Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:24 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,065,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Well, I'm glad you have been able to figure out what the medical community, with all their training and studies, have failed to figure out or prove.

Just curious, how do you explain the substantial increase in adults who develop food allergies? People who grew up just like this (as I did), and then suddenly have a life-threatening reaction to a food they've eaten their whole life? It's happening a lot.

An interesting aside, there is evidence to suggest that whatever is causing the alarming spike in food allergies may also be responsible for the sharp increase in autism rates, as there seems to be a correlation between the two.
Not saying I've figured out anything....it was my OPINION (which almost everything else is by posters on CD). All I'll say is I knew of no one nor know today of anyone my age or close to it that developed a severe food allergy....it seems to be of recent development and I know now of several kids in our local schools who have such issues. Are you saying you developed a life threatening food allergy in adulthood....that's what I'm getting from your response. If so, why/what do you think the reason is? Here's one report connecting overuse of antibiotics (which I referred to in one of my other posts here) to the increase in food allergies:

https://www.kcet.org/food/reason-beh...ies-discovered

Try to remember grade school. (This may take either a few seconds or hours, depending on how far into the vault those memories are located.) Remember when it came time for lunch. Now, try to remember how many times you heard the phrase "food allergy."

If you're in your mid-20s or older, odds are the answer is "rarely, if ever."

....But one thing we don't have to wait for is what this study suggests about the possible culprit behind food allergies: Our antibiotics-happy culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 12:27 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,779,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Uh huh and as I already explained I repeated it to reiterate why the repeated posts about the solution is to insulate kids w food allergies-- not sure why it's so hard to understand that my post was to reiterate why that doesn't work- since some people continue to repeat isolating the kid is the answer
That's for sure. Allergies are becoming more common for reasons I'm not clear on, and less than 10% of allergies are dangerous, but it's like any other part of what in my field we call 'universal precautions.' You treat EVERYONE as if they were infectious and you treat EVERY allergic reaction as if it were dangerous, because you don't always know going in what's happening. If everyone were using that level of intelligent caution, this little boy would not only be alive and kicking, but we wouldn't have lost an entire generation of hemophiliacs to HIV in the 1980s and there would be no bedbug alerts landing in my inbox this week. How hard is it, honestly?

Isolating this little boy because of a frikkin' food allergy would be like going back to the 1800s when the mentally ill were kept in the locked wing, where the houseguests couldn't see them.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,065,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
That's for sure. Allergies are becoming more common for reasons I'm not clear on, and less than 10% of allergies are dangerous, but it's like any other part of what in my field we call 'universal precautions.' You treat EVERYONE as if they were infectious and you treat EVERY allergic reaction as if it were dangerous, because you don't always know going in what's happening. If everyone were using that level of intelligent caution, this little boy would not only be alive and kicking, but we wouldn't have lost an entire generation of hemophiliacs to HIV in the 1980s and there would be no bedbug alerts landing in my inbox this week. How hard is it, honestly?

Isolating this little boy because of a frikkin' food allergy would be like going back to the 1800s when the mentally ill were kept in the locked wing, where the houseguests couldn't see them.
I agree with you about treating any & all allergic reactions as dangerous and possibly deadly.....better to err on the side of caution, of course and I believe he would have lived if they did that.

You're getting a bit dramatic though comparing a kid with a food allergy potentially getting treated like a mental asylum patient. If such kids are going to be in the general school population what's your opinion on how to handle it then?? I remember a story about a town where a child had a severe peanut allergy (supposedly even a whiff of it would cause a life threatening situation)....the parent's wanted everyone...the WHOLE TOWN to agree & certify that they would not send their kids to school with any food, sandwich, snack that might in any way contain peanuts or peanut byproducts. Yeah.....like that might ever work. Parents like these want a whole system/community to yield to their situation and people to totally aquiesce to their needs, unable to be rational and realize that they are the ones who, unfortunately, have the problem and that it's their burden to bear.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,674 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
1. Schools are legally obligated to "read through the thick file of papers before the first day."
2. Parents say the school was aware. Licensing requires that the school have documentation from a physician including an action plan and Epi Pen for all children with these kinds of allergies. If the school knew of the allergies, and didn't have this other information, they violated state regulations by letting the child attend.
3. Preschools are not required (and in my state, not even allowed) to have a "generic" Epi Pen on campus. See #2 for what they are required to have.
5. Staff is required to be trained on recognizing an allergic reaction. At my school, every staff member is required to be certified in first aid and CPR, but that is above and beyond standard licensing requirements that at least one person on staff who is trained be present at all times. So either the school was in violation of this regulation or there was someone there who was trained in how to recognize the difference.
6. Parents said they knew. Licensing requires that a sign be posted in the classroom so that everyone in the room should have known. If no sign was posted, the school was in violation of minimum standards required of them.
7. Don't know the circumstances. Epi Pens don't always work. Sometimes much higher doses are needed, which are received at the hospital.
8. Doctors are generally pretty smart. I think they could figure it out. However, I sincerely doubt mom would completely neglected to mention that he was allergic to dairy and ate cheese. Again, Epi Pens and treatment don't always work, unfortunately. The longer a person goes untreated, the higher the risk of treatment not working.
9. Again, the school has a legal obligation to make staff aware of all allergies and have it clearly posted in each room. So all staff should have known there was an allergy and been extra vigilant in who they serve. IMO, the school should not have been serving dairy at all if there was a severe allergy.
Well, they don't in our schools. "First day" packets are sent home with the kids each year and inside is a bright pink cardboard form you have to return by the end of the week listing your child's health history. If you don't do it they start sending you emails to get your health forms in.

The parents continue - as does extended family - to insist "his allergies were documented". That's not the same thing as saying I know for a fact they were aware of his many allergies and other health issues.

There's no indication the mother herself - or the hospital - recognized this child was having an allergic reaction.

Despite the excellence your school places on details, other places aren't like that and it's likely whoever handed this little one a grilled cheese sandwich had no idea the child was allergic to dairy.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-13-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 02:18 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,449,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Not saying I've figured out anything....it was my OPINION (which almost everything else is by posters on CD). All I'll say is I knew of no one nor know today of anyone my age or close to it that developed a severe food allergy....it seems to be of recent development and I know now of several kids in our local schools who have such issues. Are you saying you developed a life threatening food allergy in adulthood....that's what I'm getting from your response. If so, why/what do you think the reason is? Here's one report connecting overuse of antibiotics (which I referred to in one of my other posts here) to the increase in food allergies:

https://www.kcet.org/food/reason-beh...ies-discovered

Try to remember grade school. (This may take either a few seconds or hours, depending on how far into the vault those memories are located.) Remember when it came time for lunch. Now, try to remember how many times you heard the phrase "food allergy."

If you're in your mid-20s or older, odds are the answer is "rarely, if ever."

....But one thing we don't have to wait for is what this study suggests about the possible culprit behind food allergies: Our antibiotics-happy culture.
Here is a news report on the increase in food allergies among adults:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...nclear-n805316

I agree with you on the antibiotics. However, according to NPR (I believe), people in the US are exposed to more antibiotics from the food supply than they are from doctor's prescriptions. That's scary.

I'm not saying that antibiotics are the cause, and I'm not saying our "cleanliness" is not the cause. More than likely it is a combination of things like antibiotic exposure, cleanliness, chemicals (like pesticides), plastics, etc. etc. That would also explain why the incidents of allergies and autism are much lower in undeveloped countries.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, they don't in our schools. "First day" packets are sent home with the kids each year and inside is a bright pink cardboard form you have to return by the end of the week listing your child's health history. If you don't do it they start sending you emails to get your health forms in.

The parents continue - as does extended family - to insist "his allergies were documented". That's not the same thing as saying I know for a fact they were aware of his many allergies and other health issues.

There's no indication the mother herself - or the hospital - recognized this child was having an allergic reaction.

Despite the excellence your school places on details, other places aren't like that and it's likely whoever handed this little one a grilled cheese sandwich had no idea the child was allergic to dairy.
Yes, you get those forms every year. But you also fill out separate forms when you actually register your child for school. Medical information is required in those forms when you register, which takes place before a child actually starts school. There are additional forms after that.

And the regulations for preschools are different than they are for elementary/middle/high schools.

Yes, my school is excellent. But everything I said should have been in place are the bare, minimum standards required of all preschools. Even if they did the bare minimum required of them by law, the staff would have had to know.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,878,306 times
From the link above:

Quote:
According to data from FAIR Health, an independent, nonprofit organization focused on transparency in healthcare costs and health insurance information, private insurance claim lines with diagnoses of anaphylactic food reactions rose 377 percent from 2007 to 2016. And half of adults with food allergies developed them after the age of 18.
I'd like to see the figures this is based on, because as it's stated here, I question this as a metric. That figure would need to be adjusted based on how many people had private insurance in 2007 versus 2016, and had coverage where they were able to claim allergy treatments, wouldn't it?

I do suspect that a significant portion of the "developed them after the age of 18" patients had the allergy before that, but either didn't know, or chose to pretend it was a new problem so it wouldn't be denied for being a preexisting condition.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,779,053 times
Quote:
I agree with you about treating any & all allergic reactions as dangerous and possibly deadly.....better to err on the side of caution, of course and I believe he would have lived if they did that.

You're getting a bit dramatic though comparing a kid with a food allergy potentially getting treated like a mental asylum patient. If such kids are going to be in the general school population what's your opinion on how to handle it then?? I remember a story about a town where a child had a severe peanut allergy (supposedly even a whiff of it would cause a life threatening situation)....the parent's wanted everyone...the WHOLE TOWN to agree & certify that they would not send their kids to school with any food, sandwich, snack that might in any way contain peanuts or peanut byproducts. Yeah.....like that might ever work. Parents like these want a whole system/community to yield to their situation and people to totally aquiesce to their needs, unable to be rational and realize that they are the ones who, unfortunately, have the problem and that it's their burden to bear.

People forget that allergic reactions get weaker with less exposure. After 3 years away from peanuts, you might not test allergic to them any more at all. It's probably not a life sentence and after they reach a certain age they can carry and manage their own EpiPens and before that, they can get a daily dose of an antihistamine (or several) so that even if there is an exposure, they're not going to just drop dead.

When you say I'm being dramatic, you're missing my point. I'm saying that preventing a child from going to school because of an allergy -- which several people here are saying is the only/best solution -- is being overly dramatic. There is no reason to do that. Allergies can be managed, and pretty easily.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
From the link above:

I'd like to see the figures this is based on, because as it's stated here, I question this as a metric. That figure would need to be adjusted based on how many people had private insurance in 2007 versus 2016, and had coverage where they were able to claim allergy treatments, wouldn't it?

I do suspect that a significant portion of the "developed them after the age of 18" patients had the allergy before that, but either didn't know, or chose to pretend it was a new problem so it wouldn't be denied for being a preexisting condition.
The CDC confirms these numbers. And it's not that easy to hide a pre-existing condition. If you were ever treated for something, trust me, your insurance company knows about it.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Such kids already are in the general school population. There is currently an average of 2 kids with food allergies in every public school classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events