Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 PM

783 posts, read 580,913 times

Advertisements

This video is absolutely nuts. A driver makes a lane change (illegal perhaps) into a lane with a motorcycle. The motorcyclist kicks the car, which, I assume startles the driver, who loses control, slams into the barrier, then slams into a pickup truck which flips over. The motorcyclist just keeps on going.

Road Rage Leads To Chain Reaction Crash Near Santa Clarita

The Youtube comments are full of people saying that the driver of the car is the one who caused the crash. I don't see how. People make bad lane changes all of the time. You generally don't try to hit them if you can avoid it. You honk your horn and slow down. And, to me, it looks like the motorcyclist could have easily avoided any contact with the car. He certainly had enough control to ride up next to the car and kick it.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,876,428 times
The driver of the car made an error. Perhaps a grievous one, but apparently an honest one.

The idiot in the cycle deliberately and maliciously escalated things, which damn near got him killed (how stupid do you have to be to spot someone driving erratically, and then approach so close that you can reach out and touch their vehicle?). Even if one doesn't care about the driver of the car, the cyclist directly caused an incident that injured the truck driver and destroyed his vehicle. The cyclist is a jackass, as well as a gutless coward who obviously fled because he knew he was culpable. And nothing says 'I'm a tough guy!' like running away...

I hope he's caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:42 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,974,944 times
To me, it looked like the guy in the car was retaliating back against the motorcyclist by trying to bump him with his car, then he lost control. Looks like some road rage on BOTH parts. Maybe not, but that's what it looks like to me.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The driver of the car made an error. Perhaps a grievous one, but apparently an honest one.

The idiot in the cycle deliberately and maliciously escalated things, which damn near got him killed (how stupid do you have to be to spot someone driving erratically, and then approach so close that you can reach out and touch their vehicle?). Even if one doesn't care about the driver of the car, the cyclist directly caused an incident that injured the truck driver and destroyed his vehicle. The cyclist is a jackass, as well as a gutless coward who obviously fled because he knew he was culpable. And nothing says 'I'm a tough guy!' like running away...

I hope he's caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

There is NO way to tell that by the video.
It very well could have easily been road rage as well, by the dude in the car.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:47 PM

6,587 posts, read 17,590,461 times
I'm leaning towards the driver of the car deliberately swerving into the motorcyclist. The person I feel most sorry for, though, is the driver of the white truck. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Crazy, too, that the force of the crash was enough to flip the truck onto its roof!

Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 PM

783 posts, read 580,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
To me, it looked like the guy in the car was retaliating back against the motorcyclist by trying to bump him with his car, then he lost control. Looks like some road rage on BOTH parts. Maybe not, but that's what it looks like to me.
But the swerving after the motorcyclist kicked the car happened so quickly, it doesn't seem to me that it was 'retaliation'. It seems like the driver got startled. In addition, at highway speeds, who would swerve like that to 'retaliate' against someone? That would be a death wish. It just doesn't make sense to me.

But at the end of the day, we can speculate as to why the driver lost control. But there is surely no speculation as to the fact that what the motorcyclist did was completely wrong.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:30 PM

939 posts, read 793,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
...A driver makes a lane change (illegal perhaps) into a lane with a motorcycle...
The Youtube comments are full of people saying that the driver of the car is the one who caused the crash. I don't see how. People make bad lane changes all of the time...
Your link doesn't mention lane changes, were there?

That dash cam video starts too late in the incident to effectively determine who started it and why, and how long it was going on for.
According to where that clip starts, it looks like the cyclist just drives up and kicks...but why?

The news link did mention that the dash cam video contained "more" pictures, were there others prior to the video?

In general, dash cams are invaluable (I want some), but in most cases only document half of the story, if there are no rear cams as well, and are connected in such a way so the owner/operator can't be able to conceal the fact that a rear one ever existed.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
But the swerving after the motorcyclist kicked the car happened so quickly, it doesn't seem to me that it was 'retaliation'. It seems like the driver got startled. In addition, at highway speeds, who would swerve like that to 'retaliate' against someone? That would be a death wish. It just doesn't make sense to me.

But at the end of the day, we can speculate as to why the driver lost control. But there is surely no speculation as to the fact that what the motorcyclist did was completely wrong.
Ok, see now you are the type of person I would want on a jury. We may not agree on the possibility of a retaliation swerve, but you are looking at things beyond the obvious and trying to figure it out. You make a good point about the swerve happening so quickly, that perhaps it does seem more of a startled swerve. And I agree with you, the motorcyclist was completely wrong.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,569,098 times
I'm of the alternate camp thinking that swerve was already planned when the guy was watching the biker approach in is mirror and he over-did it. His head doesn't move at all and cranking the wheel left when the thump is on your left is just not an autonomic response.

Biker was a total arse and regardless of his reasons as a result of anything foregoing, he was stupidly and maliciously wrong!

They'll get his number and track him down, charge him and the guy in the pick-up will later sue his aszz for everything he owns.

This is why temper and stupidity are a lethal combo.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:12 PM

18,787 posts, read 7,703,199 times
The video notes said the witness started recording when it started escalating.

When WHAT started escalating?

Were the biker and the driver going after each other before the video started?

I'd suggest that what happened during that time, tells you a lot more about "who started it and why" than the video we've seen so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events