Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

It is wise to sit down with a customer service representative to conduct any unusual business, rather than walking up to a teller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is wise to sit down with a customer service representative to conduct any unusual business, rather than walking up to a teller.
I doubt that would have made a difference in this case. I sold my house last year and deposited a much larger check than his. I handed the check to the teller, she simply deposisted the check, explained that their would be holds on some of the funds and I was out the door in less than five minutes.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:11 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I doubt that would have made a difference in this case. I sold my house last year and deposited a much larger check than his. I handed the check to the teller, she simply deposisted the check, explained that their would be holds on some of the funds and I was out the door in less than five minutes.

Similar scenario here after selling my first home. I took my check to the bank, handed it to a teller, and I was on my way in 5 minutes. Teller didn't even bat an eye.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:14 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So then you call the other bank, says my banker wife.

According to her, a conservative white lady, this whole thing was ridiculously mishandled.

And she has no idea why cops were involved, least of all to verify the check. You just effin (her words, not mine) call the other bank.
The police weren't called to verify the check, the bank called the police because they believed the check was possible forgery. Sometimes the other bank doesn't answer or won't verify information but that's side bar. None of us know if any attempt was made to call the other bank

Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Whatever the check's appearance, the fact that it ultimately did verify means it wasn't fraudulent, and detaining this man, and his family for hours at a police station, and contacting his son's school, was beyond acceptable.

It doesn't mean the suspension of fraud was wrong however that's really why you'd need to see the check to see if the visual aspect can any reason to doubt the validity of the item

You really have to breakdown the issues instead of lumping them together, should they have been detained or arrested? Probably not but once that occurred making a call to the school depending on the time of day might be appropriate if the parents weren't going to be around to take care of the kid at school. It's certainly a mess nevertheless

Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
They arrested his wife and kids too? Christ! This is so bad, totally unacceptable. There are ways of verifying the validity of a transaction, including holding the check for a number of days without having to embarrass this law abiding tax payer and his family.

I mean it couldn't have been a personal check for goodness sakes... Horrible. SMH
Having brown skin and a foreign name is considered probable cause for an arrest in Real America.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You can ask where the money is coming from for any deposit I believe. Knowing your customer and making sure as the financial institution you make best efforts to know source of your customer funds is something the govt expects you to do

Actually that's false! If it's a check it states on the check who it's being drawn from and IT IS a privacy issue to ask anything further in regards to where it came from and why. A check has a paper trail as to where the funds came from so it's no secret for the bank and easily trackable. Furthermore, most (actually all) banks will verify funds on a check. If for some reason a bank can not verify funds and they believe there is an issue with the check they can put an extended hold on it while it goes through processing to verify further or the bank has the right to refuse the check all together. A bank can also refuse the right to give any cash back on a check deposit until it goes through processing. This eliminates most fraud.

A cash deposit is different and federal regulations allow and require for a teller/banker to ask where the funds came from over a certain dollar amount as there is no proof of where it came from like a check. They can also ask if they are suspicious. Some cash deposits also require a form to be filled out.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...-of-over-10000

Last edited by CGab; 09-14-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Actually that's false! If it's a check it states on the check who it's being drawn from and IT IS a privacy issue to ask anything further in the regards of where the funds came from and why. A check can be placed on hold as it's being investigated. Furthermore, most (actually all) banks will verify funds on a check. If for some reason a bank can not verify funds and they believe there is an issue with the check they can put an extended hold on it while it goes through processing to verify further or the bank has the right to refuse the check all together.

A cash deposit is different and federal regulations allow for a teller/banker to ask where the funds came from over a certain dollar amount especially if they are suspicious. Some cash deposits also require a form to be filled out.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...-of-over-10000
Please show me the privacy law that prevents a financial institution from asking the source of funds of a deposit or where the money is coming from.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The police weren't called to verify the check, the bank called the police because they believed the check was possible forgery. Sometimes the other bank doesn't answer or won't verify information but that's side bar. None of us know if any attempt was made to call the other bank
That's why the bank receiving the deposit puts a hold on the funds. So that they can verify the check. And, again, the check did get verified, that day. In the meantime, a family was detained in a jail cell. Completely uncalled for.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's why the bank receiving the deposit puts a hold on the funds. So that they can verify the check. And, again, the check did get verified, that day. In the meantime, a family was detained in a jail cell. Completely uncalled for.
If the bank believes the check could be fraud or forgery the process isn't deposit it and see, you don't deposit something you believe could be fraudulent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events