Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:24 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Good Samaritan offered to spot diners cash, then they went ‘ballistic’ | New York Post

Quote:
A disabled Brooklyn man kindly offered a couple of bucks to two diners who were short of cash at an eatery — and received a beating with his own cane as thanks, cops and the victim said Wednesday.

Then, as the good Samaritan was writhing in pain on the ground, another thug came over and rifled through his pockets...

...He said he had $1,000 cash in his pocket, so when he overheard two men complain they didn’t have enough money to buy the food they wanted, he offered to help out...

...“He started saying stuff like, ‘Why are you talking to me?’ Then he took my cane, which was leaning on the table, and hit me over the head. The next thing I knew I was on the floor.”...
"Why are you talking to me?" Really? That's one hell of a superiority complex there.

People compain about needing help, or tell others that they are selfish for not helping...this guy helps, and this is the result?

WTH is wrong with people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Talk about no good deed going unpunished!

I think those two deserve 3 free meals a day, plus free housing, for several years as an appropriate reward for their behavior.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:55 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Speaking as someone who has worked for various charity organizations, let me just say this. If you're going to feed a stray, always be prepared to be bitten.

The general misconception among social justice warriors is if you help someone he will thank you and you will feel good about it. More often than not, the opposite is true. Not only will they not appreciate your help, they will hate you for it.

I'm typing on my phone, so I'll go deeper in to details when I actually have a computer.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
I have learnt that lesson long ago, although in a more benign way. Never help a stranger. Not ever. Save all your dollars for your friends and family - those who will really thank you.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
I have learnt that lesson long ago, although in a more benign way. Never help a stranger. Not ever. Save all your dollars for your friends and family - those who will really thank you.
Well, I encourage people to help others not because they would get thanked for it and it would make them feel good. I encourage people to help others to help make the world a better place. Just be prepared to be hated by those they try to help.

This is a unique human psychology phenomenon. In my culture, we have observed it for thousands of years. There is even a word to describe it in our language. English does not have a word for it so it is kinda hard for me to explain.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Well, I encourage people to help others not because they would get thanked for it and it would make them feel good. I encourage people to help others to help make the world a better place. Just be prepared to be hated by those they try to help.

This is a unique human psychology phenomenon. In my culture, we have observed it for thousands of years. There is even a word to describe it in our language. English does not have a word for it so it is kinda hard for me to explain.
The people he was trying to help were not "strays" as it was put in the earlier post. Also, if you read the actual article, this man tries to help anyone he can, NOT for accolades, but because he's one of those types that genuinely wants to help when he can.

The idiots didn't have enough money to pay for what they ordered, he stepped in to help out...they beat him down for it. That is not okay. And then the line, "Why are you talking to me?" as if they are above this person.

These 4 people and the one who went through his pockets are disgusting, and these types of people ruin any help that others might have been willing to give, but see stories like this and think, "Heck with them."

A gesture of goodwill is now considered a bad thing. This country is a mess.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The people he was trying to help were not "strays" as it was put in the earlier post. Also, if you read the actual article, this man tries to help anyone he can, NOT for accolades, but because he's one of those types that genuinely wants to help when he can.

The idiots didn't have enough money to pay for what they ordered, he stepped in to help out...they beat him down for it. That is not okay. And then the line, "Why are you talking to me?" as if they are above this person.

These 4 people and the one who went through his pockets are disgusting, and these types of people ruin any help that others might have been willing to give, but see stories like this and think, "Heck with them."

A gesture of goodwill is now considered a bad thing. This country is a mess.
And this is why I said it is hard to explain this phenomenon since westerners have yet to have this concept in your vocabulary.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying this human psychology phenomenon of people hating those who tried to help them has been observed in my culture for thousands of years and we even have a word to describe it. It seems counter-intuitive. After all, why would anyone in need hate the person that tried to help him?

I'm just saying. This is nothing new. And it is to be expected.

Added by edit.

Another example that comes to mind is the Dunning-Kruger Effect. This phenomenon has only been recently identified in western culture and named after Dunning and Kruger, the 2 researchers who discovered it. But this phenomenon has been observed in my culture for thousands of years. Again, we even have a name for it. My father taught me all of this when I was little. And his father taught him this when he was little.

I'm sure one day someone in the west will "discover" the phenomenon that those who are in need often times hate the person(s) who try to help them. Then there will be a word to describe it.

Last edited by MetroWord; 03-21-2017 at 08:40 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
They will get free meals in jail, courtesy of the taxpayer.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,232 times
Why no mention of the elephant in the room here???...Oh...that's right.....that can only be brought up when it's convenient to fit PC and special agendas.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
My "racism" prevents things like this from happening to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events