Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
You still dont need a fax for that. I have a picture of my signature that can be imported into any document. There have been many things that needed a "wet signature" that I was able to "sign" and send off without ever printing a page.
Used a fax just last night. Had to sign a form and send it back to Nissan. I had no image of my signature anywhere, didn't feel like making one and wouldn't know how to add it to a pdf form. The only alternative was to take a picture. I have done that before but you have to be careful with lighting, background etc. I want it to look official. But I don't disagree. Fax machine use has plummeted but still every business office has one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 09:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
I know form somewhere that VHS tapes could also be used as computer backup storage. Wonder what the VHS tap capacity is in todays world of gigabytes.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
Ok, here I go. In my house I have 2 vcr/cd combo machines still hooked up and working fine. I have 1 vcr machine hooked up and working.

I have a fax/scanner/copier machine that we use all the time. We get about 5 faxes a week (business) and send as many.

I have a little tape rewinder, it is a bright red vintage car and its headlights light up when it's running! Still works fine. Back in the day we were told rewinding with our tape machine would wear out the tape machine!

I have a SmithCorona SD700 typewriter which I still use. Only use it a couple times a year, but I used to use it all the time till I figured out how to get our proposal into a template program in the computer.

My husband still uses one of those Nokia cell phones. Works fine. Mine is another brand's version of a Blackberry.

My daughter still owns her little portable 8-track player and she has her little sound track to the first Muppet Movie..... "Why are there so many songs about Rainbows..."

I don't feel deprived or unhappy. We have tapes if we choose to view them. My wedding is on a tape...I should do something about that at least. We have a double cassette tape player and tapes of my children's Christmases. Our surround sound is a wired one and we recently had to get an adapter so the equipment could read the stuff coming from our tv. When we got the new flat screen, we didn't know why the sound equip. quit working... until we took the booklet to an electronics store and they sold us the $15 converter to get the signal back from digital...

All our TV's are flat screen except for one little one in a guest bedroom, and the darn thing won't quit working so I can replace it. Oh, we still have land line telephones, 1 is a speaker phone with all the buttons on the base unit. Very handy when I'm inputting a bunch of numbers and need my hands free for pen and paper.

Ok, now that I wrote all that out I'm a little embarrassed. I guess we've just been too busy working to keep upgrading and learning new. We have very little time left. Maybe if I spent less time here...

Old 07-26-2016, 10:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
I have just brought the cluster back into use, 7 DVDs burning from 9 VHS units (5 decks, two VHS feeding to 2 DVR). They are busy "converting" VHS to DVD so that history is not lost when the final VCR has died.

Granted, the cluster was out of use for weeks because keeping up with it is quite a feat, keeping track of what has been converted.

But for now, the VHS is playing this night somewhere........in a manner of speaking.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:52 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Used a fax just last night. Had to sign a form and send it back to Nissan. I had no image of my signature anywhere, didn't feel like making one and wouldn't know how to add it to a pdf form. The only alternative was to take a picture. I have done that before but you have to be careful with lighting, background etc. I want it to look official. But I don't disagree. Fax machine use has plummeted but still every business office has one.
When the first fax machine came out in '70s, the company that I worked at had to designate a room exclusively for the installation of that humongous machine.

Before fax, they used telex. And before telex, they used telegram. Both telex and telegram were just text-based messages. For telegram, they needed a specific dictionary to decode the message.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:03 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
When the first fax machine came out in '70s, the company that I worked at had to designate a room exclusively for the installation of that humongous machine.

Before fax, they used telex. And before telex, they used telegram. Both telex and telegram were just text-based messages. For telegram, they needed a specific dictionary to decode the message.
I used to sell fax machines back when you still had to tell people what they did. Circa 1987.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
Place where I worked in my early 20's had telex machine, at least I believe that was what they were. We had to put the phone receiver in a cradle and in about 5 minutes the drum would turn round and round and send the paper a cm at a time. We also had some sort of machine I can't remember the name. Oh we called it the twix machine. I was taught to sit at it and dial number and type the message that would be received at the other end. It would go faster and be cheaper if we made a little ticker tape first (because a lot of our stuff was tables and numbers and took a while to type) and then we'd dial the number and run this ticker tape through the machine to transmit. Of course our payroll was done using IBM cards and those big machines were in the basement of this big building.

Our first fax machine had a film cartridge we had to change so receiving a fax was quite pricey. We were also paying a lot for the minutes of long distance.

I guess all this new technology is great, it saves a lot of time, but it sure doesn't save much money that I can see. Anyone seen the prices on those little retro-looking turntables just to play vinyl?

Old 07-27-2016, 01:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times
For those architectural and engineering firms, fax machine was a godsend when it first came out.

I recalled there were so many discrepancies in overseas orders by telex. Many conferences were held that staffs from overseas branches had to flow in to attend to resolve all those discrepancies.

When fax came out that drawing plans could be transmitted, everyone sighed a relief.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 07-27-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-01-2016, 05:08 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Not sure if by "digital receiver" you mean a digital cable box -- I don't have one of those and don't plan to get one (I only have cable through the wall -- no boxes -- and everything works fine as TWC has dozens of non-digital channels). My DVD recorders and HDTVs have digital tuners so once Charter Comm switches to all-digital, I will still be able to get cable with them without a digital box (will just have to re-tune everything for digital channels), but I didn't think the VCR would work since it of course doesn't have a digital tuner. Are you saying it SHOULD work anyway?
No, you would need to add one of the external digital broadcast receivers, they can tune for OTA or cable. That will work until such time as the cable cos begin encrypting *everything*.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Now, supposedly now that I have a TIVO, I can do that. At least at one time, though, there was a simpler and probably a cheaper (TIVO comes from the cable company) way to do it.
You can buy your own DVR, you don't have to rent from CableCo. Even better than VCR, if you forget to set a recording, as long as it's on the correct channel the previous 6 hours will be available so you can 'go back in time'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events