Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times

Advertisements

Many parents today (mainly helicopter parents) are creating a ME generation with absolutely no tolerance, patience or empathy for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 12:50 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not believing that a non-parent should paddle a child with a piece of wood has nothing to do with "snowflakism". Even as a parent, if you paddle a child with a piece of wood, you haven't got the intellect to be a parent.

Generations of polite, well adjusted adults compared with the latest crop of social mutants would tend to prove you incorrect.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:05 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Actually it is in fact strong communication skills that provoke many a punch.

Often one person is goading the other, deliberating aggravating their opponent to the point where violence is the next "natural" step.

One person uses verbal violence to achieve their goals and then objects to someone responding with physical violence.

In fact the courts take provocation into account when deciding these cases. If you verbally provoke don't expect to walk out of court scot-free.

I am not a lawyer but I would like to play one on TV, well if the money was good.
No, no, no and no.

Words are completely different than fists. There is no such thing as verbal violence. There is no physical harm done with words. And violence is not a "natural" step.

Whatever happened to "sticks and stones"?

Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And the bigger deterrent was that you'd get in worse trouble when you went home and your parents found out you got in trouble in school.
That was also when parents didn't go to bat for their kids no matter what horrible thing they've done.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Many parents today (mainly helicopter parents) are creating a ME generation with absolutely no tolerance, patience or empathy for others.
And zero respect. For anyone.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Generations of polite, well adjusted adults compared with the latest crop of social mutants would tend to prove you incorrect.
Millions of children in this country were never paddled with wood. So your statement is totally meaningless.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:18 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Well...way to keep it classy parent that punched the principal. You're setting a great example for your child...

Old 03-15-2016, 01:25 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Nope. In over a dozen years of teaching and another 20 as an administrator, I never had to resort to physical punishment even once.
A good teacher - a good PERSON - finds productive ways to avoid physical punishment.

Spanking or paddling? That's just lazy.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:28 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Millions of children in this country were never paddled with wood. So your statement is totally meaningless.
True. And so is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
A good teacher - a good PERSON - finds productive ways to avoid physical punishment.

Spanking or paddling? That's just lazy.
Agreed. But then children come in all types. From quite mature and self-disciplined beyond their years to feral types.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-15-2016 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 01:49 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Quote:
But on the contrary, many millions of children ,too, were actually paddled that grew up with respect and an understanding of consequences as well.

Sorry, but calling his statement meaningless is wrong and shows your own bias.

I know this, as I am also an educator, parent, and former child that got my butt busted (at home and school) when necessary, and I don't have a criminal record as a result. I didn't develop a violent mentality from it. I don't "beat" my kids. I don't like blood sports, etc.

It's wrong to presume that what works for one (you) works for everyone else, as well. Hell, even my own children respond differently to different punishments.

And as a current educator of over 20 years, I've seen hundreds of students that actually desire the types of punishments meted out by today's administrators. Being sent to a room to stare at the wall is actually preferable to staying in class.

So, no, not meaningless at all.

Last edited by Starman71; 03-15-2016 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events