Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:24 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,662,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HAH! What a laugh! Free shipping, usually? Did you notice that Amazon raised the cost of its shipping a year or so ago? It made nationwide headlines. That's one way they make their money. And I've never received any online order, no matter from whom, in a couple of days. A week is more like it; for Amazon, it's often closer to 10 days.
I almost always get my Amazon stuff within 24-72 hours. Some days, I've gotten it later in the day. (THAT was weird!) The stuff I order from Amazon partners tends to take a little longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Kids just don't buy toys anymore when they are glued to smartphones and tablets.

Then you have discount stores like Walmart or Target that discount toys heavily during the holidays. I went to Toys R Us every year during holiday and there's never any good deals and I ended up buying online or go to Target with better discount.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,853 times
I could have sworn that Toys R Us did this once before, as I sent my grandchild a gift card & told her folks to spend it right away.

Didn't know about FAO Schwarz...had a lot of fun in the original NYC store, years ago...sad.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:44 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
Toys R Us has always been overpriced. And toys are SO expensive now! I didn't even realize how costly they are now until recently.

Also, I remember my parents never wanted to take us there. Why walk us through a store of every single item that we could ever possibly want only to tell us that we weren't getting anything?

I would imagine it's the same for a lot of parents. Yeah, you're at Walmart grocery shopping, so you might end up on the toy aisle, and you might end up buying a toy for your kid. Maybe. If not, then you say, "Hey, we can't get that today. We came here for groceries. I thought you just wanted to look!"

But if you take your kids into a freaking superstore of **** that they want, of course they're going to want. And who can afford all of that?

Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Typcially all my amazon stuff comes in two days or less unless i specifically ask for longer time. Most other places I order from are 2-3 days as well, a week to 10 days is really rare for me
Unless you are a prime member, Amazon's free shipping (on purchases above $40, I believe?) takes about a week and a half. That is why now I will search for something on Amazon to read reviews and check the price, then go over and order it from WalMart or Target online if the price matches (which it often does) because their shipping is free two day shipping.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Kids just don't buy toys anymore when they are glued to smartphones and tablets.

Then you have discount stores like Walmart or Target that discount toys heavily during the holidays. I went to Toys R Us every year during holiday and there's never any good deals and I ended up buying online or go to Target with better discount.
Plus brick and mortar stores have the retail theft issue where Amazon doesn't!

Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Unless you are a prime member, Amazon's free shipping (on purchases above $40, I believe?) takes about a week and a half.
Purchases above $25 have free 5-8 day shipping.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Unless you are a prime member, Amazon's free shipping (on purchases above $40, I believe?) takes about a week and a half. That is why now I will search for something on Amazon to read reviews and check the price, then go over and order it from WalMart or Target online if the price matches (which it often does) because their shipping is free two day shipping.

Let's see how much we all love online shopping once these pathetic lowlife politicians start taxing online purchases in addition to whatever sales tax you are required to pay.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
An end of an era. The Brick & Mortar retail model is a tough sell these days. Though I love "window shopping" as much as the next person, I get frustrated with many of these retailers. When I need assistance, nobody seems to be available. The upside is the "here and now"; you can have your product instantly. But whenever Amazon decides to fully roll out same day shipping across the country, these places will be obsolete.

I'll always have my childhood memories of going there and picking out toys and video games. Thanks for those, Toys 'R' Us.
Don't forget however that shopping via Amazon has it's price.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Don't forget however that shopping via Amazon has it's price.
Yep, Just wait until free return shipping comes to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events