Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:58 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I'm thinking about adding hiking to my regiment because I've heard it burns fat and calories like no other exercise. I'm still curious as to what terrain is appropriate to be considered hiking terrain. I'm going a park called Fryman in Los Angeles if anyone is familiar but it's a decent sized hill and seems like a good hike if anyone wants to Google it.

Now I want to hike 2 hours per day, three times a week with a ten pound pack. But do hikers eat before or on the trail or both? I'm thinking a big French bread sandwich to carb load, hit the trail drink plenty of water, no? Perhaps oatmeal or quinoa? I just don't want to undereat or overeat and just maintain my present body fat.

Any hikers in here? Advice plz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 02:24 PM

983 posts, read 994,893 times
The best food contains both salty and sweet, you need to replace the salt you sweat out. I carry some Kind fruit and nut bars for on the trail. Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty. Have your sandwich and maybe some fresh fruit when you hike to your destination, then turn around.

Always carry the "10 essentials". You can Google them, I can't think of all of them off the bat.
If you're older and want to save your knees, purchase some trekking poles, they are a life saver.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:51 PM

Thanks! Now online it says that a 160+ lbs plus person can burn up to 500 calories hiking for one hour. That seems to good to be true. I'll be climbing a pretty large hill. Realistically how many calories do you guys think I can burn an hour? I'll be wearing a ten pound pack.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:40 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Hi guys I'm thinking about adding hiking to my regiment because I've heard it burns fat and calories like no other exercise. I'm still curious as to what terrain is appropriate to be considered hiking terrain. I'm going a park called Fryman in Los Angeles if anyone is familiar but it's a decent sized hill and seems like a good hike if anyone wants to Google it.

Now I want to hike 2 hours per day, three times a week with a ten pound pack. But do hikers eat before or on the trail or both? I'm thinking a big French bread sandwich to carb load, hit the trail drink plenty of water, no? Perhaps oatmeal or quinoa? I just don't want to undereat or overeat and just maintain my present body fat.

Any hikers in here? Advice plz
You posted in the Exercise and Fitness Forum. You might have better luck in the http://www.city-data.com/forum/travel/ forum.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:19 AM

983 posts, read 994,893 times
The OP is looking at hiking as exercise/fitness.

OP, you don't want to overload on carbs, they are burned up too quick. You want slow-burning calories that will stay with you. You don't want to "bonk" on the way to the car because you've eaten nothing but carbs.

This is what I read once:
Simple carbs are like tissue paper thrown on a fire, poof, they're gone in an instant.
Complex carbs are like putting kindling on a fire, they will last a little bit longer, but soon die out.
Fats are like putting a big, fat log on a fire. They burn slow, and last a long time.

I don't know exactly how many calories you can burn hiking, terrain, your speed, temperature can also factor in. It is the best exercise because your under load, and hiking on uneven terrain.

Oh, always check the weather before heading out.

Last edited by IheartWA; 10-15-2016 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 09:20 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
It's only 2 hours, OP. Why would you need to eat? Just take water. Eating just before or during the hike would defeat the purpose of weight loss, if that's what you're trying to do. Unless you go right after a regularly-scheduled meal, like right after lunch. I've never eaten anything on a 2-hr. hike. That's an odd concept. The "trail mix" concoctions that are out there are for long-distance hikes; all-day hikes or all-week hikes, long-distance hiking. You're getting a little carried away. It's just a 2-hr. jaunt; you'll be ok without any food at all. You may be ready for a snack when you get home, though.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-15-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 09:42 AM

Ah ok, I figured it'd be too much to eat on a simple two hour hike. It's just my biggest problem when I work out is undereating. I always end up eating too few calories. Plus all the figures I've found online put hiking at burining 500 calories per hour. Hiking two would put me at 1000 calories. That seems excessive and I'm not sure if that's accurate. I'll be hiking up a hill, I weigh 185-190 lbs and carrying a ten pound pack. I want to make sure I'm not doing the same mistake and not eating properly for high calorie burning exercises.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
I think you may be over thinking this. Hiking for a few hours is not that big of a deal not unless you are going uphill on a steep grade the entire time. Even then its not something that needs to be overthought. Just bring a banana, a few nuts, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, etc.. All packable food that will give you energy. There is no way you can accurately predict calorie burn while hiking. There are so many factors that come into play it is sort of pointless. Hike for hiking sake. Enjoy the outdoors, the views, the flora and fauna. Micromanaging a hike sounds like a terrible idea.
Just eat some complex carbs, some protein, and a little fat. Bring water with you. I used to hike all the time, and a lot of times I would combine running with it. My routes always had steep grades. I used to do a 5 mile hike/run a few times a week. I never thought about eating or water. I just went.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:06 AM

You're right I don't want to overthink this but I am doing this to shed some fat. I mean does hiking at least beat power walking in the streets? I cannot for the life of me jog on a treadmill. I'm not hiking on a park trail but going up a big hill in Los Angeles called Fryman Canyon. It's pretty big but I wouldn't say worthy of overthinking it.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:15 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
We're not knocking hiking--it's great exercise, and usually has a scenic component. It gets you out in nature. I don't know about the calorie burn; it does seem like your info sources are exaggerating. If you take a banana and a PB&J sandwich, you'll likely gain weight and fat instead of losing it; carbs build fat. If you think you may need a snack (I can't imagine it), take a protein bar, or some cheese.

Instead of thinking about food, think about the experience; you should be losing yourself in nature, enjoying the sun and fresh air, views, etc., like a walking meditation. Food will be the last thing on your mind. In fact, you should be focused more on making sure you have comfortable shoes.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-15-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness