Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Just what is it people expect the $7 an hour substitute teacher to do?

(S)he can say "Stop that"

They can say "Go to the office"

Students just ignore them. Substitutes, especially in problem schools loose control of the classroom regularly. Even the full time teachers lose control. They cannot touch the kids. They cannot flunk failing kids. The can call the parents - who do not care, or who just blame the teachers (like here). They can call the school principal for help and the principal can come to the classroom and do nothing more than the teacher can (except the principal can recommend suspension - which will make both the students involved and thir parents not care even harder).

Some schools have no discipline. The kids have never been taught any form of respect or self restraint. They are horrid schools to teach in. Teaching is all but pointless. This occurs even at the elementary school level. I am not sure why we are wasting money warehousing completely undisciplined uncaring students who refuse to learn anything. The "special" (meaning problem) student schools are not really there to teach, the kids are just serving time until they turn 16 or 18 and can drop out or graduate.

When you apply reality over theory or idealism, just what is it we are trying to accomplish with these schools?
And dont forget if we call in a law officer because the school administrators cant do anything and the officer touches a student trying to restore order the officer will be accused of all manner of infractions and likely lose his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
It's not every day one obtains a marketable skill at school. Lighten up, if this is a school for difficult kids, then hey, they are AT SCHOOL, not cutting out.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:40 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I agree with all that you posted but that still doesn't mean it should be sanctioned or go without some kind of consequence in a public school run with taxpayer dollars. Do kids hear, see and do much worse than this when out of school...definitely....but while they are in school its personnel serve as guardians and the kids are supposed to be subject to controls. That wasn't done here at least not initially.....the "inmates were running the asylum" Saying that this is "goofy fun" might apply at a house party or teen get together but turning a blind eye to it in a school setting or treating it like it's no big deal will just allow things to spin further out of control.....and if no action is taking in reponse to it, future misbehavior will be met with "well....you didn't do anything to those lapdancers" and on and on.
i agree

Old 05-16-2017, 01:41 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Snowflakes at it again.

People that age have seen and done far worse in life.

A kid any age can find such things easily online, hardly surprising that they'd think things like lap dances are goofy fun when their 'role models' and idols do such things in mainstream music videos.

Some of you would blush at the music and lyrics being pushed on young folk these days. And was that way decades ago too.
who are the snowflakes in this situation?

Old 05-22-2017, 01:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's a trade or alternative school, and it was a substitute teacher who obviously is untrained. This seems to be a voucher program thing, instead of making kids go to regular public schools.

Social media has a lot to do with these sorts of things these days. Everyone wants a video to put on the internet.

The lap dancing...I couldn't see much of it in the video. It looked like little more than the twerking thing that's popular. Miley Cyrus and such has promoted that, so kids want to do that.

But I see a general breakdown in teaching kids how to behave. Not that I behaved appropriately all the time. But at least if I didn't, I was corrected harshly and immediately! That's how kids learn how to behave.
LOL at Miley Cyrus...I get what you are saying but she has no influence here

Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
Default Same School Now Girls Fighting on Video

This school is getting famous.

Video shows fight inside Fort Myers classroom:

Video shows fight inside Fort Myers classroom - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 05-25-2017, 09:49 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Just what is it people expect the $7 an hour substitute teacher to do?

(S)he can say "Stop that"

They can say "Go to the office"

Students just ignore them. Substitutes, especially in problem schools loose control of the classroom regularly. Even the full time teachers lose control. They cannot touch the kids. They cannot flunk failing kids. The can call the parents - who do not care, or who just blame the teachers (like here). They can call the school principal for help and the principal can come to the classroom and do nothing more than the teacher can (except the principal can recommend suspension - which will make both the students involved and thir parents not care even harder).

Some schools have no discipline. The kids have never been taught any form of respect or self restraint. They are horrid schools to teach in. Teaching is all but pointless. This occurs even at the elementary school level. I am not sure why we are wasting money warehousing completely undisciplined uncaring students who refuse to learn anything. The "special" (meaning problem) student schools are not really there to teach, the kids are just serving time until they turn 16 or 18 and can drop out or graduate.

When you apply reality over theory or idealism, just what is it we are trying to accomplish with these schools?
Good point. What we need, imo, are more Joe Clarks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng3rp7uffe8

(Btw, I do respect most teachers VERY much, but problem schools need STRONG leaders who care more about the kids than they do about anything else, such as being popular with parents or staff or the district administration.)

Old 05-25-2017, 11:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This happened in my town. The school was called Alternative Learning Center or ALC and they changed their name a while ago to Lee County Success Academy. It's for kids who have been kicked out of school for bad behavior so this is not surprising. What is surprising is the substitute teacher allowing it.

Don't feel there's going to be a lot of "Success" in these kids lives at this point without some miracle. One of the kids that goes to this school (not involved in this) lives in my building. The police have been called to his mother's place at least 4 times in the year they have lived here for his behavioral issues.

It's a shame because many of these kids are the same ones that we will be reading about in the crime section of the papers in the not too distant future. Wasted young lives.
I work in a traditional high school. The district I'm in does have an alternative school. That said, unless there is a paraprofessional who is willing and able to step in, guide the sub (even a prep teacher), is in the room normally and take charge like I have done, when a sub is in the class, the inmates run the asylum. I say this as both a former student and an educator.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:18 PM

545 posts, read 594,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
And the "parents" are demanding answers...lol...
Probably a quarter of the student's mothers are employed as lap dancers to pay the bills!

Old 05-28-2017, 10:35 AM

531 posts, read 384,520 times
Im glad the kids are figuring out a good way to make money in few years. They are going to need those lapdance skills pretty soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events