Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
My grandma has had severe arthritis in her joints. Her hands are all sorts of messed up. At 83 she certainly can't do much like peel oranges.
You know, I thought about that after I'd written and posted. I get that there are physical reasons for buying stuff already peeled, especially around the Costco I occasionally shop at as it's near Sun City. I could see the reason for all of the peeled stuff that has been written about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The world would be a better place if people minded their own damn business.
Now ain't that the truth, on many,many subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'd probably consider them for making lots of deviled eggs. Last time I boiled and peeled them myself, they looked terrible.
Up until recently I didn't know that the way an egg peels mostly depends on it's age. The fresher it is the worse it will peel is what I've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
They have these pre-peeled in packages at Dave's the supermarket where I shop in Cleveland. They are just simply peeled hard boiled eggs sealed in a plastic bag, nothing added. You can get them in packages of six or eight I think. I don't know for sure because I boil my own but I was tempted one time when the electricity went out. I really wanted to make some tuna salad or something with hard boiled eggs and I couldn't use my stove.
I think they sell those eggs primarily in onsie twosies for quick breakfasts / lunches on the go. Sometimes ts not convenient to peel an egg ( or an avocado ) in your cubicle, so if you want to avoid fast food but didn't bring a homemade lunch, these items are an alternative.

It's the plastic water bottles we've really got to work on. The Keurig cups aren't helping matters either. I wonder if the lady who was so outraged partakes in either of those items?

Old 03-18-2016, 08:09 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Up until recently I didn't know that the way an egg peels mostly depends on it's age. The fresher it is the worse it will peel is what I've read.
Oh, I know. But like I mentioned in another post, it's rare that I know more than a week in advance that I'm making deviled eggs. Hence, the eggs that look like they were peeled with a weed whacker. So yeah, precooked and peeled boiled eggs make sense to me.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:40 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Oh, I know. But like I mentioned in another post, it's rare that I know more than a week in advance that I'm making deviled eggs. Hence, the eggs that look like they were peeled with a weed whacker. So yeah, precooked and peeled boiled eggs make sense to me.
Wait a minute. We are talking about boiled eggs here. How do you screw up boiling eggs. It doesn't matter the age of the egg, a properly boiled egg, peels just fine. I'm really in shock right now. Lol. This is a joke right? We are talking about a very easy task here.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:42 AM

729 posts, read 429,456 times
Ew.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I buy pre-peeled hard-boiled eggs occasionally. I cannot for the life of me peel hard-boiled eggs without destroying the eggs, my fingers, or both. I've tried every trick on Google...none of it works for me.

I don't serve hard-boiled eggs often (maybe 1-2x a year) so I indulge.

I've never bought a pre-peeled avocado or orange, though. That's a new level of insanity IMHO.
When next you attempt to peel an egg, please tap the it with a fork a few times. It'll crack in several parts of the shell, you'd simply have to pick the pieces off.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yep, I'm sure. Shake my head every time I see 'em. I don't care about the extra packaging, I'm just amazed that there's a market for such things...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
They have these pre-peeled in packages at Dave's the supermarket where I shop in Cleveland. They are just simply peeled hard boiled eggs sealed in a plastic bag, nothing added. You can get them in packages of six or eight I think. I don't know for sure because I boil my own but I was tempted one time when the electricity went out. I really wanted to make some tuna salad or something with hard boiled eggs and I couldn't use my stove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
i too have seen these at Costco, they are in the "walk-in" next to the milk
Thanks for the info. Curious to see what it looks like. Will keep an eye out for them when next I'm at Costco. Would NOT buy it though, lol

Last edited by Percentage; 03-19-2016 at 01:05 AM..

Old 03-19-2016, 03:59 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
If I could prioritize all the issues in the world, this would rank right up there with "What is Jon Voight wearing to the Oscars?".

Old 03-19-2016, 07:57 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
To me these are more foods on the go -- lunch at work or grabbing a bite between meetings during the week or for kids at school or rushing between games on the weekend. Even things like peeling an orange are too time consuming when lunch is the five minutes between meetings.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Wait a minute. We are talking about boiled eggs here. How do you screw up boiling eggs. It doesn't matter the age of the egg, a properly boiled egg, peels just fine. I'm really in shock right now. Lol. This is a joke right? We are talking about a very easy task here.
Eggs don't always peel easily. The shells can often be difficult to get off, resulting in pitted whites which don't make for a nice deviled egg presentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events