Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 AM

78,550 posts, read 60,749,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
California's basis for the decision to list glyphosate on its cancer causing chemical list was the International Agency for Research on Cancer's (a branch of W.H.O.) determination that glyphosate was a probable carcinogen.

Monsato, the very definition of an arrogant, unethical corporation from the top down. And I'm hardly some 'loony green environmentalist' or tree hugger. I call it things like it is, regardless.

Leaked email reveals dietitian's murky relationship with Monsato

Patients: Roundup gave us cancer as EPA official helped the company

EPA Official Accused of Helping Monsanto ‘Kill’ Cancer Study

Monsanto Was Its Own Ghostwriter for Some Safety Reviews

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/...a-cause-cancer

You call me a straw man, whatever that means in this case, yet you boldly claim that glyphosate is neither toxic nor cancer causing.

Interesting assertion, considering that I've posted links showing over 200 lawsuits against Monsato in regards to diseases like non-hodgkin's lymphoma (800 cases in total). And links showing that Monsato manipulated information and acted unethically to thwart these reports.

What are your links that assert that glyphosate, particularly glyphosate found in RoundUp, does NOT cause any form of cancer, ever? Again, Monsato's evidence that glyphosate does not cause cancer is based on shady tactics such as ghostwriting its own reports and colluding with the EPA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glypho...tion_positions

1) There are 5-6 government positions on the substance. They range from not likely cancerous to probably cancerous with California translating it to is cancerous without what appears to be any additional research.

2) Citing lawsuits of a hugely deep pocket corporation as proof of it being cancer causing is not proof. Point in case autism vaccination lawsuits. Accusation <> proof and they are of course as financially motivated as Monsanto so frankly it really weakens the case you are trying to make.

3) You straw manned me by commenting that some people think it's as safe as water.

4) I trust nothing Monsanto says on the matter as they are of coursed biased and will naturally try to influence things in their favor...which is not unexpected.

So, what we have here are a number of conflicting studies from fairly reputable organizations (not Monsanto funded studies) but interestingly enough none of them are conclusively carcinogens like they are for a host of other pesticides and chemicals. The worst case is *probably* and others are at the other end of the spectrum.

So, let me change my opinion at this point to "inconclusive".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:42 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,318,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Ben & Jerry's is indeed not organic, nor does it claim to be. They just claim to use milk from cows that were not given growth hormones.
And they try to source their cream from Vermont cows as much as possible. And they take an active role in buying from dairy farms that are managed to their liking. (Humane treatment of cows, farm standards, etc)

Old 08-15-2017, 10:45 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
Don't buy B&J if this is truth. These guys are "supposedly" health nuts but who knows. I haven't purchased ice cream of any kind for months and if I ever do, it will be a pint from health food store. I've not had it in my life and honestly don't miss it now.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,540,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
And they try to source their cream from Vermont cows as much as possible. And they take an active role in buying from dairy farms that are managed to their liking. (Humane treatment of cows, farm standards, etc)
That is all in the past now. Does the company still do that?

Old 08-15-2017, 11:30 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,878,724 times
Quote:
Some of us kind-a like the 16 oz single serving containers.

I'm 59. At this point in my life, I've been exposed to so much Monsanto and Bayer miracle agriculture chemistry that I'm not going to sweat a trace amount of Round Up. My dad was a dentist. As a child, we used to play with the mercury. I grew up in a place where a power transformer factory caused massive PCB contamination with the seafood that nobody knew about for decades. Somehow, I doubt Round Up is going to be the root cause of my demise.
You know after reading that, I'm certain I'm lucky to have made it this far too. In fact, I might start smoking again. I actually enjoyed that!

Old 08-15-2017, 12:56 PM

24,565 posts, read 18,318,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That is all in the past now. Does the company still do that?
No. It's current. Ben & Jerry's buys Vermont-origin dairy products and is really active in inspecting and certifying the dairy farm co-ops they buy from. Much of rural Vermont is a pretty poor place so there were a lot of dairy farms that were pretty sketchy. Cabot and Ben & Jerry's have a huge amount of clout with the dairy farms since they're the dominant buyers. You're only as good as your brand with that kind of product. Cabot is a bit funky since it's a New England dairy co-op called Agri-Mark rather than a huge multinational corporation.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:05 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,540,869 times
Quote:
No. It's current<> Cabot is a bit funky since it's a New England dairy co-op called Agri-Mark rather than a huge multinational corporation.
Interesting. You can learn stuff here.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times
Quote:
Some of us kind-a like the 16 oz single serving containers.

I'm 59. At this point in my life, I've been exposed to so much Monsanto and Bayer miracle agriculture chemistry that I'm not going to sweat a trace amount of Round Up. My dad was a dentist. As a child, we used to play with the mercury. I grew up in a place where a power transformer factory caused massive PCB contamination with the seafood that nobody knew about for decades. Somehow, I doubt Round Up is going to be the root cause of my demise.
See you'll probably die of something interesting! All of a sudden a third eyeball that glows will grow out of your left arm and eat you or something. Sure beats well he lived to be 152, but was bedridden for 75 of those years and only ate Jello.

Hey have all the pints of ice cream you want! You deserve it! That's how I look at life.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Don't buy B&J if this is truth. These guys are "supposedly" health nuts but who knows. I haven't purchased ice cream of any kind for months and if I ever do, it will be a pint from health food store. I've not had it in my life and honestly don't miss it now.
Neither Ben nor Jerry own the company....haven't in 17 years. Don't know how much of a health nut I'd call either one....ever see what they look like? I mean they did create an ice cream company not a carrot stick snack company.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:44 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,514,363 times
Ice cream, at least the high fat really yummy stuff, is not health food. Additionally, non-GMO does not mean organic. Humans have been messing with the genes of plant and animal life since the beginning of agriculture, over 10,000 years ago. It was in the early 1900s when scientists discovered DNA, over the next century they discovered ways to directly alter it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events