Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Time to bring back the paddle. When I was in grade school, the teacher had a wooden paddle sitting on the chalkboard tray with holes drilled in it. It had the words "Cracklin Rosie" painted in red on it. That was back in 1978.

If a teacher ever paddled my children, they would be spending some time in intensive care if they survived. Beating a child with a paddle is never acceptable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
If a teacher ever paddled my children, they would be spending some time in intensive care if they survived. Beating a child with a paddle is never acceptable to me.
Well paddling used to be a means for punishment. They don't do it anymore so settle down. Your snowflake is safe.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Out of control kids in school. This story shows that the apple doesn't fall far, does it ?

Old 03-14-2016, 01:56 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I wish I could say you aren't a racist, but I can't.
I wish I could say that blacks didn't represent 60% of the population of prisons or that blacks didn't commit a majority of violent crimes while only being 13% of the US population but I can't.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:14 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I hear so many stories from friends and family about how bad kids are today. I figure we should go back to the days when school was not mandatory. Just kick them out and let the parent take care of them at home. Wonder how fast they would straighten up once they don't have a daily mandatory babysitter.
^ this

Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,479,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Internet and social media contribute to a perception that people are more prone to throw punches nowdays.

I have no idea if there's actually more or less punching than in the past. How would one track it?

I remember as a kid back in the 1950's, it was common for two adults to slug it out. Seems like it became less and less common over the years, but now it seems to be reappearing.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Damn straight!!

Keep it educational and use the yardstick!

I would like to add that, as a teacher, if a parent or student ever raised their hand to me, they would be removed from the scene in a bucket.
A number have threatened but none were stupid enough to carry through.

Remember when parents disciplined their children and not the school staff?

Last edited by quixotic59; 03-14-2016 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 03-14-2016, 08:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Just normal life for some types of people. Look at her picture and you will know what I mean. It is what it is. Another great example to little kids. UGH!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:43 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The mother told the principal she's "not allowed to yell at her child." Perhaps it's time to homeschool then.
The kid would wind up as stupid as the ratchet mother, btw, where's dad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I wish I could say I was surprised when I read the article and saw the mugshot but I wasn't.
Common occurrence, gotta wonder how many times mom showed up for school for parent teacher conferences or made sure the kid did her homework, they only show up to the school when their kid gets "disrespected"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Time to bring back the paddle. When I was in grade school, the teacher had a wooden paddle sitting on the chalkboard tray with holes drilled in it. It had the words "Cracklin Rosie" painted in red on it. That was back in 1978.
Back when I was in 4th grade in 1972 this kid got his butt paddled by the teacher so hard he came to school the next day with a black eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Well paddling used to be a means for punishment. They don't do it anymore so settle down. Your snowflake is safe.
Yeah, safe to be an undisciplined, useless, smart mouthed, unemployable troublemaker.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:59 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Went to public schools from '59 - '71 (the pre-snowflake era).

As the typical, sometimes rambunctious boy, if I got disciplined at school I did not want my parents to find out.

Same with my friends.

We did not go crying to our parents about it. Big mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events