Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times

Advertisements

DUI Charge for Tesla Driver Who Was Sleeping While Vehicle in Auto-Pilot Mode | KSRO

A Tesla driver in California is facing a DUI charge after being caught sleep-driving while the car was on auto-pilot. Art Montiel with the CHP says officers were able to stop the car by pulling a patrol car in front of it, then slowing down.

The car eventually slowed from 70 miles per hour to 30 miles per hour over the course of about seven miles. Highway patrol officers say when the Model S driver failed to yield for a traffic stop in San Mateo early Friday morning, they pulled alongside him to find him either asleep or passed out. The 45-year-old man was taken into custody after failing a sobriety test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:34 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Is "I wasn't the one driving" defense a good one in this case?? Tesla's system was doing the driving, no?

Old 12-04-2018, 05:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
This was a pretty dumb move by police, but I guess they do not like where this is going (self drive cars), as that will mean they are not needed to patrol the roads that much anymore.

In this case, IMO, the guy should have resisted arrest, HE WAS NOT DRIVING. I know alot of people say its best to just let them arrest you and fight it out in court, but in a case like this, where police are so clearly in the wrong, that doesnt seem like the best course of action.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:00 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This was a pretty dumb move by police, but I guess they do not like where this is going (self drive cars), as that will mean they are not needed to patrol the roads that much anymore.

In this case, IMO, the guy should have resisted arrest, HE WAS NOT DRIVING. I know alot of people say its best to just let them arrest you and fight it out in court, but in a case like this, where police are so clearly in the wrong, that doesnt seem like the best course of action.
There is a law that clearly says the driver needs to be alert and able to make any corrects that could save lives. Self driving cars are new and obviously not completely safe. People died in Arizona and California when the cars failed.

You act as if that law is stupid which is kind of crazy. The law exists for a very obvious reason. Now we have a drunk who was incapable of following the law and you want to blame the officer? GTFO of here.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:15 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
What's the point of a self-driving car if the driver has to appear to be driving it the whole time? I thought that was the entire reasoning behind them - the driver could read the newspaper, nap, get home intoxicated legally, etc.

On the other hand, this isn't a fully self-driving car if cops weren't able to get it to stop, only to slow down?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What's the point of a self-driving car if the driver has to appear to be driving it the whole time? I thought that was the entire reasoning behind them - the driver could read the newspaper, nap, get home intoxicated legally, etc.

On the other hand, this isn't a fully self-driving car if cops weren't able to get it to stop, only to slow down?
Automation reduces fatigue and increases one's ability to monitor around them. I work in the transportation industry where we must balance the use of automation along with paying attention to what is going on. Computers are excellent are executing mundane tasks and monitoring systems, but when it comes to the overall big picture, they are not good at all (yet).

Tesla cars are not self driving, it's an "enhanced" form of cruise control.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:25 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:

This is a good example of why the general public is not ready for this technology. As the operator of a car you are 100% in control of it and classified as "the driver". Moving forward laws will continue to reflect that until we get to the point where cars are like trains and you are simply along for the ride in back. The manufacturers will assume responsibility at that point.

It actually scares me a little bit that you have this mentality, but is an overall reflection upon our society that has shunned personal responsibility.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:

It is clearly obvious you know nothing about DUI laws, nor the Tesla auto system.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:45 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
If self-driving cars cut down on the number of drunk driving accidents, I'm all for it. Let's change the laws and let guys like this one get home without killing themselves or anybody else.

Last year, over 37,000 people died in traffic accidents. It's long been estimated that about half of those are due to drunk driving. Every single one of us knows someone who was hurt or killed in a car accident.

Self-driving technology is still in its infancy and presents some weird problems such as in this article, where the car won't slow down for a patrol officer. This is solvable; issue a remote control to the police that cause such cars to slow down and pull over!

It'll cost a lot of money and time, but if we can cut those deaths (plus the hundreds of thousands of non-fatal injuries) down even by a few hundred, or more likely by a few thousand, won't it be worth it?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:59 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If self-driving cars cut down on the number of drunk driving accidents, I'm all for it. Let's change the laws and let guys like this one get home without killing themselves or anybody else.

Last year, over 37,000 people died in traffic accidents. It's long been estimated that about half of those are due to drunk driving. Every single one of us knows someone who was hurt or killed in a car accident.

Self-driving technology is still in its infancy and presents some weird problems such as in this article, where the car won't slow down for a patrol officer. This is solvable; issue a remote control to the police that cause such cars to slow down and pull over!

It'll cost a lot of money and time, but if we can cut those deaths (plus the hundreds of thousands of non-fatal injuries) down even by a few hundred, or more likely by a few thousand, won't it be worth it?
As long as the operator can take control of the car, then they are responsible no matter how autonomous the car is.

The only way out of this is for the car to be 100% autonomous, where the person has zero ability to take any control of the car.

The Tesla is not 100% autonomous and not even close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events