Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 05:49 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
- See more at: School sorry after child wears Hitler costume

Durp... I'm a bit puzzled with how the school would even allow it considering children's literature and Nazis don't go together, and I really have to question parent(s) that think a Nazi outfit is the way to go for this event.
Circular 1939:
http://www.wienerlibrary.co.uk/domai...jpg389x300.jpg

Maybe the teacher thought of Charlie Chaplin in 'The Great Dictator'.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Fascinating.

Of course, we should remember that early Nazism was perceived to be about the glorification of the country and the race, and about athletic youngsters (including girls!) frolicking in the mountains, and officers wearing snappy uniforms - not about the mass extermination of a people. That relatively wholesome image is one reason why the Nazi threat was not taken seriously.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:24 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
Thats bs. To me and my ilk that image is absolutely horrifying ......

Old 09-11-2016, 03:06 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Wow, you have to be kidding. Or not. See, there are these things called "books", especially "history" books, that you can "read" and which will provide you with knowledge of the world and its' past, including major wars and the resulting horrors. Not everyone relies on television or movies for the totality of their knowledge.
Kids are no longer reading books anymore. They are texting each other, snap chatting and gaming. They have no idea what real reading is, and the schools are forced to dumb down or fail the bulk of the class, which cost money to remedy.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:54 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Since this headline is about a situation in Australia, I doubt as an American that I can conclude that my growing up in the 50's here in the USA would compare. I have no idea what part if any Australia played in the history of wars.

I do remember many news reels repeatedly showing Nikita Khruschev saying..."We will bury you" Which is easily found online to this day.

And drills in school involving hunching down under our desks....which later I learned was to enable the body count should the worst happen.

But, I think the parents should have given more thought to how they were dressing up their child....regardless.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:54 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
"Yes, hello, I'm sorry to tell you that your child has been taken into child protective services because you are too stupid to be a parent."

Old 09-11-2016, 10:08 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
The day was book related. Maybe the kid's favorite book was Anne Frank. Or maybe he had been in the play The Sound Of Music.

Children love to dress up as monsters. Look at how many zombies, ghosts, and Freddy's there are at Halloween. Just because the kid dressed up as Hitler doesn't mean he was advocating racism or genocide. He could have been fully aware that Hitler was a monster.

Veering way off the track of the politically correct, the German uniforms looked sharp. If the uniform was well done, maybe the child really was the best dressed. Getting votes for sharp creases in his pants does not mean that the student body was approving of genocide.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:25 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The day was book related. Maybe the kid's favorite book was Anne Frank. Or maybe he had been in the play The Sound Of Music.

Children love to dress up as monsters. Look at how many zombies, ghosts, and Freddy's there are at Halloween. Just because the kid dressed up as Hitler doesn't mean he was advocating racism or genocide. He could have been fully aware that Hitler was a monster.

Veering way off the track of the politically correct, the German uniforms looked sharp. If the uniform was well done, maybe the child really was the best dressed. Getting votes for sharp creases in his pants does not mean that the student body was approving of genocide.
I agree. The Wehrmacht always looked very sharp, and the Schutzstaffel dressed to the nine's, all the way down to the cuff-links.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:00 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Nevertheless, when does one start reading such books? How many children these days read?

Further, when does one start to understand the horrors of such events, that they were really bad things?

In 7th and 8th grade, one of my "favorite" books in the library was an Amnesty International report on torture in Greece. Given a constant stream of Roger Corman flicks on TV and a certain encouragement to be blood thirsty, I could not appreciate that what I was readying was bad.

When does one start to learn about such things and when does one start to learn that they are indeed horrors?
I learned in elementary school in the midwest, with the diary of Anne Frank as required reading, as did my children in school in the south, along with Elie Wiesel's book NIGHT. It was also a part of world history classes in middle/high school.
As far as I know these books are still a part of the reading requirements at many schools, and world history still covers these topics in HS classes.
And it sounds as though you are roughly my age so maybe you heard about the documentary series The World at War, a very graphic and horrifying account of WWII that ran on TV for months in the early 70's?
I fail to see how one could manage to get through the typical US high school and not understand how horrific these things were.

Last edited by DubbleT; 09-11-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 01:09 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
A child may not understand what Hitler did and what he represents, but I don't understand how the child's parents could let him go to school dressed as Hitler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events