Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 08:35 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Bloody kid deserves a spanking. Not only did he endanger his life, he dragged his sibling into it as well. The parents should be seriously cautioned for not securing the home before nodding off. Wonder what the excuse would have been had this encounter turned tragic.
I agree that kid should get in trouble but what kind of securing would you consider to be enough. Shackle the kids to their beds when you are tired?

Our car keys were always on the counter. Never would have dawned on me at that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 AM

841 posts, read 553,505 times
Although I don't condone any of his actions, part of me is impressed with him ingenuity. I work at a college and am surrounded by students who lack any critical thinking skills or the ability to help themselves.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:46 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
8-year-old boy drives 4-year-old sister to get cheeseburger: Police | fox8.com

Wow, glad no one was hurt. Guess they really wanted their McDonald's!!
love these stories. his sister has a great big brother.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:30 PM

417 posts, read 345,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Tractors on a farm do not have to negotiate other cars, pedestrians and traffic lights. Plenty more could go wrong with a car on the street than a tractor on a farm. Bad comparison.

One local story here had a woman killed while riding on a bike when a drunk dad allowed his kid to drive them home. As cute as this story is let's not forget how dangerous this was.
Meh, I was driving farm to farm or to the feed store at that age, I had to deal with pedestrians and other cars . I also had lot's of practice behind the wheel by the time I was eight so I wasn't like the kid in this story. It was pretty dangerous since he had to practice and well it's illegal but it happens all the time in farming country.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:48 PM

100 posts, read 61,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Wow. Where are the parents? Sometimes I'm alarmed for society. If your 8 year old kid is watching enough hours of youtube to be able to learn to drive from them and also drive well, then there is a problem.
I wonder if he ever snuck out before and drove around. He was probably smart enough to know not to tell the cops. I don't what worse. That he plotted all of this or that he can't control his argues (for fast food). What's he going to do when he covets more expensive things? Watch videos on how to commit robberies when wants a pair of Jordans?

Old 04-14-2017, 12:57 PM

100 posts, read 61,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He drove standing up. Here's an article that gives more information on the incident. I'd like to see any follow-up news, if there is any. The article in the OP says police are investigating the case, I assume to determine if there was negligence or neglect on the part of the parents. My bet is that the kids never got dinner, so the boy determined to do something about that, for himself and his sister. Was there nothing in the fridge they could scrounge?
Boy, 8, Drives His 4-Year-Old Sister to McDonald's After Watching YouTube Instructional Videos
My theory is the children didn't like their dinner, because it wasn't junk food. Or the parent said, as they did in the past, if you don't like it "Make your own dinner" not knowing how calculating their son was and he said to himself "Now, I have an excuse to steal the car". Normal kids don't steal a car. Normal kids don't watch videos on how to drive a car. I'm also wondering if he had driven the car before. It seems he was too good at it for just watching videos.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Give the kid a break! He only did that because there is no In-N-Out in Ohio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
It could have been worse (or better depending upon your taste). It could have been White Castle.
But there's Five Guys and they're great.

Seriously though, this kid is getting a lot of attention. I hope with all this his parents are teaching him he did something very wrong and should never, ever do it again. Maybe at the age of eight he was capable of operating a vehicle but eight is certainly not an age in which someone is capable of using good judgment should something unexpected occur. There are dozens of scenarios that could have resulted in an entirely different ending to this story in which the parents would be facing a tragedy rather than having people talking about how "cute" it was.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:24 PM

136 posts, read 211,024 times
My son started giving me driving tips when he was in third grade. He thought he could drive because he played video games where he was driving all of the time. Friends told me it was time to start hiding the car keys so I did.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:37 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I agree that kid should get in trouble but what kind of securing would you consider to be enough. Shackle the kids to their beds when you are tired?

Our car keys were always on the counter. Never would have dawned on me at that age.
Me either.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
My son decided at age 11 to take a midnight joy ride in the family car, which was a stick shift. We found out about it when the local police knocked on our door at about 2am to let us know they had our son at the local lock-up. He had struck a parked car, among other things.

He went on to graduate from West Point, and is now a responsible 50 year old, so I've forgiven him his youthful indiscretions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events