Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 01:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I am sure there is some validity in some of it - I'm not entirely naive and have had my own experiences. However, the more this goes on and the more people that are being outed, the more I get a strong whiff of bandwagon and "I know how to get my 15 minutes of fame". So I'm withholding judgment (yeah, I know, how old-fashioned).
Really? Who would want this sort of fame? Isn't fear of being seen as a victim what keeps them silent for so long? It is only when one or two of the braver or more desperate write about their experience, that others feel empowered or angry enough to also come forward.

It is fear and shame that silences them. It is rage and empowerment that brings everything out.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Louis C.K. has confessed. His confession makes him seem contrite.

So, if you suspected he was set up, you were wrong.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Louis CK denied all of this before, but now he has released a carefully worded PR statement saying it's true. His apologetic statement rings false on my bull* meter; I doubt he's actually sorry about his behavior and how it has affected other people, except sorry he had to come clean about it, and I doubt I'll enjoy his comedy anymore.

I used to like the guy.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I find this phenomenon fascinating!

Weinstein was apparently an open secret for at least 20 years...but some kind of sea-change happened, to where this **** won't be tolerated anymore. I think it's related to Trump, and the Women's March at the beginning of the year. Maybe it was Hollywood and the media in general getting called out for being hypocrites...I don't know.

There were whisperings and allegations against Cosby for YEARS, that were downplayed and swept under the rug...while he was a powerful and in-demand star. Once he lost his youthfulness and profitability, no one defended him anymore.

Steven Seagal had rumors swirling around him for years, and his wife divorced him for beating her up...NOW it's some kind of shocker? No, not really.

I don't think I'm SHOCKED at all this, I'm more shocked that everyone is willing to name names and kick butt now. And I find it fascinating, and pleasantly surprising.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:09 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Egads. Fascinating ?
I respect this man for accepting accountability ...Understands 20-30 years
Later the ramifications of his actions. I have minimal empathy for this recent group of ' metoo' alleged victims...
I've sat in these groups needing healing..And not a one of us desired to spout out to society ...We healed better in a trusted group....Some of us don't need society's approval to speak up ...We did it with lawyers and therapy. There is no glory for either side in this...So pardon if I'm not getting the fire pit ready for this person.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:10 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Louis CK denied all of this before, but now he has released a carefully worded PR statement saying it's true. His apologetic statement rings false on my bull* meter; I doubt he's actually sorry about his behavior and how it has affected other people, except sorry he had to come clean about it, and I doubt I'll enjoy his comedy anymore.

I used to like the guy.
I agree. It's damage control. Very disappointing to hear as he seemed likeable and down to earth. The fallout has started with a cancellation of his film among other things. This whole issue with harassment and misconduct or crimes have been going on in Hollywood for decades. It's like the floodgates have opened and the past and even present situations are being exposed. Good. Maybe karma is real after all.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Egads. Fascinating ?
I respect this man for accepting accountability ...Understands 20-30 years
Later the ramifications of his actions. I have minimal empathy for this recent group of ' metoo' alleged victims...
I've sat in these groups needing healing..And not a one of us desired to spout out to society ...We healed better in a trusted group....Some of us don't need society's approval to speak up ...We did it with lawyers and therapy. There is no glory for either side in this...So pardon if I'm not getting the fire pit ready for this person.

Well good for you. And I mean that sincerely. A lot of times, victims of abuse feel shame for what happened to them, and maybe it DOES take public out cry to realize "Hey...it WASN'T my fault this happened to me" and find the guts to speak up. When they realize it happened to someone else too, they join their voice to the outcry.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:30 PM

And yes, this phenomenon is fascinating to me. Egads or not.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
He now confirms the rumors. Lets see his supporters or fans defend him now or blame the women for making it up.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...182731068.html
Okay, that I would call something substantial in the way of proof.

Understand, I wasn't defending him in particular, just decrying the mob mentality that is so pervasive these days in both directions (or any direction one chooses to point a mob, really - sad that it is so easy to do so).

Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But you have to think about what it says about how you've internalized a culture that tells you that a man masturbating in front of you is no big deal; that it's not unusual that you have to look at something sexual that you've not agreed to participate in; that your agency and your feelings are not important. This is not just something that men do and women have to deal with (or that anyone does and others have to deal with.)
Well, I've been raped, and you know what? Even though I was young (18) and relatively impressionable, it didn't have any major impact on my life, because I was aware that it was about him, not about me, and because I chose not to let it have power over the rest of my life.

As far as more minor incidents, either it was clumsy attempts at courtship which I likewise didn't feel were worth ruining my own life over and really sort of pitied the boys/men, or real attempts at making me put up with something that I chose not to put up with or care about after the fact.

I don't know, maybe I'm wired weird, or maybe I realized that making this a huge focus of my life would be making my life all about it and I had better things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events