U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2016, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Southern California
967 posts, read 1,013,835 times
Reputation: 2305

Advertisements

A couple of Soldiers are filming an interview in front of the flags of America and Qatar. One of the Soldiers flubs his lines, and they both laugh about it. The video clip gets posted online, the U.S. Ambassador is summoned to some government official's office, and she ends up making an official apology to Qatar. The soldiers weren't ridiculing the flag or the country, so why does the U.S. Government have to apologize?

US Ambassador Summoned in Qatar, Apologizes for Online Video | Military.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2016, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,832,316 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
A couple of Soldiers are filming an interview in front of the flags of America and Qatar. One of the Soldiers flubs his lines, and they both laugh about it. The video clip gets posted online, the U.S. Ambassador is summoned to some government official's office, and she ends up making an official apology to Qatar. The soldiers weren't ridiculing the flag or the country, so why does the U.S. Government have to apologize?

US Ambassador Summoned in Qatar, Apologizes for Online Video | Military.com
The United States does not have to apologize. It chose to apologize because of something called diplomacy.

Laughing in front of a flag? Well, just wait until someone doesn't take their hat off during the American national anthem - and the usual suspects have an outrage meltdown. Maybe that will put things in perspective for you.

But somehow, I doubt it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Sale Creek, TN
3,800 posts, read 3,431,362 times
Reputation: 3985
They didn't burn it, didn't step on it and didn't seem to even touch it. Yet, our ambassador is called to make an apology. If foreign soldiers had done all those things to the U.S. flag, well the 1st amendment would've been used. Maybe that's perspective for you. Sure it was bad taste and shouldn't have been done, but to call an ambassador in to make an apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:24 AM
 
8,025 posts, read 3,889,408 times
Reputation: 27531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
They didn't burn it, didn't step on it and didn't seem to even touch it. Yet, our ambassador is called to make an apology. If foreign soldiers had done all those things to the U.S. flag, well the 1st amendment would've been used. Maybe that's perspective for you. Sure it was bad taste and shouldn't have been done, but to call an ambassador in to make an apology.
Well, except for the fact that foreign soldiers don't enjoy the rights and protections of the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:30 AM
 
11,759 posts, read 5,212,240 times
Reputation: 7964
In before some ding dong mentions Obama's fictitious "apology tour."

Unsettomati and hertfordshire are correct. Remember when you were a kid and your parents made you go apologize to a neighbor, etc. to preserve a good relationship with them, even though you felt like you did nothing wrong, and your apology wasn't sincere. Yeah, it's exactly like that.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 AM
 
16,779 posts, read 9,482,801 times
Reputation: 12147
It's called 'holding yourself to a higher standard' that is intended to set an example for others. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's wasted effort; we'll just have to wait and see won't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM
 
7,012 posts, read 6,641,386 times
Reputation: 5289
Security issue. They're in trouble for mocking being in an "undisclosed" military location and then making an overt gesture to the flag of the country hosting the base.

Qatar funded the training of Islamist rebels by the US military in a location near the U.S. Centcomm headquarters there.

Qatar runs covert desert training camp for Syrian rebels | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Secure Bunker
5,464 posts, read 2,302,625 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The United States does not have to apologize. It chose to apologize because of something called diplomacy.

Laughing in front of a flag? Well, just wait until someone doesn't take their hat off during the American national anthem - and the usual suspects have an outrage meltdown. Maybe that will put things in perspective for you.

But somehow, I doubt it...

So presumably, under your rules, when illegal immigrants burn the American flag outside of Trump events the governments of Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras should apologize to us... right? I mean, it's diplomacy... right?

Maybe that will put things in perspective for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Overlook Hotel 1921
1,653 posts, read 1,567,837 times
Reputation: 2826
Almost made it past the first page without a derp Trump post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 12:30 PM
 
8,025 posts, read 3,889,408 times
Reputation: 27531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
So presumably, under your rules, when illegal immigrants burn the American flag outside of Trump events the governments of Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras should apologize to us... right? I mean, it's diplomacy... right?

Maybe that will put things in perspective for you...
Big difference ... illegal immigrants are not in this country in an official capacity, representing their countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top