Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 09:45 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Death penalty would be appropriate
I don't agree with this! Not the same as pointing a gun and pulling the trigger. How about something that shuts off phones when in a vehicle.....how many people text and are just lucky nothing happened.

My prayers to all involved and my prayers to this young man, who will have to deal with this the rest of his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:22 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know there are about 800,000 people on this forum who will argue that they do totally safely.

My close friend's mother died in that wreck. I am so angry.
I am so sorry to hear that.Thats so sad.I wish people would stop texting and driving.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:33 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How about this? Take away his driver's license and any type of cell phone that can text for a certain amount of time. I think taking away the offenders phone might do more than anything.
Umm, no. Jail time is the biggest and best punishment for him.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
Why is it that these darn drunks and texting idiots, always kill such good people and children? We never hear about a car full of drug pushers or child molesters being killed.

Such a sad story, prayers to all the families that lost their loved ones.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:22 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Death penalty would be appropriate

Except that a death sentence can't be imposed without premeditation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
In the context of such a tragic accident, its hard to make this argument. However, I believe the social disruption that will be caused by autonomous vehicles is so great that you may regret what you wished for. I agree this is a technology that is coming and there is probably nothing that will stop it. I also think it needs to be carefully studied, carefully evaluated, and highly regulated. I don't want private companies simply calling something an "autonomous vehicle" and that vehicle automatically being allowed to utilize the highway system. I want regulation, standardization, and solid proof that the vehicles are at least 200% or 300% safer than driver-operated vehicles.
Except that there's a huge gap between the "George Jetson fantasy" and what science and technology can actually produce and bring to the market.

It's not the vehicle or the phone that kills; it's the immature fool using them. And Madison Avenue and Hollywood who sold them to him without a thought of the potential consequences.

The individual involved has shot his life -- period. But are there other examples of irresponsible and/or anti-social behavior on his record? And how many others, male and female, are doing the same thing, and getting away with it until someone really gets hurt?

And what about the police dispatcher who couldn't act on the call because another jurisdiction was involved?

Point here being -- law enforcement fails to "keep score" on a particularly abusive few at an earlier stage, and to share the records. It's too easy for a habitual offender to escape by crossing state lines. We need a national database.

Last edited by toosie; 04-01-2017 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: TOS - profanity or avoiding the filter

Old 04-01-2017, 12:27 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Umm, no. Jail time is the biggest and best punishment for him.
Unfortunately, the taxpayers pickup the costs.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
The individual involved needs to be treated "like a bug under a microscope"; if any pattern of previous irresponsible behavior or attitudes are uncovered, it should become public knowledge.

He has some company, but who remembers this incident?

Drunken driver lives in obscurity

And there remains the possibility of "homegrown justice";

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ting/22019336/

because "the system" isn't working.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:02 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Unfortunately, the taxpayers pickup the costs.
That's the price for a civilized society. What else are taxes for?

Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Except that a death sentence can't be imposed without premeditation.

Oh yes there was.

If you look at the definition of premeditation, one of the words associated with premeditation is "forethought," or consideration of what may happen in the future.

This driver KNEW the potential consequences of texting and driving. Yet, STILL texted while driving, and this caused the accident which killed innocent lives and destroyed families. How many more of these incidents are we going to tolerate before sending a strong message?

Like I said, the death penalty would be perfect in an ideal world. At the least, 20 years mandatory prison sentence with hard labor (like chain gangs from the old days).

This was no innocent 'mistake,' I repeat, NOT a mistake.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Not only that the kid was texting long enough for someone behind him to have time to follow him and call the police...so it was like one quick accidental lapse, he seemed to have been texting back and forth for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events