Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:18 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

I keep wondering if the three of them were high when they came up with this idea. Like, for real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 12:25 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This commercial is definitely not politically correct.

I'm sure the people who like to pretend that they oppose political correctness are the ones who are the most outraged at this example of political incorrectness. After all, It's only political correctness when they're not the ones taking offense. When they're offended, that it's magically not political correctness anymore.

It must be nice to live in a world where the definitions of offense revolves entirely around you...
what? personally i am against all the "political correctness" going on these days. i don't pretend to feel that way. i DO feel that way. people can't seem to say anything anymore without someone throwing a fit about it. and i'm not "outraged". that word sure gets a lot of use these days too. everyone who feels a certain way about something that they disagree with is not immediately automatically "outraged". sometimes you just think something is wrong or bad. no outrage involved.

but come on now, sometimes something is just flat out in really horribly bad taste. not everything has to be "politically correct" or "politically incorrect".

seriously, we can't even acknowledge that something is in bad taste anymore without someone coming and bringing in whether it is politically incorrect or politically correct. liberal/conservative. right/left. republican/democrat. black/white.

jeezus.....

Old 09-10-2016, 12:25 PM

998 posts, read 786,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Perhaps another attack on this country, maybe in TX this time will get those who are so flippant into being more sensitive.

Why? What are you planning?

Old 09-10-2016, 12:35 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree; we created Memorial Day to celebrate Veterans who gave their lives in the line of duty. However, one of the strange events that occurs around the Memorial Day holiday is furniture sales, particularly mattress sales. My wife and I were having a conversation about this. We are having mattress problems in April and decided to put off buying a new mattress until Memorial Day when they much cheaper. I can't for the life of me figure out the connection between war veterans and mattresses

I think this mattress store thought that they could get away with having a 9/11 sale because customers would think it was just another Memorial Day mattress sale; only in September. If one considers how absurd it is to buy discounted mattresses for Memorial Day, neither concept makes any sense. The 9/11 sale is in horrible taste, without a doubt, but since it's quite possible she was thinking along the lines of typical Memorial Day mattress sales, she was using fallacious reasoning to guide her into an even worse decision.
Quote:
Thinking? There was no thinking going on at all in this situation.

And get away with what? What is there to get away with?

Perhaps another attack on this country, maybe in TX this time will get those who are so flippant into being more sensitive.

Talk about being flippant and insensitive. As a Texan, I am offended by your comment And you didn't address my point at all, that I believe those people somehow thought that they could hold a Memorial Day mattress sale in September by making this terrible association. And no one has explained to me why we have furniture sales during the Memorial Day holiday anyway. Does anyone know?

Old 09-10-2016, 12:40 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
what? personally i am against all the "political correctness" going on these days. i don't pretend to feel that way. i DO feel that way. people can't seem to say anything anymore without someone throwing a fit about it. and i'm not "outraged". that word sure gets a lot of use these days too. everyone who feels a certain way about something that they disagree with is not immediately automatically "outraged". sometimes you just think something is wrong or bad. no outrage involved.

but come on now, sometimes something is just flat out in really horribly bad taste. not everything has to be "politically correct" or "politically incorrect".

seriously, we can't even acknowledge that something is in bad taste anymore without someone coming and bringing in whether it is politically incorrect or politically correct. liberal/conservative. right/left. republican/democrat. black/white.

jeezus.....
No, you're not. This is politically incorrect, and you're one of the people opposing it for precisely that reason.

You're doing exactly what people who pretend to oppose political correctness do -- you're defining political correctness as any avoiding of speech that might offend someone... unless you're one of the ones offended. You're making it all about you.

That's the red herring of the assertions of people who claim to oppose political correctness. We all oppose some forms of offense. Politeness and decorum are political correctness by definition.

Oh, I don't think you're pretending. You've just bought the conceit that it's only political correctness if you dislike a certain type of offense. If you like it, it's not. You've swallowed that silliness whole.

Now, the people who claim to be outraged over political correctness themselves have all sorts of things that offend them. Like this commercial. Or not standing during the national anthem. Or referring to someone blows himself up as a 'suicide bomber' (remember 'homicide bombers'?). Two men on television holding hands. Virtually any criticism of police. And that's a quandry. How do the people who endlessly whine about others taking offense at things allow themselves to take offense at anything? Simple -- they define any offense with which they don't agree as 'political correctness', and any offense with which they do agree is perfectly acceptable.

It's hard to get any more self-centered than that.

And I, for one, am not buying that BS. I call it out. I'm not saying I like this commercial. Personally, I find it terribly tacky and vulgar. But I'm not someone who pretends that taking offense is a bad thing except when I'm the one offended. Because I don't think the world revolves around me.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:43 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No, you're not. This is politically incorrect, and you're one of the people opposing it for precisely that reason.

You're doing exactly what people who pretend to oppose political correctness do -- you're defining political correctness as any avoiding of speech that might offend someone... unless you're one of the ones offended. You're making it all about you.

That's the red herring of the assertions of people who claim to oppose political correctness. We all oppose some forms of offense. Politeness and decorum are political correctness by definition.

Oh, I don't think you're pretending. You've just bought the conceit that it's only political correctness if you dislike a certain type of offense. If you like it, it's not. You've swallowed that silliness whole.

Now, the people who claim to be outraged over political correctness themselves have all sorts of things that offend them. Like this commercial. Or not standing during the national anthem. Or referring to someone blows himself up as a 'suicide bomber' (remember 'homicide bombers'?). Two men on television holding hands. Virtually any criticism of police. And that's a quandry. How do the people who endlessly whine about others taking offense at things allow themselves to take offense at anything? Simple -- they define any offense with which they don't agree as 'political correctness', and any offense with which they do agree is perfectly acceptable.

It's hard to get any more self-centered than that.

And I, for one, am not buying that BS. I call it out. I'm not saying I like this commercial. Personally, I find it terribly tacky and vulgar. But I'm not someone who pretends that taking offense is a bad thing except when I'm the one offended. Because I don't think the world revolves around me.
wrong.

and i am not "offended" by this commercial.

how can you sit there and tell me whether i am for or against political correctness? you don't know me or anything about me.

this commercial to me is in bad taste. i'm not offended. i'm not outraged. i'm not declaring it politically incorrect. YOU ARE.

relax...

Old 09-10-2016, 01:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Horrible sense of humor. When it comes to making a profit, nothing is sacred or taboo?

And before the liberals come in an attack me for not approving of that @#$% commercial, know that I lost my younger brother when those towers came down.

The commercial sucks, as does the attitude behind the making of it.
I think this is an issue that liberals wouldn't attack you on, just those free speech period far leftists whether super liberal or libertarian. I was at the high school football game with my mother at the local school and I reminded her that 15 years ago almost to the minute was the last time we saw the towers on a trip back to Long Island on the Tneck from upstate NY.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:25 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird
Seriously...evil people are behind that commercial.
I first read this on Ogrish and Ill say the same thing here as I said there......

Many strange things behind 9/11 but one thing is certain: THE OFFICIAL REPORT IS COMPLETE BS!!

Old 09-10-2016, 01:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Talk about being flippant and insensitive. As a Texan, I am offended by your comment And you didn't address my point at all, that I believe those people somehow thought that they could hold a Memorial Day mattress sale in September by making this terrible association. And no one has explained to me why we have furniture sales during the Memorial Day holiday anyway. Does anyone know?

Isn't that just too bad about you being offended.

You don't get it do you? You think a mattress store in Brooklyn would do this?

It sure seems that living in TX and having no personal connection to 9/11 in addition to their age played a role in this.

I didn't say I hoped something happened. I don't want to see any part of our country attacked. I said perhaps if it happened closer to them they wouldn't be so flippant. Many people don't seem to "get" things until it happens to them directly.

You don't think their behavior is flippant?

Why do you keep defending them? Because it happened in TX?

Old 09-10-2016, 02:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Isn't that just too bad about you being offended.

You don't get it do you? You think a mattress store in Brooklyn would do this?

It sure seems that living in TX and having no personal connection to 9/11 in addition to their age played a role in this.

I didn't say I hoped something happened. I don't want to see any part of our country attacked. I said perhaps if it happened closer to them they wouldn't be so flippant. Many people don't seem to "get" things until it happens to them directly.

You don't think their behavior is flippant?

Why do you keep defending them? Because it happened in TX?
I have always said that people who didn't live in or near the impacted areas or people who didn't lose a family member just don't get it like those of us who DO live in an affected area or have family or friends or people we know from our towns who died. It just wasn't the same type of horror for people outside the NYC area, the New York attack at least. In Middletown NJ 37 people died. The single most loss of life on 9/11 for a town or municipality outside the 5 boroughs. Dozens of cars remained in the train station parking lot in Middletown for days because victims obviously could not come pick them up. Cars still there at 3 am on September 12, never to be picked up by those who left them there the morning of the 11th. It was similar in my town, which lost 6. This is just the type of stuff that's unfathomable to the average Texas (or nearly every other US state) resident unless that person lost a family member in one of the far away cities or on one of the planes.

Sorry but it just wasn't the same for some of you. I think that's what Seain Dublin is trying to say. Not that he wants something to happen in TX but that maybe people would get it more if something so horrible happened right at home in Texas.

Here's a recent article on 9/11's impact in Middletown, NJ. http://www.app.com/story/news/local/...sary/89337568/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events