Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Or not hot.

RadioShack has cleaned out its attic, and the treasures are now online to be bid on. As a lifetime tech geek I spend hours in RS stores as a kid, and many more perusing the catalogs. Hell, I still check eBay for vintage RS/Realistic stuff.

https://ubidestates.hibid.com/catalo...k-auction--1/?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Yeah, to me, the first really bad move is when they dropped the Realistic brand and got away from radios, stereo sets, etc. Then this last bankruptcy.

I still have a fair amount of Realistic speakers, radios, etc.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
I guess the only thing closest to RadioShack for small things like switches and such would be Autozone now. Especially when you need a toggle switch for your potato lamp and don't want to wait 2-4 days for a delivery tractor trailer that might eat it in the ditch.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:34 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
There are some good online outfits, RS type electronics is going to be mainly mail order from now on, it seems. Fry's for one (or if you live in a big city maybe they have a store you can get to).

Bigger items like TV, Car stereo, home stereo, Crutchfield is still my go-to outfit.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:20 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I fondly remember when Radio Shack was the place to buy stereo equipment, CB's and all sorts of electronic bits and you could even build your own computer.

The one near me closed at the end of April. I stocked up on little switches and battery boxes that I use in my model train hobby. I should have bought more because it is going to be a lousy day when I have to buy a $4 switch and then pay $5 to have it shipped.

The writing on the wall for RS was when they stripped half the merchandise out of the place and turned it into a cell phone store.

Sad to see them go. I imagine Sears can't be far behind.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:21 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Really? I thought the bad move was trying to pry their way into the cell phone market. What a catastrophe that was!

Old 06-02-2017, 04:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Really? I thought the bad move was trying to pry their way into the cell phone market. What a catastrophe that was!
This, I remember the first time I worked for them it was all about trying to sell extra batteries and accessories, like it is at most stores. Applied at one a couple years ago and pushing the cell phones was the big make it or break it skill, they had a quota of the damn things they had to sell. If you didn't sell enough you got coached repeatedly until they just let you go. I ended up passing on the job, in this day and age where just about everyone already has a cell phone, not a wise move to put all your eggs in the cell phone sales of your store. About a year later that particular store closed down.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I will miss getting those small parts and batteries that no one else carries. Here again, back to Amazon and hope it doesn't take forever to get here.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:48 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thank you Dave!!

I can list 3 things from them that I think were better than any other

1) Pro 51 Scanner (20-308) -- I think this was such a good scanner because IT WASNT MADE BY TANDY!!!

2) GMRS 15 channel radio (19-903) - No other radio did as well as this one or sounded as good.......

3) A 40 channel AM realistic CB I had in the 80s (TRC 422A (21-1503)) - That thing got hot as hell BUT IT DIDNT EVER DRIFT!!!! (Best radio I ever had)

I even hooked a TV antenna up to it one night (MATCH SKY HIGH) and I was shooting skip around the world!! (I was @ my cousins house and didnt have my base antenna there so I used that antenna instead)

Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I worked there in the 90's and managed a store briefly. We were never pushed to sell cell phones until Sprint PCS (at the time came along). Even then they offered a $15 spiff on each one sold so we sold the hell out of them. Then they took the spiff away and put everyone on some sort of PIP when they stopped selling them.

The end for me came when they took the computers out of my store and told me to sell from the catalog and then counted my sales gains and losses against the prior year when there were computers there.

There were some products we sold that were rock solid. Unfortunately there were more that were complete garbage or grossly overpriced because "we source out to major manufacturers to build to our standards". Sure bud. Come to Radio Shack and spend $399 on the exact same 4 head VCR you can get at Best Buy for $199.

Anymore my memories of working there are that I watched the OJ trial and the Clarence Thomas case there while I worked. Well that and I could close a deal in the middle of the mall smoking a cigarette with the customer.

We wont even get into trying to sell computers at the time with Deskmate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events