Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Calm down! Let's think of people who might want a pre peeled orange....people with arthritis...someone who is not capable of peeking oranges...
Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,318 times
I would only complain if I saw pre-peeled bananas or boiled eggs wrapped if they could have just been left in their shells.

But pre-peeled apples or many other fruits/vegetables are perfectly acceptable imo. They can be a life saver if you're in a hurry.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I am personally offended that taco bell sells their burritos wrapped in paper the tortilla is already a self-contained wrapper it's sell. Don't even get me started grocery stores selling bread when I could just go out and grow my own wheat, reap my crop, mill the wheat...and make my own bread...some people are so lazy.
You must question the need for wrapped bananas. Bananas have existed perfectly well on shop shelves for decades without the need for wrapping. I'd complain for the pure purpose of needing to unwrap the unnecessary wrapping, which is often harder than the banana skin itself.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:52 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativefeedback View Post
You must question the need for wrapped bananas. Bananas have existed perfectly well on shop shelves for decades without the need for wrapping. I'd complain for the pure purpose of needing to unwrap the unnecessary wrapping, which is often harder than the banana skin itself.
You are thinking of Twinkies....

Old 03-18-2016, 05:04 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Nom, nom, TWINKIES. It's not really food, but who cares!

As far as convenience foods, if you are OK with the price, the go for it. I wouldn't buy 1/2 an avocado, but I can see some folks gobbling them up. As long as they are not icky.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I buy pre-peeled hard-boiled eggs occasionally. I cannot for the life of me peel hard-boiled eggs without destroying the eggs, my fingers, or both. I've tried every trick on Google...none of it works for me.

I don't serve hard-boiled eggs often (maybe 1-2x a year) so I indulge.

I've never bought a pre-peeled avocado or orange, though. That's a new level of insanity IMHO.
I'd guess that folks who have trouble peeling eggs boil fresh eggs instead of letting them sit for about ten days before boiling them? A week would probably be long enough, too. But in any case, it is almost impossible to peel a farm fresh egg no matter what you do to it.

I think it has to do with the amount of moisture in a fresh egg that slowly dissipates with time. Also why old eggs will float with one end up and even older (and by this time bad) eggs completely float.

Considering how close to Easter it's getting - which is a popular time for boiled eggs, and if you have any evil older sisters such as some of us have who think it's fun to color and hide raw eggs; FYI a raw egg will not spin. If you suspect nefarious activities among the eye dyers in your household, spin the egg on your plate before you peel it. If it spins like a top, then it's safe to eat. If it doesn't want to spin, put it where your least favorite relative will choose to eat it.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:31 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But they're just FINE with pre-peeled eggs. I see packs of peeled eggs at Costco all the time and try to figure out who's so darned lazy to buy those.
What I imagine with the eggs is through the boiling process, some of the shells make become damaged. Not only would they may be considered unsightly, there might also be the concern that that bits of broken shell might work their way into the cooked white. I'm sure it's a 5 second process to remove the shell and package them up all white and shiny.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
But they're just FINE with pre-peeled eggs. I see packs of peeled eggs at Costco all the time and try to figure out who's so darned lazy to buy those.
They were pretty handy. We used to have them at work. Not like anyone had time or pots to boil eggs. They were super popular.

I wouldn't buy them at home but I can see why they would show up at work. Peeling a boiled egg can be annoying.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:45 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'd guess that folks who have trouble peeling eggs boil fresh eggs instead of letting them sit for about ten days before boiling them? A week would probably be long enough, too. But in any case, it is almost impossible to peel a farm fresh egg no matter what you do to it.
Except it's rare that I know a week to ten days in advance that I'm going to be making deviled eggs.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
I buy these when I'm on the road. The make an excellent healthy snack/meal when you can't cook. Pre-peeled eggs, pre-cooked chicken, pre-washed veggies all make for easy, healthy meals when you have to stay in a motel room or are driving 12 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events