Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 06:55 AM

238 posts, read 228,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
True. They're a top 10 restaurant in revenue and employee satisfaction, and the #1 chicken restaurant, even though they're only open 6 days a week. And they're #1 in customer satisfaction. Not like they're really starving for business.

At this point, a gimmick for them would be to open on Sunday, not offer free ice cream. It's optional, nobody is being forced to participate, and nothing is being forced on anyone. Even the whole gay marriage controversy wasn't being forced. Everyone was welcome to come and eat. "Oh wait, is that you're lesbian lover in the passenger seat? Sorry, ma'am, but I'ma need your food back. Ketchup packets too..." Don't ever recall that happening.

Not really sure what the big deal is here.
I didn't read the whole thread yet, but if I am repeating, please forgive me.

The big deal isn't about their religious beliefs. Nobody cares that they are (pseudo) Christians. No one is upset that they aren't open on Sundays. What is a problem for some of us, including Christians who try to live as Jesus taught, is that we don't believe in supporting hate.

From Huff Post:

Read the "5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A."

1. Chick-fil-A profits fund documented hate groups that aggressively work against LGBT people, advocating for their criminalization, psychological abuse, or death.
  2. Chick-fil-A profits support the radical-right-wing group Eagle Forum, which supports LGBT people being considered criminals.
  3. Chick-fil-A profits support Exodus International, which claims to "cure homosexuality" through psychological coercion of LGBT people. It says LGBT people are "perverse."
  4. Chick-fil-A profits support Focus on the Family (FOF) and its off-shoot group, the Family Research Council (FRC), which has been designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. FOF aggressively defames LGBT people as a threat to children, and FRC spent $25,000 to stop the U.S. Congress from condemning Uganda's anti-homosexuality bill, which calls for the execution of gay people in some cases.
  5. Chick-fil-A profits come from you. When you choose Chick-fil-A, you help fund hate groups.
As for the promotion, it doesn't affect me at all, nor would it if it were any other restaurant. It seems like some people could use a reminder that there are people right in front of them that they can actually talk to and relate with rather than looking at a few inches of screen, and if a free ice cream will make them spend a few minutes interacting with each other, especially if they have young children, then good for them. I don't hate them, or their idea, just won't support hatred in any form.

Last edited by dddiva; 03-07-2016 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 06:57 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,712,723 times
Well, we were willing to put up our phones for the free ice cream cone... but, it turns out that our local store, which, by the way, is one that doesn't give ANY discounts to seniors, either, isn't participating in the idea. This, plus the more I learn about their corporate character, makes me realize I should never to there again, anyways!

Phone shaming isn't a bad idea. How many times have you had to actually push someone who is so focused on their phone that they can be bothered to excuse themselves and get out of the way of foot traffic. Or, slow down to a crawl on the interstate because they are talking while driving? Or, have to listen to their loud walkie-talkie conversations? Or almost get hit because they didn't see the red light they ran while on the phone? Or had to yell out the window "Hey idiot, put away the phone and pay attention!"?

Last edited by kat in aiken; 03-07-2016 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: add text

Old 03-07-2016, 07:35 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,990,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
I was literally sitting next to them, I'd have had to have been blind not to catch their behavior. Nice try though.
Nonsense. They were quietly looking at their phones, not distracting you from whatever conversation you were having in your own table. One thing is to glance at another table and see people using their phones, another thing is to know exactly how long they were glued to their phones, how often they spoke and even have time to play armchair psychologist and feel morally superior because you were not using your phone and were supposedly paying attention to your company.

You really need to mind your own business. Those are people you will never see again and you don't know anything about them and the reasons why they use their phones. Maybe one of them really needed to use the phone. You don't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Amen, brother. I've seen 'em both, those sad toddlers and the alleged friends. Once grabbed a quick pre-theater meal at a Times Square Applebee's and three teen girl "friends", probably tourists, sat next to me and I swear did not speak for minimum 5 minutes. Might have been longer. Plunked themselves right down and went straight for the two-thumb salute, heads bowed individually and diligently over the shiny, shiny screen. I swear I was starting to think they had had a huge fight, until 12 (? maybe exaggeration, but if so, slight) minutes later, they had tap-a-tapped every single thing they wanted to communicate about to all their friends and family members, and could finally unzip their lips. Quite sad choice, a window view of Times Square and two live alleged friends, whose company you allegedly, one assumes, enjoy.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You and your family do not have to go there. Some families love this idea, how can the kids argue about something everyone else is doing?

Some people find family talk much more important at meal time than clicking phones and no conversation.

Would you object to families who choose to have Bible study with fries?
I don't care what people do as long as it doesn't affect me. I don't go around checking what strangers do so I can feel morally superior.

However I don't think businesses should be telling their patrons what they consider is good behavior and what they think it's not when it is totally unrelated to the products and services they sell. They're in the business of selling greasy food, not life coaches.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 03-07-2016 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,984,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Dumb idea.

What's next they will give away freedom fries for bringing a Bible and reading it with your family.

Why don't they just limit themselves to sell food? Who do they think they are to tell their customers what they should be doing or not while they eat their greasy food?
Yeah, spending time together with family w/o having your faces glued to your iPhone is such a horrible idea.

Im glad to see people spending time together at the dinner table! And when youre on your death bed, youre gonna regret not spending time with loved ones, as theyre ALL you have in life.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,846,266 times
Quote:
Nonsense. They were quietly looking at their phones, not distracting you from whatever conversation you were having in your own table. One thing is to glance at another table and see people using their phones, another thing is to know exactly how long they were glued to their phones, how often they spoke and even have time to play armchair psychologist and feel morally superior because you were not using your phone and were supposedly paying attention to your company.

You really need to mind your own business. Those are people you will never see again and you don't know anything about them and the reasons why they use their phones. Maybe one of them really needed to use the phone. You don't know that.
Yes. This.

I lack the overwhelming self-absorption to necessary to demand that someone in another booth not look at an electronic device while I'm eating.

If that person is a teenager and it's an iPhone they're looking at? Some people have a silent internal tantrum. Yet if that person is a businessman in a suit reading the financial section, those same people won't care one iota. See, the issue isn't that people are paying attention to something else - it's that people are paying attention to something that doesn't meet the busybody's approval.

Oh, and here's a newsflash for the "I just want a quiet meal in a quiet atmosphere!" crowd - if that's the case, then you made a wrong turn when you entered a fast-food place.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
This has you really upset, yes? Chick-fil-A and their great food isn't telling you to do anything ... If you don't like them, don't go there. It's really simple.
No I'm not really upset, I'm just giving my opinion. It's really that simple too.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:06 AM

16,432 posts, read 12,571,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Phone shaming isn't a bad idea. How many times have you had to actually push someone who is so focused on their phone that they can be bothered to excuse themselves and get out of the way of foot traffic. Or, slow down to a crawl on the interstate because they are talking while driving? Or, have to listen to their loud walkie-talkie conversations? Or almost get hit because they didn't see the red light they ran while on the phone? Or had to yell out the window "Hey idiot, put away the phone and pay attention!"?
Phone shaming is a bad idea when it involves shaming people who aren't bothering anyone. Like families eating at a table, minding their own business. Who cares if they're on their phones?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:06 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,572,291 times
Quote:
I don't care what people do as long as it doesn't affect me. I don't go around checking what strangers do so I feel morally superior.

However I don't think businesses should be telling their patrons what they consider is good behavior and what they think it's not when it is totally unrelated to the products and services they sell. They're in the business of selling greasy food, not life coaches.
They are not telling you to do anything. It is optional. No need to get offended. It is OPTIONAL!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Cell phones have been around for years and years but it's only been within the last 5 -10 years that people have become absolutely addicted to them. This youngest generation coming up probably doesn't ever remember it being any other way and that is a shame. All this being connected to other people is great, until it comes at the expense of being able to connect with the people you are actually with, and that's what this campaign is all about. It's not some nefarious plot to control you, which is what it sounds like some of you are afraid of.
Phone 'shaming' is nothing more than the backlash of people tired of being ignored or treated rudely by people who cannot seem to go without their phones for longer than ten minutes without breaking into a panic.
That's nonsense. People on their phones don't go around treating others rudely. If I'm in line and the person in front of me is distracted because they are on the phone, reading a book, daydreaming or talking to another person(the most common reason by the way) I politely interject and tell them to please move ahead. These apocalyptic scenarios you people describe are not that common.

People should mind their own business and stop playing armchair psychologist with strangers. What a waste of time. If the problem is your own friends and family then tell them up front you agreed to go out with them, not with their cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events