything.
Best response in this thread.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 PM

15,556 posts, read 10,551,246 times
Quote:

Fantastic. Next time a certain friend eats out with me, I do hope you are sitting next to us. He seriously drives me nuts with his phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events