Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

(was not sure where to place this thread, this is the closest I could find, mods please move if there is a better place)

How often do you still read newspaper printed editions? Obviously, this form of a newspaper has been decreasing for many years, even decades.

I was a newspaper"hound" back in the 80's, even into the 90's. Loved the feel of the paper, and loved to see the paper's layouts, headings, and placement of stories. Of course they still exist, but how many actually get a daily delivery?

For me, I only tend to read newspapers when I travel and stay at a Hotel that offers a free copy in the lobby. I will look at the front pages in grocery stores occasionally, but rarely buy the paper.

Of course, most US papers offer an online version and it tends to offer the same coverage as the printed version, but can certainly be more time sensitive than the printed version, and that is the heart of the problem for traditional newspapers. Some have added subscription fees for their online version with mixed results, as there are always free alternative ways to get news online.

So what is the future? Will it continue to chug along with these paper versions continuing to still exist with the online world? Or will they simply die out at some point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:30 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Never.

They're filthy.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
No.

I'm surprised print media still exists.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:44 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,078,700 times
I used to read three newspapers a day in the 1980s. I stopped reading them entirely in the late 1990s. Right now I read a newspaper about once every two months when waiting to get my hair cut. The paper seems like a joke. It's pretty light, not many pages, not a lot of articles, not a lot of ads. It contains nothing I can't read online for free. Why newspapers even still exist, I have no idea.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:35 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times
I still get a weekend paper (coupons exceed the subscription costs X 10).

That being said, I don't read the paper much but I read 3 papers a day online.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Nope. Even the local news isn't worth the price.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
2013 is the last time I got a "Paper" paper, Read "Paper" online for "free".

I would do trial subscription on/off for years. for 99¢ for a month or six month or some deal. When the Trial/Special was over I would cancel,

I would use a One Use Virtual Credit Card so it would expire and have no credit line left on so they could not auto/bill at the "Full" price. Sometimes they would give me the deal again to keep me in the ABC numbers, sometimes not. But I got tired of playing the games back in 2006,

Would pick up a paper from time to time, and pay newsstand price for it (2013 was the last time). Or they would toss a copy on my driveway as part of some campaign (Most of them went straight from curb to recycle). When I'm in a hotel I would sometime get a Free copy of USAToday at my room in the morning.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
I'm wondering how long they'll be around. We get the Sunday paper delivered (as much for the ads and coupons as the paper itself). My subscription cost me $65 a year - just a $1.25 per paper, so it's worth it. My husband and I used to like sitting down to read the paper but nowadays, we've already seen or read the news before the paper prints it, so it's not relevant. We do get the online version of the daily paper with our subscription, but I maybe only read it once a week.

I think soon newspapers will be obsolete.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
My two "local" newspapers, Both outsourced the printing of the paper to a different (Newspaper) print shop. The Presses are multi-million dollar pieces of hardware. Neither of them could keep then running enough to pay to have them, and the staff, infrastructure to print "local". Both paper print at the same print shop 60 miles away (Multiple competing newspaper printing in the same 3rd competing location is very common).

One Just sold its Office/(Old) print space, and moved into rented office space on main street. The other just sold its Office/(old) print space, and is moving into rented space in a different part of the same building, with other tenants in the building.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
I stopped buying paper newspapers when I got my first electronic device that I could easily carry with me, that held a charge for 4+ hours, and that could access the local and national papers, either in web or ebook format. That was about a decade ago. Prior to that, I used to get the local paper every day.

I do not miss gathering up and recycling the physical newspapers every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events