Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:14 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times

Advertisements

All it really takes is a muslim to adventure onto a isis propaganda video... they get brainwashed, then go out and commit the atrocity . There was a speech by a US General that stated, that is why ISIS is so dangerous. They use social media and other forms of propaganda to brainwash an attacker without even knowing them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:18 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Canadian Citizen wonders:

"NONE of the CF members who work there are armed, why would they be ? "

1. It is the responsible thing to do.

2. It is a basic human right.

3. Because you choose not to be a victim.

And in my case, I'm just too old to take a beating.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

*snip*

Really? So, for example, you believe that airplane passengers should have the right to carry guns?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:00 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
"Two (unarmed) members of the Canadian armed forces "

A masked man ran screaming into a coffee shop near Seattle and attacked the cashier with a hatchet. A customer drew his pistol, shot the hatchet guy and went back to drinking his coffee. The hatchet guy is deceased. The cashier thanked the customer for saving his life. The police said the customer saved several lives.

That's the difference between the US and Canada.
This is the stupidest comment I've read all day. Congratulations. You conveniently ignored the fact that these unarmed members of the CF overpowered the attacker with no loss of life on either side. You also neglected to mention that your country's high gun ownership correlates with a per capita gun crime rate much higher than that of Canada or any other developed nation.

Please keep your toxic ideology south of the 49th. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:25 PM

80 posts, read 79,614 times
^ You could have also mentioned the right wing extremist in Louisiana who opened fire at a movie theater and killed 2 people, injuring 9 others last summer because he was upset at Americas declining "values."

I'm guessing keeping innocent people from being murdered wasn't one of those values that he cared about.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Northern Maine Land Man.

I hate to be the one that tells you this, BUT.

Canada is NOT the USA, we don't arm ourselves on a daily basis, as we don't NEED to do so.

The members of the Canadian Forces ( I was one for 30 years ) are not armed on a daily basis, and certainly not in a office in the middle of the largest city in OUR country. Got that part about OUR country ?? The laws of the USA have NO effect, outside of YOUR boundaries. Got that part ?

In Canada, even off duty Police officers are NOT armed. At the end of their shift they lock their issue firearm in their individual gun locker at the station and go home. That has been the case for at least 50 years, in Canada.

In any event the CF members who subdued, secured, and held the attacker for Police, did so with NO injuries to the attacker. The wounds that three of them suffered were NOT life threatening, and all three of them went home, after medical treatment at the local hospital.

How about this for an idea......learn the facts before you write silly stuff here. OK ?

Brusan, as a ex CF naval guy, could you back me up here ?

Jim B.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:

1. It is the responsible thing to do.

3. Because you choose not to be a victim.

And in my case, I'm just too old to take a beating.
Aah, then that would explain why the Fort Hood and virtually every other of the hundreds of mass shooting that have occurred in the U.S., resulting in thousands of deaths, were so successful.....because they CHOSE to be victims.

All those military bases in the U.S. that forbid the arming of personnel just aren't being responsible in your mind?

A Tally Of Mass Shootings In The U.S. : The Two-Way : NPR

It is also a basic human right to not live in constant fear of your fellow citizens and display a modicum of common sense.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Northern Maine Land Man.

I hate to be the one that tells you this, BUT.

Canada is NOT the USA, we don't arm ourselves on a daily basis, as we don't NEED to do so.

The members of the Canadian Forces ( I was one for 30 years ) are not armed on a daily basis, and certainly not in a office in the middle of the largest city in OUR country. Got that part about OUR country ?? The laws of the USA have NO effect, outside of YOUR boundaries. Got that part ?

In Canada, even off duty Police officers are NOT armed. At the end of their shift they lock their issue firearm in their individual gun locker at the station and go home. That has been the case for at least 50 years, in Canada.

In any event the CF members who subdued, secured, and held the attacker for Police, did so with NO injuries to the attacker. The wounds that three of them suffered were NOT life threatening, and all three of them went home, after medical treatment at the local hospital.

How about this for an idea......learn the facts before you write silly stuff here. OK ?

Brusan, as a ex CF naval guy, could you back me up here ?

Jim B.
With pleasure; the poster is ignoring the reality that the occupants of virtually all U.S. military installations are required to be UNARMED unless their specific duty reg's call for it. Fort Hood ring a bell for anyone?

http://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/mili...e-over-arming/

He's also ignoring the reality that those who choose to be armed in the U.S. are doing so from a basic fear of their fellow citizens and NOT from a tyrannical government run amok. It might be asked why so many of his countrymen are afraid of their fellows.......because they too are armed of course. A concept EVERY other first world nation calling itself civilized is trying to prevent.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:14 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Thanks Brusan.

I predict that the guy from Maine will not come back here. Being told off, in no uncertain terms, by people who actually LIVE IN CANADA......tends to do that.

Jim B.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Thanks Brusan.

I predict that the guy from Maine will not come back here. Being told off, in no uncertain terms, by people who actually LIVE IN CANADA......tends to do that.

Jim B.
Interesting that he even seemed unaware that his own military are unarmed performing similar duties and further would characterize them as being willing victims for being so. A gross display of a lack of any respect for those victims of the Fort Hood shooting.

Altogether, perhaps not the most illustrious or relevant representative of the American populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events