Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,775,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Typically, if are in the company of one who is commiting a felony, you are considered an accomplice to the felony. Not saying it is appropriate in this case.
They were in the car not in the bank. If he had taken a bus to the bank would they have arrested all the people on the bus with him? And he was not committing a felony.

But let's pretend he was trying to pass a bad check. His child was in the car while he was committing he crime. She wasn't with him, she wasn't committing the crime. That would be like arresting children because their parents are criminals. Enough of this apologist nonsense. This is America and children should not be arrested simply because of their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 04:20 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,762,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Yes I have worked in a bank and I didn't say interrogate but you can ask the source if the funds. With your past tense comment you clearly haven't been in the business for some time. Anti money laundering, KYC, patriot act have all changed the business. You saying a bank doesn't care where the funds came from is not accurate
I'm assuming you were not management. A bank does not need to know the source of funds to deposit a check. Period! Cash yes, check no. And this was proceeds from a sale of a house. I could be wrong, but it was probably a check from a title company and not a hand written check.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,953,178 times
It reads like heavy handed and not very competent policing.

I can understand the bank calling the police if they suspect fraud. However, this person said that he had the documentation supporting the check and that the police didn't look at that. And why also arrest the wife and daughter?

The police might be able to prove probable cause in the case of the husband although the fact that the check was subsequently verified might be a problem for them. It could be argued that they did not due sufficient investigation before arresting the family and that the police jumped to conclusions without sufficient evidence.

Establishing probable cause will be much harder for the wife and even more so for the daughter.

I suspect that the taxpayers of Wichita will be paying out a fairly substantial settlement on this one.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
The police weren't called to verify the check, the bank called the police because they believed the check was possible forgery. Sometimes the other bank doesn't answer or won't verify information but that's side bar. None of us know if any attempt was made to call the other bank
Read the article.
The police tried to verify and mention is made of their "resources."
The police ultimately verified it.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm assuming you were not management. A bank does not need to know the source of funds to deposit a check. Period! Cash yes, check no. And this was proceeds from a sale of a house. I could be wrong, but it was probably a check from a title company and not a hand written check.
You'd be incorrect I was and am in management and the source of funds is very important . You are clearly clueless of the last decade of banking business

Old 09-14-2017, 07:51 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Read the article.
The police tried to verify and mention is made of their "resources."
The police ultimately verified it.
And that does nothing to respond to my post so I'm unclear what your point is

Old 09-14-2017, 08:07 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,762,486 times
Quote:
You'd be incorrect I was and am in management and the source of funds is very important . You are clearly clueless of the last decade of banking business
I'm not clueless and I'm sure I have much more experience than you. It's obvious. Honestly don't care. I also didn't say that the source of funds is not important; however, while depositing a check that was clearly from a title company there was no need to get the police involved in the first place. All the manager had to do was pick up a phone and verify the check. At any rate, this thread is not titled "I know more about banking regulations than you", it's about a family who was clearly racially profiled by a bank and a police officer.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,305,285 times
Good thing is that all these stupid actions by the institutions result in decent settlement. I hope he finds some good conservative lawyer in Kansas who can can assist the Iraqi in getting his pay day doubled or so. Not bad lift I would say....

Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Friend, you're boot-licking. A check can literally be written on used toilet paper & still be valid. Bankers ought to know that & further, the best "looking" checks are the fake ones.

Sell a car on Craigslist for $1000 more than your asking price & you'll get *beautiful* (fake) checks, complete with water marks, gold seals & thumb-prints & even the president's picture on the face of the check.

There's one way to verify a check, deposit it & wait for it to clear. That's why we allow holds. Call the police after you've confirmed that a check is bogus, not before.

The police in this case are completely unrepentant- they held a family for hours without reasonable suspicion or probable cause. That's wrong.
The bank was also unrepentant. In the 2nd linked article, it said everything was according to its procedures, and if a similar situation were to arise, the bank would follow the same procedures.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,928,920 times
The only thing that could have made this banking deposit story worse would have been if the police shot and killed someone while at the bank. All the poor guy wanted to do was deposit a check to an account. Seems the bank overacted as well the police department in Wichita KS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events