Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 11:46 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

And without a goodbye video or note, it's much more likely that their deaths were due to more sinister motives on his part.

You may have something, there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 02:14 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So he lured her out because he wanted to kill her, and he did kill her... Why did he then kill himself?
Because that's the cowards way of avoiding prosecution and jail time.

You read about stories like this happening all the time. (Murder/suicide)

Old 10-23-2017, 07:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
They lugged an utterly useless firearm into the Joshua Tree backcountry, when for the same weight they could have had a critical extra quart of water?

Cause of Death: Cluelessness
harder to pull off a murder suicide with an extra quart of water

Old 10-23-2017, 08:08 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I don’t think I posted when this thread was first started, or at all until now.

But murder/suicide was my first & only thought. I guess it’s early in the forensic investigation & nothing is completely off the table yet. I kind of wish they would find some clue, something to hint that it wasn’t that but I know the families have waited long enough.

It’s heartbreaking for all & if I were the parent of the girl, I would deal with some major anger issues eventually that I had no one to blame. No one to hate.

I haven’t linked to the new reports yet because I’ve been on my kid’s school iPad ( it blocks me) all weekend but I felt so bad for his parents too.( I know, Momma; to you he’ll always be that sweet baby boy).

Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Plus the fact that he took a gun. Which a couple of posters have said they do, too, in case they encounter animal predators. That's a good point, but those two were college students. I've never known or heard of a college student owning a gun, unless it's at his parents' house while he's at college. But ok, the uncle says they'd been planning a group hike for a month. And if the guy were angry about having been broken up with, wouldn't he have done something about it long ago, if he were so inclined? The breakup was 2 years ago, I guess? OTOH, who plans a group hike to remote desert location for the height of the summer heat, for a friend's birthday?

Whichever way you look at it, it was two needless deaths. That's what's so frustrating and sad. Two people in the prime of their lives, with everything ahead of them.
He was a security guard. Owning the gun was a requirement of his job. One out of every five Californians owns a gun, including student's. Even if you have never heard of that.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well since even the police don't have definitive evidence either way, how is it any worse to speculate that the guy killed her out of unrequited love and not 'mercy' killing?

You either say let's hold off on any judgment either way, or don't pick any sides at all.
There is plenty of evidence, if you don't ignore the obvious. They were found with gunshot wounds, their bodies embraced under a tree, with their clothing arranged to protect their bodies from the direct sunlight. There was a gun and empty water bottles nearby. The temperature when they went missing was well over 100 degrees, and they had no water to drink. A situation which would result in a slow death for any human being.

The girl's own family have publicly stated that they believe her death was exactly what investigators have said it was, a mercy killing. If that is not enough evidence for you, then there is likely no amount of evidence that would change your mind.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There is plenty of evidence, if you don't ignore the obvious. They were found with gunshot wounds, their bodies embraced under a tree, with their clothing arranged to protect their bodies from the direct sunlight. There was a gun and empty water bottles nearby. The temperature when they went missing was well over 100 degrees, and they had no water to drink. A situation which would result in a slow death for any human being.

The girl's own family have publicly stated that they believe her death was exactly what investigators have said it was, a mercy killing. If that is not enough evidence for you, then there is likely no amount of evidence that would change your mind.
That isn't even 100% proof that it was a mercy killing. It's your interpretation. Evidence can be interpreted in many ways and my opinion isn't any more wrong than yours now, is it. You infer the investigators are 100% certain it was a mercy killing but that is not true at all. It's one of their theories.

I can certainly understand the families readily embracing the mercy killing angle since the alternative is much more sinister. But even authorities don't know when they actually died due to condition of bodies, so not sure how anyone can say for certain this was a mercy killing.

Hikers found in Joshua Tree: Man shot woman before killing himself, Sheriff’s Department says – Orange County Register

Quote:
It had been previously reported the pair was embracing when they were found Sunday. “It did appear that way, but we’ll really never know,” Bachman said on Friday.

Because of the condition of the bodies, sheriff’s officials said it would be difficult to determine exactly when the two died, whether it was soon after they were reported missing, or a few days or weeks after that.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:43 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
But murder/suicide was my first & only thought. I guess it’s early in the forensic investigation & nothing is completely off the table yet. I kind of wish they would find some clue, something to hint that it wasn’t that but I know the families have waited long enough.
Investigators are saying it was a mercy kill, so I would say they have found plenty of clues to say it wasn't murder.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:59 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Will someone please post a link to any source that says investigators are 100% certain this was a mercy killing, without any doubts?

People here keep inferring that investigators are absolutely certain it was a mercy killing.

Not true. At all.

Well time to put money where your mouth is because I have yet to read a single article where any investigator or officer said it was a mercy killing 100% case closed.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Will someone please post a link to any source that says investigators are 100% certain this was a mercy killing, without any doubts?

People here keep inferring that investigators are absolutely certain it was a mercy killing.

Not true. At all.

Well time to put money where your mouth is because I have yet to read a single article where any investigator or officer said it was a mercy killing 100% case closed.
Several articles have been posted already.

Care to post an article saying it was murder? Or do you just want to continue dragging a dead man's name through the mud without any evidence? There is nothing to suggest this was premeditated murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events