Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 10:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,480,696 times

Advertisements

AFAIK, 4K TVs are still have a "partial adaptation". HD TVs OTOH... they've been going down in price since at least 5 years ago that there are a good # of people who have HD TVs in 50"+ sizes where the higher resolutions are VERY noticeable vs. SD TV. HD streaming eats up about up to 3 GB per hour. We're looking at 300 GB per person.

Somebody plays video games? Downloading a game off Steam eats up about 300MB to 20 GB. Online play adds to that. Then you have cloud services, YouTube, other streaming services.

Many of us may not exceed 1 TB, but I do know some techie people/families who do, and it's been a pain in the neck for them. And no, they don't do torrents 24/7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 AM

244 posts, read 168,976 times
This has everything to do with more and more people are ditching cable tv and going with streaming. The cable companies see this coming and are trying to keep power over services. More sling tv types will prob spring up over the next few years I predict.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 AM

196 posts, read 389,222 times
I was informed by a Comcast Cable installer (actually two different ones because I had to install Comcast Business to avoid caps) that Comcast has plenty of bandwidth. They told me Comcast is just protecting it's TV service. They know if people start using the internet to watch media that it will cut into their TV services, which they are trying to expand. I think I'll go with what people who actually work there have confirmed, rather than blind optimism...

Also, I bet the markets that Comcast is doing it's "trial" in are either monopolized or very close to by them. They would never do this in a competitive market - look how they had to adjust their Florida and Georgia plan because of the threat of Google fiber. I hope Google goes crazy and installs fiber from coast to coast - it's time the likes of Comcast get out of the ISP business, even if they need to be run out.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:20 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,078,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Comcast gets closer to nationwide data caps with expansion in 18 states | Ars Technica

To be fair, a terabyte is a ton of data. If you're burning through a terabyte, you need to rethink your life because you're spending too much time in front of the TV streaming and on the net.
A better solution would be to throttle the speed of heavy users. For instance if you use more than 200 GB per month, then your speed is throttled down to 5 Mbit so you won't cause a big impact on the network.

What I feel is that they are planning to go for a capped model. 1TB is just their starting point, but over time they will drop it to much lower levels in areas they have monopoly.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:30 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,088,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Nothing more than another money grab. It has nothing to do with any of the bs excuses like customer convenience. I love when companies raise prices and lower the value and tell consumers it's for their convenience. Yeah sure it is.
Yet another example of megacorps taking advantage of people because "there's nothing they can do about it, we're huge, we have lots of lawyers and lobbyists so we can do what we want."

Prediction: People will get fed up. Actions outside 'the law' will be taken against megacorps and banks.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:46 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,344,065 times
So I haven't received this message yet, but since they're limiting in some areas... where is our discount? You're giving us less effective service!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:12 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,879 times
Comcast expands data caps to more markets

Quote:
it's building for a future where it can charge people more long after they have given up the opportunity to be outraged or fight back.

The company wants consumers to believe data caps won't impact them (which is true today, but probably not in the future). Then Comcast makes the same argument AT&T*and Verizon have made for years to justify charging their wireless customers billions of dollars in overages.
It's easy to see what Comcast wants to do and even why it wants to do it, especially since it worked so well for so long for AT&T and Verizon

For many years, the wireless industry operated in lockstep and if consumers wanted access to any post-paid (contracted) plan with a Big Four carrier, they had to accept either paying overages or buying a plan bigger than they likely needed just to avoid them. T-Mobile*put an end to that by giving consumers an option by dropping all overages.
The rest of the wireless industry eventually had to follow (even though AT&T and Verizon are not completely there yet). Comcast's problem is that ISPs have not been on the same page the way the wireless carriers were for years. In many markets, the company has non-capped rivals, and not having caps will very likely be a selling point for new types of service being developed -- be they fiber, internet-carrying blimps, AT&T's power-line-delivered internet, or something else entirely

In addition, the company won't be charging people for the first two months in which they exceed the cap. "You will only be subject to overage charges if you use more than a terabyte for a third time in a 12-month period," the company wrote, noting that if you only go over twice in a year, the next year you will receive another two free passes. If a customer exceeds the cap three times in a 12-month period, no more courtesy months will be given.
On the third month a customer goes over, Comcast "will automatically add blocks of 50 GB to your account for an additional fee of $10 each," according to the FAQ, with total charges not to exceed "$200 each month, no matter how much you use."

Old 10-10-2016, 10:31 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,939,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
AFAIK, 4K TVs are still have a "partial adaptation". HD TVs OTOH... they've been going down in price since at least 5 years ago that there are a good # of people who have HD TVs in 50"+ sizes where the higher resolutions are VERY noticeable vs. SD TV. HD streaming eats up about up to 3 GB per hour. We're looking at 300 GB per person.

Somebody plays video games? Downloading a game off Steam eats up about 300MB to 20 GB. Online play adds to that. Then you have cloud services, YouTube, other streaming services.

Many of us may not exceed 1 TB, but I do know some techie people/families who do, and it's been a pain in the neck for them. And no, they don't do torrents 24/7
We increasingly are downloading games as well. Some of the games run 80 gigs, each. 40-60 seems to be normal.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,344,065 times
June I was 980gb, August 888gb

I'm not a fan of this 1TB cap being imposed I'm sure you can tell lol.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:13 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,879 times
Quote:
In addition, the company won't be charging people for the first two months in which they exceed the cap. "You will only be subject to overage charges if you use more than a terabyte for a third time in a 12-month period," the company wrote, noting that if you only go over twice in a year, the next year you will receive another two free passes. If a customer exceeds the cap three times in a 12-month period, no more courtesy months will be given.
On the third month a customer goes over, Comcast "will automatically add blocks of 50 GB to your account for an additional fee of $10 each," according to the FAQ, with total charges not to exceed "$200 each month, no matter how much you use."
As of now, from the way I read it, is for two months (out of twelve) there will be no cap. I would think all the holiday gifts that could come along, (tvs, computers, apps, video games, updates) will be saved if they can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
June I was 980gb, August 888gb

I'm not a fan of this 1TB cap being imposed I'm sure you can tell lol.
just curious; If this restriction was put on you that way, that for two months you could go .... (just an example, oh... ) 3TB if you had enough to do; Would YOU (or to anyone else who gets that close or exceeds 1TB,) be able to put off any of your activity so that you could save or DL it prior to or postpone it so that you could just completely exceed the 1TB cap if you were to do it twice a year in order to make sure you had room the other 5 & 1/2 months between? Or is your activity something that you more or less need to keep up-to-date on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events