Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

Crazy, he spent 17 years in prison for this.

Kansas City prisoner 'blessed' to be free after lookalike found - BBC News

Quote:
Richard Anthony Jones from Kansas was released from jail after witnesses said they could not tell the two men apart.

A judge ruled there was no evidence to keep him in jail.

Mr Jones said finding a photo of the other man - who as well as looking like him, shares the same first name - was a "needle in a haystack moment".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
If there were any justice, this man would be given several million dollars for his trouble. But it appears no such award is coming.

Only 29 states offer compensation in such cases.

Our criminal justice system is slow and frustrating but the reason for that is simple: protection of the innocent is more important than punishment of the guilty.

When the system doesn't work and an innocent person is incarcerated, this is an injustice of the very worst kind.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Contrary to what most people assume, eyewitness testimony is about the least reliable evidence that can be produced, and "circumstantial" evidence is about the most reliable. (For example, if you wake up in the morning and see the ground covered with snow, but you never saw it snowing, the snow cover is circumstantial evidence that it snowed overnight.)

In my opinion, every case that involves eyewitness testimony should include expert testimony and a jury instruction on the unreliability of eyewitness testimony.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:32 AM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If there were any justice, this man would be given several million dollars for his trouble. But it appears no such award is coming.

Only 29 states offer compensation in such cases.

Our criminal justice system is slow and frustrating but the reason for that is simple: protection of the innocent is more important than punishment of the guilty.

When the system doesn't work and an innocent person is incarcerated, this is an injustice of the very worst kind.
Equally frustrating is that a man can be charged with robbery and can get 19 years in prison, but someone can get behind the wheel of a car with a BAC of two or three times the legal limit, kill someone, and get off with a year and probation.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
I've heard it said many times that everyone has a twin somewhere on the planet. I guess all we can do is hope our doubles live far enough away that this won't happen to us. I agree about convictions based only on eye witness testimony. It's not only unreliable, but can also be a case of intentional misidentification by the witness. It shouldn't be the only factor in a conviction.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:11 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times
This is why I'm against capitol punishment.

Who gets imprisoned for 17 years for robbery? Our criminal justice system needs work. This man should be awarded tax-free millions, and never have to pay another dime in taxes.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:08 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This is why I'm against capitol punishment.

Who gets imprisoned for 17 years for robbery? Our criminal justice system needs work. This man should be awarded tax-free millions, and never have to pay another dime in taxes.

I have no comment to make on the Kansas incident, but in the U.K. in 1964, 7 men were jailed for 30 years, and 4 others for 20-25 years, for the 1963 "Great Train Robbery."
In 2006, 4 people got life terms, 1 got 20 years, and 1 got 25 for the robbery of a Securitas depot in Tonbridge, Kent.
Whether the sentences were right or wrong, you'll have to ask the Crown Prosecution Service.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:08 AM

32,665 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Just because they found him a look-alike 17 years later does not mean he didn't really commit the crime. There is no reason to believe they looked like identical twins 17 years ago. There is no reason to believe that the "twin" committed the crime instead of the prisoner.

They don't look much alike now, except for the same hair style and the same beard.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:12 AM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
They look enough alike that the witnesses could not tell them apart. That's sufficient to overturn the conviction.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Without being there at the trial its impossible to know for sure what happened. This is what I would bet:

1. Indigent defendant is represented by a public defender who is trying to manage 100 or more cases and cannot devote much time to this case.

2. The jury that is picked in this case is largely white.

3. The victim testifies that he/she is absolutely certain the defendant is the perpetrator of the crime.

4. The jury fails to see the issues in such a case with eyewitness identification. They take "all or nothing" attitude towards a case like this.

5. The jury decides to believe the victim and convicts the defendant.

I put a lot of the blame in a case like this on the people who served on the jury. Juries are instructed by a judge that unless "evidence shows proof beyond a reasonable doubt, they must acquit the defendant". The problem is that is seldom what occurs. Many people who sit on juries assume that if someone is charged with a crime that they are very likely guilty of that crime.

In a case like this, I would have hoped for jurors who would have decided that an eyewitness identification like this one is insufficient to constitute proof beyond a reasonable doubt without corroborating evidence.

I do find myself hoping that some of the jurors in this case who convicted this man lose some sleep over it. I think they deserve a few sleepless nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events