Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:16 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its desensitization and its working. I used to be shocked when these stories came up, but anymore, its not shocking at all, even when the age difference is HUGE.

I have a sneaky feeling this is the next big sexual revolution, the same thing was done when interracial relationships were still taboo and even illegal, people were desensitized to it at first, and then slowly, came tolerance and eventually acceptance. We now look back to the times when interracial relationships were illegal and almost consider it foolish it was once viewed so negatively, tv networks and movies were celebrated for being the first to depict it in a positive light, etc. I believe the same things will be used again.
What will be? Relationships between teachers and students or just adults and people under the age of 18?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
What will be? Relationships between teachers and students or just adults and people under the age of 18?
Adults and minors.

The desensitization campaign is pretty obvious if you stop to look, and I will even admit, it has worked on me, I can honestly say I am no longer shocked when I hear of these types of relationships on the news.

History is usually a good indicator of how things will go in the future, it was not that long ago when interracial and homosexual relationships were viewed the same, tv shows and movies would NOT air them, at least in a positive way, it was illegal for a time, most people frowned upon it, but we can look back and see how slowly public opinion was changed about this, and nowadays tv networks and movies that were the first to air it in a positive light, are celebrated for what they did, they are viewed as almost heroic. People are even apologetic for the times when these relationships were discriminated against, its safe to assume, in the future, some of the sexual/ relationship preferences that were frowned upon in our times, were illegal, will eventually be tolerated and accepted, maybe even encouraged.

Im not saying I agree with this though, I just think its the next step down.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
But there was no imbalance of power. Repeat that 10 times.
I am struggling with this concept of imbalance of power in the case of a 17 year old boy & a grown woman of any age. Really; I'm open to persuasion vs trying to be an a**hat.

I am struggling because I spent (what was left of) my childhood after the 6th grade with very poor self-esteem. I thought I was stupid ... In school. I really thought, despite being placed in all honors classes that following year, that I lacked the intellect to ever graduate & go to college.

I stuck out like a sore thumb in my mind. I was tall (5'8"). Wore a size 36C bra. Was mistaken frequently for a high school student & the next year was mistaken for a single mom while I was babysitting. But I thought I was stupid ... because that's what "Mr. R", my 6th grade teacher told me.

He told me I would need to stay after school for study help ... if I ever wanted to make it to the 7th grade. He told me that if I didn't he'd have to send a note home to my parents & I would be in deep trouble.

Eventually; I had to stay late after school every day with him because I was just that dumb. He told me ... I was very lucky that he had the time to help me "catch up" to the rest of the 6th grade class.

He was a big man. I was an 11 year old girl & I was 1st & foremost afraid of HIM & then I was afraid of disappointing my parents. I did what I was told.

And I am really struggling with sharing this "imbalance of power" (of Me vs Mr. R) ... with a 17 year old boy vs a 20-something woman. I'm insulted that it's being called the "same thing". She is not Mr. R & I was not a 17 year old male.

But; I'm trying to keep an open mind because so many here seem to think it IS the same thing & there is a lot of emotion behind it. What am I missing?

Last edited by coschristi; 10-12-2017 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-12-2017, 11:19 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I am struggling with this concept of imbalance of power in the case of a 17 year old boy & a grown woman of any age. Really; I'm open to persuasion...
Luckily I did not have some of the difficulties you had. I was a precocious teenager and most people who did not know me well thought I was 20 when I was 17.

Still, there was a small amount of power imbalance. I was a virgin. Need I say more?

I am grateful for the relationship and still consider her a friend 45 years later despite having felt the need to break up with her at the time and move on to other things. Oh, and I might have been a little shy of 17 when I met her.

Quote:
He was a big man. I was an 11 year old girl & I was 1st & foremost afraid of HIM & then I was afraid of disappointing my parents. I did what I was told.
That is terrible. I'm sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events