Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,095,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Calling for wholesale change in societal views on the public health epidemic of distracted driving, a Le Sueur County judge sentenced a New Prague woman to community service, probation and four days in jail in the death a year ago of a 79-year-old school bus driver.

"You are a gifted teacher; use that gift," Judge Mark Vandelist said to Susan Ann Russo, seated at the defendant's table in a quiet courtroom filled with a couple dozen friends and family members of both the late Joseph Tikalsky and Russo.

The judge encouraged Russo because he hoped she would become a force for change after the "absolute tragic consequence" of her distracted driving — likely while texting.

Russo, 48, struck and killed Tikalsky on Oct. 28 as he collected his morning newspaper from a box on the road in front of his home. Tikalsky was wearing a reflective jacket at the time and was on break from his work as a school bus driver, a job he didn't need but continued because he loved being with kids.
4 days in jail for texting driver who killed man getting his paper - StarTribune.com

Pretty unbelievable.

Last edited by dude1984; 10-17-2016 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 01:42 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I've forgotten, how many times more dangerous it is for texting while driving compared to drunk driving? 6 X more dangerous? 8 X more dangerous?

And the police, they're so tunnel-focused on DUI's. One reason it's a big revenue generator, and they have the technological capability to determine it.

No technology available yet to decipher sleep-deprived drivers, as dangerous as texters and drunk drivers!

Old 10-18-2016, 01:51 AM

90 posts, read 102,510 times
Anyone else think she would have been given a much harsher sentence had she been a man?

Old 10-18-2016, 03:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Angry *

It sad ANYONE would only be given 4 days AFTER KILLING SOMEONE WHILE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGIAL!! (Its illegial to text and drive)

Old 10-18-2016, 07:04 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,297 times
I think that her legal troubles are FARRR from over, even after minimal time behind bars as I'm willing to bet the farm that his estate will clean out all of her assets handsomely in the upcoming civil suit, above and beyond whatever liability coverage she had on her auto insurance.

Not that it brings him back of course, but a strong message must be sent via civil court, since the criminal court obviously has given nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I think that her legal troubles are FARRR from over, even after minimal time behind bars as I'm willing to bet the farm that his estate will clean out all of her assets handsomely in the upcoming civil suit, above and beyond whatever liability coverage she had on her auto insurance.

Not that it brings him back of course, but a strong message must be sent via civil court, since the criminal court obviously has given nothing but a slap on the wrist.
True.

I've had 3 friends\co-workers rear ended by texting drivers so far this year.

Idiot today on my way to work swerving all over the road was texting, could see the phone in his hand. The number generally ranges from about 1-5 people I see driving distracted each day on my way to work over a 15minute drive. That's not people talking on cell phones etc. but people that I happen to notice swerving or otherwise driving poorly that have a cell phone or tablet etc. in plain sight.

I remember about a year a go a lady with a tablet on her steering wheel...yep, she rear-ended a guy in the classic traffic starts to move then stops scenario.

Insurance rates will hopefully teach them a lesson.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
True.

I've had 3 friends\co-workers rear ended by texting drivers so far this year.

Idiot today on my way to work swerving all over the road was texting, could see the phone in his hand. The number generally ranges from about 1-5 people I see driving distracted each day on my way to work over a 15minute drive. That's not people talking on cell phones etc. but people that I happen to notice swerving or otherwise driving poorly that have a cell phone or tablet etc. in plain sight.

I remember about a year a go a lady with a tablet on her steering wheel...yep, she rear-ended a guy in the classic traffic starts to move then stops scenario.

Insurance rates will hopefully teach them a lesson.
The problem with that is, that it won't be just her rates that go up, but everyone else's too.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:42 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
If that driver had a small bad of marijuana on them, they would have got 20 years in jail

Old 10-18-2016, 09:54 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
It's called a "deterrent".

Pretty sure everyone will mind their Ps and Qs now.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruspalinski View Post
Anyone else think she would have been given a much harsher sentence had she been a man?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events