Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 04:44 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That doesn't answer the question that was posed, though: Why this case is so high-profile, when there are 100's if kids murdered by their parents, annually. That averages out to about 300+ cases/month. But here we are, with only this one case making the news in the last few months.
I don't keep daily track of how many child related abduction or murdered children cases in the news but some are reported and some are less reported....I'm not sure what the complaint is-- hat you'd rather it go unreported??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 04:58 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The reason the Amber Alert has been cancelled is they are no longer looking for an abducted child, IMHO.

I'm REALLY interested in missing persons cases, and this one looks exactly like the cops know she didn't wander off or get abducted.

I will say, in the Indian Culture they can come up with some exceptionally harsh punishments for children. One Indian family I know kept a child from eating for 2 days because he shook a friend's hand, something that was "western culture" and not their culture. Another dad made his 8th grade son sleep in the yard (the weather was acceptable) for failing a test. He "wasn't welcome in the home".

This case just doesn't pass the smell test, IMHO. He did something to her, and is trying to cover it up with this cockamamey story about making her stand in someone else's yard near a tree at 3:30 a.m.
What Indian culture? The parents are American. Or did you just assume their culture because they are ethnically Indian? Do you assume that every white American has a European culture they follow? Does every Koleski follow Polish culture? Does every MacPherson follow Scottish culture? Does every Friedrichs follow German culture? Does every DeVito follow Italian culture? Does every Vandenberg follow Dutch culture? No, they are afforded the privilege of being assumed to be American unless they insist otherwise. Your racism is showing.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
They also treat woman as property, fathers can sell off their daughters to the highest bidder in arranged marriages in India. Maybe this scumbag figured she'd never be of any value to him in the future, so either killer her or sold her off.
Here we go again with the casual racism. I expected better from the members of CD, who generally are of a higher calibre than one would find on YouTube or Yahoo comment boards.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
This. Girls aren't highly valued in Indian culture, in India baby girls are frequently disposed of, killed or thrown away. This girl also had developmental issues which probably made her more difficult to raise, required therapy etc, and the father decided he doesn't want to be bothered.
This incident occurred in Texas, not India. Irrelevant.

I realize that the parents are ethnically Indian, but it's still irrelevant. If an American of German descent commits a crime, do you pull up stats on crime in Germany?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I don't keep daily track of how many child related abduction or murdered children cases in the news but some are reported and some are less reported....I'm not sure what the complaint is-- hat you'd rather it go unreported??
No, someone asked earlier, why is this case getting nationwide publicity, and not so many others? So some members were trying to guess why this one was chosen for so much exposure. What about all the other poor, abused, dead little kids?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
What Indian culture? The parents are American. Or did you just assume their culture because they are ethnically Indian? Do you assume that every white American has a European culture they follow? Does every Koleski follow Polish culture? Does every MacPherson follow Scottish culture? Does every Friedrichs follow German culture? Does every DeVito follow Italian culture? Does every Vandenberg follow Dutch culture? No, they are afforded the privilege of being assumed to be American unless they insist otherwise. Your racism is showing.
The parents immigrated from India less than three years ago. Their older (i.e. surviving) child was born in India. They are not American citizens and I have no idea how "westernized" they are or are not, but their background is Indian and they spent most of their lives in that country.

The Mathews are educated, English speakers (most likely bilingual) and members of a small Christian church, most of whose members are also of Indian origin. One set of grandparents lives in the Dallas area, I believe, while the other grandparents live in India.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
No, someone asked earlier, why is this case getting nationwide publicity, and not so many others? So some members were trying to guess why this one was chosen for so much exposure. What about all the other poor, abused, dead little kids?
I expect the drama and pathos of the situation contributed, along with general outrage at the father's unbelievable claims and the mother's apparent disregard.

Also, Sherin was previously an orphan - an abandoned child - who was tiny, cute, photogenic, vulnerable, and had special needs. Her adoption should have been a Cinderella story - instead, it was a fairy tale gone wrong, with evil characters triumphing instead of the innocent heroine.

Something about Sherin's little smile tugged at the heartstrings...

I don't think it's that people don't care about other lost children, but that Sherin's case resonated strongly for the reasons listed above. It would be a fine thing if Sherin's memory and brief life could be honored by contributing to causes which assist neglected, abandoned, and orphaned children around the world.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,662 times
Quote:
What about them.... they're tragedies are no less tragic...what about why one rape story or one domestic violence murder makes it in the news while another one goes largely unreported? Usually the kids in the news are white middle class or above- like Samantha Runnion who was murdered about 12 years ago or so, her tragic story was all over the news.. she was white, upper middle class... never occurred to me to complain why they reported her story..Although of course I was aware not all murdered children make it in the news but nonetheless my thinking was not "they shouldn't have reported about her". The fact Sherin was not white and came from India, I think is good in the sense that maybe they are at least making some small progress towards not only reporting on privileged white children.

The vast majority of children who are murdered by adoptive or foster parents are not put out in the news. Very sad, they are just as valuable as "wanted" kids and should like Sherin be covered in the news and community outpouring of grief and support

Old 10-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
It was my understanding the mother dumped her in some bushes.... bio uncle or grandma not to blame for that are they??
No one knows who abandoned Sherin in the bushes in India when she was a year old. She was rescued and taken to the orphanage by passers-by. She was far too young to tell what had happened to her. She was advertised in Indian newspapers as a found child, as is legally required in that country, but no one came forward to claim or identify her. So she remained in the orphanage until she was approximately 18 months old (she looks much younger in the video taken at her adoption ceremony - and she is upset and teary in this video, which shows Sini awkwardly holding her and looking stolid, while Wesley looks happier. Of course, they were strangers to this little one - would that they had remained strangers to her).

Sherin's biological relatives remain unknown - all references to uncles or grandparents or other relatives refer to her adoptive relatives, kin of Wesley or Sini Mathews.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Do you have links to actual reports? I've seen some similar allegations on a FB page, but nothing attributable to a "fellow church member".
In previous posts on what is probably that same FB site, those alleging pinching in church identify themselves as fellow church members, although they understandably do not use their actual names in these posts. Of course, someone could be making false claims for who knows what reason, or they could just be inserting themselves into this sad case for the excitement and drama of it, but the details sounded pretty convincing.

Both parents are innocent until proven guilty, of course...but evidence is adding up and the stories are very, very fishy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events