Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 AM

497 posts, read 484,452 times

Advertisements

I could never shoot my dog, suffering or not. I can't imagine going through euthanasia at the vets office either. My mom may have to put her 16 year old cat down in the near future and the thought makes me get choked up. I would like to think I would have the strength to have my dog put down if he was suffering, but I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:31 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I could never shoot my dog, suffering or not. I can't imagine going through euthanasia at the vets office either. My mom may have to put her 16 year old cat down in the near future and the thought makes me get choked up. I would like to think I would have the strength to have my dog put down if he was suffering, but I'm not so sure.
Once you see them go into a seizure while emptying their bowels you'll find that strength.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:34 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightsong View Post
Definitely more humane...
How so? My grandfather and father both shot animals that were sick or too old and in too much pain. It may not be what some people do but that doesn't mean one method is better than the other. I only saw my father shoot two different animals and they had no idea what was happening and they instantly were gone. Can't get more humane than that.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:16 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
We have become a nation of nanny state liberal wackos that think you cannot do anything without government regulation/rules/laws.
Many of us pet owners have had to deal with a sick pet and or one that has died. Many of us have dealt with putting down our pets, and disposing of their bodies as well.
To think the government is going to tell an owner of a pet they must spend hundreds of dollars to put an animal down or to "properly dispose" of them is frankly absurd.

I remember the scene from the movie "Old Yeller" where the young boy takes a rifle and puts down his own dog.

This scene from that movie accurately portrayed what was considered a normal responsibility of pet owners. Granted, you do not always need to use a firearm, yet there is nothing wrong with doing so either.

Oh thanks a lot. Yeah you didn't force me to watch, I just couldn't help it. Now I have to go to a pet shop and play with puppies to undo the damage. I know puppy mill but its the only place I can get my fix.

Why do all these kids movies end in death? WTH is wrong with the exec producers and then call them kids movies. I remember I cried about Bambi for a week.

I too am more disgusted with this clown burying the dog at the beach. YUCK! I guess no matter where its buried something will eat it eventually.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
The guy was sure wrong to bury his dog on a public beach, but I completely agree with euthanasia by bullet vs chemical euthanasia.

I am in favor of a respectful, quick death and end to suffering for animals. And I do not support poisoning the environment with the euthanasia cocktail used.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I would not recommend guns as a method of euthanasia except as an emergency or extreme case. To many mistakes can happen - for one thing, except for movies, bullets are not an effective method of killing instantly, at least with one shot. Even a bullet to the brain my miss and hit a non-vital part that may leave the poor animal alive and suffering even greater pain. One may need more than one shot, or may end up burying an animal alive that otherwise appears dead but is continuing to suffer.
In the extreme, a bullet may richochet and hurt the person firing or someone else, or over penetrate (which is the main reason it's illegal to fire weapons in an urban area).

This is the 21st century, we don't shoot animals to end there suffering anymore (except for emergencies).Go to the vet and get it done the right way.
A whole lot of boloney in your post..

And who is WE in "we don't shoot animals to end there suffering anymore (except for emergencies)"
It is done on farms & in the country all the time.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:39 PM

389 posts, read 616,777 times
We should encourage this to prevent diversion of euthanasia drugs (barbiturates). I'd hate to hear a story of a pet owner drying out their pet and smoking it, but with the way society is going...

Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
I would not recommend guns as a method of euthanasia except as an emergency or extreme case. To many mistakes can happen - for one thing, except for movies, bullets are not an effective method of killing instantly, at least with one shot. Even a bullet to the brain my miss and hit a non-vital part that may leave the poor animal alive and suffering even greater pain. One may need more than one shot, or may end up burying an animal alive that otherwise appears dead but is continuing to suffer.
In the extreme, a bullet may richochet and hurt the person firing or someone else, or over penetrate (which is the main reason it's illegal to fire weapons in an urban area).

This is the 21st century, we don't shoot animals to end there suffering anymore (except for emergencies). Go to the vet and get it done the right way.
If a person knows how to take vital signs a bullet would work. This is why the vet always checks for heartbeat and breathing before telling the person the animal is gone. Any person planning on doing their own method should know every step to prevent their pet from suffering. Burying ones pet in a public place should never be acceptable. As pet owners sometimes we tend to deal with things more on emotional level than being sensible.........only to realize later there many have been other options.

I've always been lucky to have a good vet and plenty of land to bury my own animals. Hard enough to deal with the loss, but now this owner has to deal with the charges, could there have been another choice, like the forest and a very deep hole.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:36 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:

This is the 21st century, we don't shoot animals to end there suffering anymore (except for emergencies). Go to the vet and get it done the right way.
Lots of people can't afford such a cost, and there is really no reason to do that if you don't have to. I would think that those folks that have to put down their animals themselves, know how to handle a gun.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
A whole lot of boloney in your post..

And who is WE in "we don't shoot animals to end there suffering anymore (except for emergencies)"
It is done on farms & in the country all the time.
Exactly. That poster clearly has not spent any time around a farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events