Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
A dead baby (or body for that matter) in a hot car will smell. It will smell A LOT. The very first thing that a body does upon death is to defecate and urinate—so unless she's really, really used to the smell, she would notice.
Babies pee and poop anyways. Anyways, that's a myth I was told in college.

I think I would need some proof that the body would be letting off a terrible smell that quickly. I don't believe it to be true based on my experiences with animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 02:53 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
You know what? Let's forget about car safety. Get rid of seat belts and airbags. While we are at it, let's go back to the days when children sat on their parent's lap in the car. Sound o.k. for you?
A person stupid enough to forget about the living human being in their backseat is too stupid to drive on public roads anyway. If a person is negligent enough to just space off where their child or grandchild is, how can anyone trust that same person to drive a vehicle safely? I say we give these morons a lifetime revocation of their driver's license even if no other criminal charges are filed against them and I guarantee they will pay more attention to what they are doing. Problem solved without a new mandate from the government or forcing everyone to pay to idiot proof their lives.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:07 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Babies pee and poop anyways. Anyways, that's a myth I was told in college.

I think I would need some proof that the body would be letting off a terrible smell that quickly. I don't believe it to be true based on my experiences with animals.
No, it is not a myth. As any nurse, mortician or anyone else who has to prepare a dead body will tell you, the anus is packed or some other means to catch what comes out.

What A Forensic Scientist Doesn

Old 08-07-2017, 04:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Not all do it on purpose, I say develop and put some sort of motion or pulse detector/seat alert in cars that prevents and/or alerts that there is a living- breathing organism still inside...child, animal.
It gives a unique beep when something with a heartbeat is still inside. Press the key fob again after checking inside, the car is now safely locked.

How about an audio alert like we used to have..."Your lights are on"?

"You locked you car with someone still in it"!

This would alert preoccupied drivers and potential witnesses that they were warned.

If somebody forgets, they are given a reminder, if they mess up, they are given a drug and alcohol test, check their bank accounts (or lack thereof), and their fidelity...saying goodbye to the past (kid) and starting anew with someone else and a potential new child.

No one is supposed to go on "cruise control" when a kid is involved.
There are some. One was devised by some kids who were taking classes about the recent tech. Their idea would be as the temp got near danger, the horns would honk, and other noises and the door would open. It was done as a science project linking this to sensors in the car and the presense of a child. It could even open the doors and allow cooler air if it became too hot.

I wonder when one of them will be good enough to sell.

Many also detect motion and a heart beat, meaning any pets will also be detected. I wonder how many have perished while the perfect design is being created.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:08 PM

939 posts, read 788,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
You know what? Let's forget about car safety. Get rid of seat belts and airbags. While we are at it, let's go back to the days when children sat on their parent's lap in the car. Sound o.k. for you?
Why not let them sit on your lap between you and the steering wheel whilst navigating the deadly weapon with one hand, as you let it droop over the driver's door, dangling halfway out the window like some do with their "Service?" dogs?

Regarding leaving kids to bake in the oven of a vehicle, mistake or not, as part of their sentence, why not make it mandatory that the adult has to give lots of community service helping kids and babies the same age as their former kid(s)?

If it were truly a non-malice act of poor judgement or forgetfulness and they have a strong conscience, they will probably volunteer to do more than their share of retribution and actually cherish it as a gift, rather than a punishment, and would probably want to devote the rest of their lives trying to pay-up for it somehow, forgiving them at the end of service or their lives may be just as sever as not letting them pay-up in the first place.

However, If there was some sort of beyond a shadow of a doubt premeditated ulterior motive; start a new life, kid too much work, makes me look and/or sound older...(Mommy/Daddy), they should also be involved with the same aged group giving lots of community service helping kids and babies the same age as their former kid(s), only as a punishment instead...

Judge: "You thought you were taking the easy way out by eliminating your duties to your own flesh and blood did-ja', well now you have to give the same kind of unselfish care they deserved and should have gotten, to stranger's kids instead...smart planning was it on your part?".

"Before I forget, make sure to be there to share the experience of everyone else's kid say their first word, loose their first tooth, and oh, their first day of school can be absolutely priceless".

And BTW...the only selfies allowed though would be those of standing next to other’s kid(s) you’ve finally been sacrificing for, yet, always seem to be completely out of your camera's range and never-ever in the picture, even though you may or may not be holding hands!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Why doesn't this happen often in the winter? Usually in the heat of the summer? Is that weird to anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe it does happen in the winter, but since the baby is warm and dry in the car and the parent is mortified, we don't hear about it.
I have also wondered about the locked in the summer heat of the car syndrome and wondered why it doesn't happen in the winter as much.

Not saying that it hasn’t, but it seems to me if it happened in the winter w/o incident, one of the local or national news programs would scoop it up and use it as their obligatory "Closing on a happy note" final segment.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I wonder why it doesn't happen in winter too but maybe it does.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon to blame the grandmother. If the baby was only four months old, obviously she's not used to this. Maybe it was even her first day of this. And she's been going to work without a baby for many more years than some adults have even lived. This is new to her.

Add in, she has custody for some reason, probably some distracting, upsetting reason like the parents are drug addicts. Maybe she was very upset, distracted, not in the habit of taking an infant to daycare. She's going to feel horrible so why punish her?

There have been other instances--it happens when it was not part of the person's normal routine. That guy who went to work and left the kid in the car and came out to find the kid dead--he didn't usually take the kid to daycare, it was out of his routine and his usual habit was just to go to work.

There was another one about a family and they went into their apartment before one of the kids said, "Hey, where's X?"
Turned out little X was still strapped into his carseat and in the confusion of bringing in groceries, and whatever else, they forgot about him.

Somebody needs to invent something. If the kid were in the front seat in a car seat, it would be impossible to miss but turned around backwards and stuck in the back seat, not no much. People are not perfect and no matter how they try, there are a lot of distractions in our busy lives. These people must feel horrible and will feel horrible for the rest of their lives.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:56 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
BF and I talked about this last time we saw a headline like this, which wasn't too long ago, unfortunately. It seems like it could be a simple solution, at least to us. Some company can make millions, but more importantly, save innocent lives.

It would be something like this...Have a sensor you can place in any car seat, so when any weight is placed on the sensor it knows there is someone, or even something (groceries, a pet, your purse). This sensor can be synced with your cars keys, so when you try to lock your car with the remote, it will not lock it, but instead, give you an alarm sound. In order to get your car locked with this weight sensor on, you would have to push a combination of buttons to by-pass the alarm. One would knowingly have to push this combination to lock the car.

There would be no fool-proof, 100% way to prevent such a tragedy, but this could help, and if it helped one child, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Something along these lines should be an easy thing to do, I would think. I'm sure with a think tank of many, some type of solution could be found.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:35 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
A person stupid enough to forget about the living human being in their backseat is too stupid to drive on public roads anyway. If a person is negligent enough to just space off where their child or grandchild is, how can anyone trust that same person to drive a vehicle safely? I say we give these morons a lifetime revocation of their driver's license even if no other criminal charges are filed against them and I guarantee they will pay more attention to what they are doing. Problem solved without a new mandate from the government or forcing everyone to pay to idiot proof their lives.

Exactly. Especially the last sentence.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wonder why it doesn't happen in winter too but maybe it does.
Because it doesn't get really hot in a car when its cold out. And most of the country is coldish in winter. I read 60F is kind of the cut off point for heat stroke deaths in cars (and those are parked in the sun with no windows open and take much longer). I doubt people call the police on themselves if they did this and the baby was fine. Nor would it make the news.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:40 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Because it doesn't get really hot in a car when its cold out. And most of the country is coldish in winter. I read 60F is kind of the cut off point for heat stroke deaths in cars (and those are parked in the sun with no windows open and take much longer). I doubt people call the police on themselves if they did this and the baby was fine. Nor would it make the news.
Plenty of news stories of kids left in the car during winter. They usually don't pass away. All you have to do is google kid left in car during winter news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events