Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
They got lost maybe? You are aware that Joshua Tree is basically all badlands? That's why people hike there.
There was information posted earlier in the thread, saying that people living nearby would go running there before work a few times a week, so it can't be too difficult terrain, IF you stay on the trail.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-27-2018 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Death of hikers in Joshua Tree was 'sympathetic murder-suicide,' uncle says

The Sheriff's Department has never disputed that statement.
They haven't affirmed it, either. The family is believing what they need to believe, in order to cope. Law enforcement is keeping the matter open, not ruling out either possibility. That's what objectivity is about.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:26 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They haven't affirmed it, either. The family is believing what they need to believe, in order to cope. Law enforcement is keeping the matter open, not ruling out either possibility. That's what objectivity is about.
Yes, but then what about *her* family? Their daughter was shot to death. If blame could be affixed somewhere surely somebody among all her family and friends would have likely wanted to be able to do so. In all this time if there had been even the vaguest hint in any way that he might have wanted to hurt her, or even that he had been pining for her, isn't it likely somebody would have mentioned it? Wouldn't any suspicion at all have been mentioned? Like other comments from friends and his family had been mentioned?

Old 06-27-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I do realize there are people who have mercy killed someone - it often seems to happen with elderly couples when one is in horrible pain.

What I'm asking you is, have you ever heard of a case of a murder suicide when the situation is like this - when at any moment, literally, rescue could arrive?

"Entwined" is the term I was seeing in articles. And I do know that in cases of tragedy, couples often die embraced, or a mother and child, etc.

But not in cases where one doesn't want to be in a relationship and the other does.
That's the thing. They were only out there a partial day, before he shot them both. Hikers have been lost there before, even in the summer, lasted the night (when it cools off), and survived until searchers came the next day. This info is earlier in the thread, too. I don't recall if anyone's survived longer than 24 hours or 36 hours. Granted, in this case, the weather was unusually hot, even for that location. But it just seems that desperation set in way too soon, plus the decision to wander off the trail into unusual terrain was odd, too. He had no drugs in his system, so he, at least, was thinking straight. Or as straight as anyone could be thinking, in that extreme heat.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes, but then what about *her* family? Their daughter was shot to death. If blame could be affixed somewhere surely somebody among all her family and friends would have likely wanted to be able to do so. In all this time if there had been even the vaguest hint in any way that he might have wanted to hurt her, or even that he had been pining for her, isn't it likely somebody would have mentioned it? Wouldn't any suspicion at all have been mentioned? Like other comments from friends and his family had been mentioned?
I'm wondering why no one in either family ever asked either of them, "Isn't it awfully hot to go hiking out there right now?" But they said they were leaving early in the morning, to go out there when it was cooler. Or "less hot" in any case. Given that, how could they possibly have gotten so lost, that they were out there through mid-day, and into the heat of the afternoon? It's not that long a trail.

Anyway, we're just going in circles, now, rehashing the same arguments from earlier in the thread. This was my last hope for some info clarifying what happened, but we'll never know what really happened, now.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
That's the thing. They were only out there a partial day, before he shot them both. Hikers have been lost there before, even in the summer, lasted the night (when it cools off), and survived until searchers came the next day. This info is earlier in the thread, too. I don't recall if anyone's survived longer than 24 hours or 36 hours. Granted, in this case, the weather was unusually hot, even for that location. But it just seems that desperation set in way too soon, plus the decision to wander off the trail into unusual terrain was odd, too. He had no drugs in his system, so he, at least, was thinking straight. Or as straight as anyone could be thinking, in that extreme heat.
Only a day? Then link I read from this thread said investigators didn't know how long it had been and that they appeared to have been rationing food. After just a day? And that they ran out of water...are you sure he killed her within a day?

Old 06-27-2018, 07:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
What an odd thing to say, Sunday.
Feeling sorry is odd? Okay...

Quote:
And I don't think you have to stretch it that much - at all - to read between the lines that he's saying he wanted to be with her but was willing to take a long approach and not an aggressive one.
But you do have to stretch it a lot, because everything you are saying is completely made up. No one ever said anything about him wanting to take a "long approach and not an aggressive one." This is all information that you are coming up with on your own.

Quote:
But anyway, wow that got ugly in a hurry, outta nowhere. :-/

Yes, there are some pretty ugly theories on this thread. Coming up with conspiracy theories about this guy being a revengeful ex boyfriend, when all evidence points to the complete opposite. Some pretty ugly stuff indeed.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Only a day? Then link I read from this thread said investigators didn't know how long it had been and that they appeared to have been rationing food. After just a day? And that they ran out of water...are you sure he killed her within a day?
That's my recollection from before. I had the impression that a) they didn't bring much of a water supply at all, and b) they consumed their snacks in one day. I gathered that the "rationing" took place throughout the afternoon. I could be wrong, I suppose.

There was a "ping" from one of their cell phones in the afternoon. That was taken to be an indication that by afternoon, they were in distress.

The latest article said the were all of 1/2 hr. away from their parked car, when they wandered off the trail.

It's all so strange. Nothing seems to add up.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
I'm wondering why no one in either family ever asked either of them, "Isn't it awfully hot to go hiking out there right now?" But they said they were leaving early in the morning, to go out there when it was cooler. Or "less hot" in any case. Given that, how could they possibly have gotten so lost, that they were out there through mid-day, and into the heat of the afternoon? It's not that long a trail.

Anyway, we're just going in circles, now, rehashing the same arguments from earlier in the thread. This was my last hope for some info clarifying what happened, but we'll never know what really happened, now.
I agree, we're now just going in circles. This case is going to remain a mystery.

It's interesting how quickly the Bed and Breakfast owner raised an alarm, and it's interesting how far they were from the trail.

Also curious that Law Enforcement states it appeared they were "rationing food". I would think they might have brought a couple granola bars and a snack sack of grapes at the most. It was intended to be a morning hike. I'm trying to imagine what evidence there might be that they were "rationing food".

Anyway, very sad case, and I agree with you that there's really no way to know what happened.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I agree, we're now just going in circles. This case is going to remain a mystery.

It's interesting how quickly the Bed and Breakfast owner raised an alarm, and it's interesting how far they were from the trail.

Also curious that Law Enforcement states it appeared they were "rationing food". I would think they might have brought a couple granola bars at the most. It was intended to be a morning hike. I'm trying to imagine what evidence there might be that they were "rationing food".

Anyway, very sad case, and I agree with you that there's really no way to know what happened.
Yes, rationing food and being out of water, plus being off the trail are part of what make me think they had to have been in a desperate situation for more than a day. Obviously, if you're planning on hiking for a day, you being food for a day. You don't expect to run into a Starbucks on the trail.

I was reading an article from a man who says he hikes JT regularly and that it is easy to accidentally veer off the trails as they are not clearly marked. It's sand and low brush.

I have not hiked it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events